Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
I would like to upgrade to an HDTV and, since they are so expensive, i just feel like i should know everything about the tv i am going to buy, every strenght and weakness, just like i would do with an expensive computer, or digital camera, or audio equipment.

Does anybody know a good website where i can find reviews and comparisons between the latest and greatest HDTVs?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Revlimit Punk said:
I would like to upgrade to an HDTV and, since they are so expensive, i just feel like i should know everything about the tv i am going to buy, every strenght and weakness, just like i would do with an expensive computer, or digital camera, or audio equipment.

Does anybody know a good website where i can find reviews and comparisons between the latest and greatest HDTVs?
Try avsforum.com .

It's mainly US based, so much of the material may not apply as different geographic areas get different TV models. But you can learn a lot of stuff reading through the posts.

ft

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
be sure to get one with as many digital inputs as possible (dvi/hdmi) and make sure it has a few component inputs which are rare in europe.

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
ftaok said:
Try avsforum.com
I took a look at that one, it's not bad, but i was hoping for something more. It's a good start though, if anybody knows other websites please post the links, they are very appreciated.

About inputs, i'm looking for at least two digital connectors, preferably both hdmi, to connect a playstation 3 and an HD satellite receiver. I can do without component since i don't plan to use it (my current dvd player is going to be replaced by the playstation 3).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
HDTV is rather dynamic and a bit subjective/personal preference. You can start holy wars where people are stuck on one particular aspect of what makes their TV better than yours.

Personally I just bought a 40" Samsung LCD. It had all the features I wanted (2x HDMI + VGA + component) and then some (iPod integration) + good reviews on Amazon.com and I have previous experience with 2 Samsung LCD monitors.

B

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
balamw said:
HDTV is rather dynamic and a bit subjective/personal preference. You can start holy wars where people are stuck on one particular aspect of what makes their TV better than yours.
That is exactly why i feel the need for some professional, objective reviews before deciding which model i am going to buy.

I don't trust user reviews because they are usually too subjective, especially regarding products like HDTVs, since most people who rate them on amazon, cnet and such only own 1 HDTV set, which is the one they just bought. Therefore their reccomandation is close to being irrelevant.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Revlimit Punk said:
That is exactly why i feel the need for some professional, objective reviews before deciding which model i am going to buy.
Yeah, but the point is that it will often be the subjective things that matter to you that will take you over the top, for either an HDTV, digital camera, computer, or car. By the time you make a list of essential features you can't live without and others that are desirable you end up with a pretty short list.

e.g. for me, one of the key things that sway my decisions are the user interface. I actually own two HDTVs, one Samsung and a 27" Toshiba LCD/DVD. I HATE the Toshiba's remote and on screen menus with a passion. I wouldn't get that from reading an objective review, and the controls may be absolutely fine for someone else.

Same is true with digital cameras. I've had two Canon cameras, and am very comfortable with their UI. My parents have a Sony camera, which I find particularly frustrating, but others are very comfortable with.

B

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
balamw said:
By the time you make a list of essential features you can't live without and others that are desirable you end up with a pretty short list.
The minimum requirements that my new HDTV will have to meet are:
1) Low latency (i want to play console games on it)
2) HDMI input
3) 40 to 50 inches screen
4) Flat panel or near flat panel form factor

Everything else is secondary, I am looking for the best picture quality under 5000$.
There are a lot of sets that meet the requirements above, therefore I need some comparisons between multiple HDTVs to determine which one has the better saturation, black levels, contrast, noise reduction, upscaling/downscaling/deinterlacing/edge enhancing algorythms, etc...

The websites of tv makers are obviously useless, they just show some brightness/contrast measurements (often achieved by "cheating" in some tests) and a bunch of weird names that mean nothing (pixel plus? bravia engine ex? truSurround XT?).

Also going to a store is pretty useless too. Limited selection is the biggest problem (at least in my country) and you can't try and feed them with different sources other than the one they are already displaying (which is usually a bad source, like a standard dvd player connected to a 720p native resolution screen through composite).

So yep, I am still thinking I (we) need a good source of reviews to purchase a new HDTV with confidence.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Revlimit Punk said:
I don't trust user reviews because they are usually too subjective, especially regarding products like HDTVs, since most people who rate them on amazon, cnet and such only own 1 HDTV set, which is the one they just bought. Therefore their reccomandation is close to being irrelevant.

So what about the people that have two sets?

Revlimit Punk said:
(pixel plus? bravia engine ex? truSurround XT?)

SXRD does mean something though and it does look very very nice, and I have two HDTV sets.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It sure would be nice if there was a site like DPReview or Steve's digicams or Anandtech that would focus on HD, but there really isn't. http://www.hdbeat.com is an OK aggregator, but adds little actual original content.
Revlimit Punk said:
Limited selection is the biggest problem (at least in my country)
So, if the selection is limited, what use will reviews of models that are not available in your area be to you? Do you actually plan to import your HDTV from another country?

Look at what's available and draw a few more lines in the sand. e.g. will you accept 720p resolutions or require 1080p? If you require the latter, You'll rule out a whole bunch of current model HDTVs that are often 1360x768 ish resolution in your desired size range...

B

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
xparaparafreakx said:
So what about the people that have two sets?
People with 2 or more HDTV sets will be more informative, but still, i would prefer to hear from a team of people that review 4 or 5 new HDTVs each month.

balamw said:
http://www.hdbeat.com is an OK aggregator
Thank you, every link is appreciated.

I'd prefer not having to import it from another country, but if it's the only way to get what I want, I'm going to try. I can't remember the last time I bought tech stuff from a store in Italy anyway, usually I just look for reviews and order the product from an internet store.

The only difference between european models and U.S. models is that european ones have scart connectors, which can be, more or less, an alternative to component (if the signal passed through the scart is RGB). Anyway, even if it didn't have any scart connector, it would be fine anyway, since I don't plan on using it.

About resolutions, I will get a 1080p set if the price is within range and there is no lag upscaling 720p sources. I hope that playstation 3 will do all the upscaling to 1080p even for games that are rendered in 720p resolution, therefore eliminating the lag problem on every native 1080p screen. I'll know when I get my hands on it, i guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.