PDA

View Full Version : Apple Installs XP on Apple Store iMacs

MacBytes
Aug 4, 2006, 09:41 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Apple Installs XP on Apple Store iMacs (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060804104109)
Description:: According to numerous reader submissions, Apple has reportedly installed Windows XP running Boot Camp on at least one Mac in each of its retail stores. We have as of yet been unable to confirm this for ourselves in person, but the number of reports seems to hint this is likely true. The majority of installations seem to be on iMacs, from what we are hearing. We are also getting reports that by default the iMac is running OS X, and only after a customers requests to see a Windows XP-on-Mac demonstration does an employee come over and reboot the system. Thanks for the tips, guys!

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

rodpascoe
Aug 4, 2006, 09:52 AM
Hopefully help a few more converts........:)

kev0476
Aug 4, 2006, 09:56 AM
oh yeah, tons of people need only a few programs for windows. it will help push the maybes over the edge.

iHotu
Aug 4, 2006, 09:59 AM
Now if only they would load the Adobe CS2 suite on an Intel mac...

MacBoobsPro
Aug 4, 2006, 10:09 AM
Now if only they would load the Adobe CS2 suite on an Intel mac...

CS3 would be better :D

Cmon Adobe pull your finger out. Next you'll be saying you need to recode again to take advantage of Leopard! :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly
Aug 4, 2006, 10:19 AM
Only a matter of time before the Apple Stores start selling shrink-wrapped copies of Windows.

jaxstate
Aug 4, 2006, 10:20 AM
I think this is BS (been a BS type of day). If they tell a unknowing customer that they, in no way, support that machine running XP, then I take back my BS statement.

rodpascoe
Aug 4, 2006, 10:24 AM
Only a matter of time before the Apple Stores start selling shrink-wrapped copies of Windows.

Think this will only happen when you can take your snowboard down the slopes of hell! :D

jaxstate
Aug 4, 2006, 10:27 AM
I thought that happened when they release iTunes for windows, again with iPods for Windows, then again with the move to Intell chips, then again with Windows on Macs.....:)
Think this will only happen when you can take your snowboard down the slopes of hell! :D

peharri
Aug 4, 2006, 10:27 AM
As everyone knows, Apple's going to switch to Vista (http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/?p=596) in January anyway ;-)

C00rDiNaT0r
Aug 4, 2006, 10:32 AM
I think during Fifth Avenue Apple Store grand opening, I saw a customer sitting at the genius bar installing XP while Steve Jobs was walking around the store. And I think he was getting some help there.

solvs
Aug 4, 2006, 10:33 AM
I'd prefer a nice OEM discount with it preinstalled, but we all know that won't happen. Probably.

IJ Reilly
Aug 4, 2006, 10:33 AM

Well then, you'd better suit up!

I predicted this when Apple announced Boot Camp, and now it seems even more certain. It's not such a big deal -- you can already buy Windows at the Apple Store, as a part of VPC.

IJ Reilly
Aug 4, 2006, 10:38 AM
I'd prefer a nice OEM discount with it preinstalled, but we all know that won't happen. Probably.

It's a possibility I suppose, but Microsoft has a nasty habit of extracting pounds of flesh from their OEMs. It's not as bad as it used to be, but still I'd rather Apple stay clear of that kind of relationship with Microsoft. PR-wise, it probably wouldn't be a very good deal. Too easy for the media to misrepresent and the public to misinterpret.

michaelrjohnson
Aug 4, 2006, 11:05 AM
Hey, I dig it. (Not Digg, though.)

I think that it will only help Apple's hardware sales.

PDSInc
Aug 4, 2006, 11:28 AM

I predicted this when Apple announced Boot Camp, and now it seems even more certain. It's not such a big deal -- you can already buy Windows at the Apple Store, as a part of VPC.

I have VPC 7. I haven't been using due to the speed issues. Does anyone know if the license for this version of XP could be used with a boot camp installation?

