PDA

View Full Version : 17inch Powerbook Question

Jeffx342
Mar 14, 2003, 01:20 PM
Could it be possible that the 17inch Powerbooks get the new Nvidia Geforce FX mobility?

Could this be the reason why it is delayed?

Over Achiever
Mar 14, 2003, 01:44 PM
Prolly not.

Unless they change the specs sheet again right when the ship it...which is unlikely.

Think next revision ;)

Jeffx342
Mar 14, 2003, 01:48 PM
o-well that would be so great running

Quake 3 at blazing 120 fps hi-res w/ anti-aliasing

on the 17inch powerbook

Over Achiever
Mar 14, 2003, 01:50 PM
Yup, or maybe we could have gotten the more power efficient processor (7455 or something)

But it'll come in the next revision i'd assume, just not in the current batch. ;)

willg43
Mar 14, 2003, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately no, the newly announced cards wont likely make it to systems till mid to late may, and thats for pc's. With Apple and portable graphics it seems to be hit and miss of recent, first we finally had top of the line with the radeon 9000, now we step backwards with the geforce 420/440 series. We can only hope the summer to fall brings about a shift back to the best.

filipp
Mar 14, 2003, 04:40 PM
Who said that a GeForce 4 440 Go is a set back? The Radeon 9000 is not top of the line! They are both slimmed versions of their bigger siblings (R9700 vs. GF 4600 TI).

And since I dont like ATI in general, I thank god the 17PB has a nVidia graphics in it.

/ filipp

iJon
Mar 14, 2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by filipp
Who said that a GeForce 4 440 Go is a set back? The Radeon 9000 is not top of the line! They are both slimmed versions of their bigger siblings (R9700 vs. GF 4600 TI).

And since I dont like ATI in general, I thank god the 17PB has a nVidia graphics in it.

/ filipp
if i remember correctly they are not slimmed down versions of the 4600. its a slimmed down version of the 4400. the have a 460go, a 480 go, now the fx's.

iJon

iDan
Mar 14, 2003, 05:16 PM
Hello

iDan
Mar 14, 2003, 05:21 PM
I think that the 12" Powerbook should be configured for power users like the 17" and the rumored new 15" will be...does anyone else think that it will ever get a cardbus slot, L3 cache, DVI output, FW800 with upgradable ram to 1gb and a 1Ghz G4 processor? How soon? Shouldn't the screen size be the only difference? Just a thought....

Kwyjibo
Mar 14, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by iDan
I think that the 12" Powerbook should be configured for power users like the 17" and the rumored new 15" will be...does anyone else think that it will ever get a cardbus slot, L3 cache, DVI output, FW800 with upgradable ram to 1gb and a 1Ghz G4 processor? How soon? Shouldn't the screen size be the only difference? Just a thought....

It seems liek theres simply not space for that. We can only assume Apple did everything possible to make it a 12in powerbook. We have to assume that some of those things would simply not fit in that form factor so you sacrfice size. There are also issues with heat, obviously the metal case conducts a bit more than the plastic iBook but still if they crammed in all of that stuff its bound to throw things off. I also heard that once they have a 1gb chip that will fit in there it will be comaptible but for time being it is limited due to the chips avaible at that size rather than the actualy firmware limits or things of that nature.

iDan
Mar 14, 2003, 05:47 PM
what about moving the 12" PB to a 13" PB and using that extra space? I think a 13, 15, 17 line makes more sense anyway...

Kwyjibo
Mar 14, 2003, 06:13 PM
what about moving the 12" PB to a 13" PB and using that extra space? I think a 13, 15, 17 line makes more sense anyway...

I wouldn't count on that. I think Apple did some research and realzied that people wanted a very small notebook. If they needed extra mroe pro like features they expect ppl to go for the bigger screen size. i think the twelve in powerbook is the perfect size and that the consumers are repsonding to the great size. Also Apple is appeaklign to foregin (asian) markets who demand lots of power in a small size (liek soy's 10 in line). The bottam line is that apple put a full feature set into a very small notbeook and you shoiudl be happy with it. Plus they aren't, plsu they save assembly costs by using the same form factor as the iBook.

willg43
Mar 14, 2003, 07:06 PM
They are indeed a step backwards, the 