I realize now that this might not have been the proper place to post this question. I did find an answer for any one interested here.
http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/
Thank you for your patience.

projectle
Aug 4, 2006, 01:57 PM
From a legal perspective, your XP license for VPC7 is valid for bootcamp for the following reason...

Your XP license is for that one computer (physical item, not Virtual Machine) as long as it is owned and in posession by you (the owner of the license).

If you had a PPC Mac that had XP loaded in VPC7 and then threw away your old PPC Mac for an Intel Mac, then you could not Legally use your old copy of XP in either VPC7 or Bootcamp because it would have been licensed for your old PPC computer.

Sure, you could make the argument that your copy of XP is fully legitimate as it is only loaded on one computer at one time and would be completely within your rights to do so under the Fair Use laws in the United States, however Microsoft's license agreement disagrees with you.

So, it all comes down to which legal document you agree with more...
Microsoft's EULA or the United States Government's FUoCW.

SiliconAddict
Aug 4, 2006, 02:34 PM

Not a chance. Apple isn't going to actively promote Windows sales. They are trying to promote Mac sales which is why they have a single system running Windows.

Which is an app that runs ON OS X not an app that run next to it. Remember at the end of the day Jobs is in charge. Look at his personality. He will only go so far with supporting Windows and that won't be in store copies of it. They don't need to do that. All a customer needs to know is that the system runs Windows and can do it by popping a CD of Windows into the drive.. They can go anywhere else to pick up a copy. Apple doesn't need to cater such sales because it won’t drive Mac sales which is, at the end of the day the single reason they have boot camp to begin with.. Sorry dude but it isn't going to happen.

SiliconAddict
Aug 4, 2006, 02:44 PM
If you had a PPC Mac that had XP loaded in VPC7 and then threw away your old PPC Mac for an Intel Mac, then you could not Legally use your old copy of XP in either VPC7 or Bootcamp because it would have been licensed for your old PPC computer.

Sure, you could make the argument that your copy of XP is fully legitimate as it is only loaded on one computer at one time and would be completely within your rights to do so under the Fair Use laws in the United States, however Microsoft's license agreement disagrees with you.

So, it all comes down to which legal document you agree with more...
Microsoft's EULA or the United States Government's FUoCW.

No one is going to give a crap the least of which is MS. You call up and tell them that you migrated your license from one computer to another they will still reactivate it. I've done this several dozen times on new PC's I've build for friends.

balamw
Aug 4, 2006, 02:53 PM
Interesting, since Apple is promoting Parallels instead of Boot Camp as the primary way to run Windows...

I've been very happy with Boot Camp, but picked up Parallels at Fry's earlier this week and finally got around to installing Win2K into it last night. I must say I'm very impressed! It's extremely responsive, and I even tried running a DirectX 8.1 game my kids enjoy and that worked flawlessly as well. Surprising since I still only have 512MB of RAM in the box.

In some ways this is a far more compelling demo since you can run Windows without losing OS X.

B

IJ Reilly
Aug 4, 2006, 04:00 PM
Not a chance. Apple isn't going to actively promote Windows sales. They are trying to promote Mac sales which is why they have a single system running Windows.

We've debated this point before I think. I'm happy to wait and see who guessed right.

Just for the record, the reason I believe I'm right is because Apple will be rolling the Boot Camp technologies into Leopard, which means that they are already planning on actively promoting this solution. It doesn't make any retail sense for the Apple stores to be able to demonstrate a product that they don't sell. If a salesperson demonstrates Windows dual booting on the Mac on the floor, and the customer wants to buy it, then Apple will want to sell it to them, right then and there -- not send them away empty-handed, which more often than not represents a lost sale.

It's not such a big deal, really. As I pointed out, you can already buy Windows in an Apple Store.

winmacguy
Aug 4, 2006, 05:16 PM
I can see this confusing a few mums and dads out there who may be browsing the computers.:D I have seen a few people in stores looking at iMacs on display and asking where the 'Start' button is on screen. It is not until I point out to them that it is a Mac and not a PC that they say 'oh, gosh they look the same don't they' before moving on to somthing that they are more familiar with that has more software for it like a PC ;) . All of the school kids I have seen don't have a problem though since they spend all day. Good for Apple though, it might fool a few people.:rolleyes:

Mac Rules
Aug 4, 2006, 05:19 PM
Its true, I was in the Birmingham Bullring store last week, was playing with Garageband with one of the shop guys, when just as I left, I heard the famous XP Logoff jingle, and thought "No way, they didn't?", turned around,m and there was a G5 with the XP logon screen! I was well amused!

Cheers

Mackilroy
Aug 4, 2006, 05:48 PM
Its true, I was in the Birmingham Bullring store last week, was playing with Garageband with one of the shop guys, when just as I left, I heard the famous XP Logoff jingle, and thought "No way, they didn't?", turned around,m and there was a G5 with the XP logon screen! I was well amused!

Cheers

A G5? How did a G5 get the XP login screen?

tangerineyum
Aug 4, 2006, 06:00 PM
So I went to compusa today to pick up a new itrip and lo and behold look what i saw. Took the pics with my camera phone, just in case you folks wanted some verification.

poppe
Aug 4, 2006, 06:17 PM
So I went to compusa today to pick up a new itrip and lo and behold look what i saw. Took the pics with my camera phone, just in case you folks wanted some verification.

Just about to post the same thing. CompUSA has in Frisco, TX has boot camp installed before the MBP 17" was released. I know because I asked if the Apple guy there speculated if the 17" would have a 512 vCard. Then as I was showing my mom the MBP 15" we came upon the iMac with it installed on there.

I rebooted and switched to windows to show her how easy it was. The guy then came over to us and started trying to sell me the iMac (or to my mom) by promoting windows and OS X. He quickly gave up trying to sell us the iMac though. As we were trying to leave the Apple section he quickly took interest back in to us and explained that he has to turn that iMac back to OS X because if his boss saw that it was on windows, he would get in trouble.

So maybe Apple now is just letting it happen?
----------------------------------------------------------------
On another note: To the poster I qouted. How was the Mac's at CompUSA? Mine in Texas are hideous... The iBooks all have dark stains from using so much. the They don't even have a MBP 17" yet there. All of them are dirty and dusty...
The 15" MBP they have has finger prints all over the screen and looks like a 2 year old got ahold of it after eating a Pop-ice.

winmacguy
Aug 4, 2006, 10:40 PM
As good as it looks that is almost to go a look for XP.:p

Marble
Aug 5, 2006, 01:39 AM
Is it possible that resellers might get away with selling MacBooks with Windows as the startup OS to people who will never even know there's a MacOS underneath?

balamw
Aug 5, 2006, 01:45 AM
Is it possible that resellers might get away with selling MacBooks with Windows as the startup OS to people who will never even know there's a MacOS underneath?
There are already plenty of places that will sell MacBooks with Boot Camp and XP preloaded (http://www.expercom.com/product_detail.html?PRODUCT_ID=382433).

Note that you can completely remove OS X from the internal drive, if you so desire. In fact that's the only current way to get the Vista preview installed.

B

menziep
Aug 5, 2006, 04:50 AM

There doing the same at PCworld in the UK

Mac Rules
Aug 5, 2006, 06:04 AM

Thats a good point.....um, well it was on a 30'' Cinema Screen, and I'm sure the G5 was next to it....unless it was Virtual Pc or something.... I'm not sure, but itwas definatly there!

Cheers

MacsRgr8
Aug 5, 2006, 10:14 AM

VPC 7.

When the Apple Store in Regent Street was just opened, I saw a couple of G5's with Two 30" displays attached to them.
On at least one of them, one 30" had Win XP on it in full screen mode.

nagromme
Aug 6, 2006, 11:41 PM
We live in strange and shocking times!

But it's a great way to help people onto their first Mac, and showing it by-request-only seems like a good system. That way they're not promoting the competition as much as promoting their own flexibility/power.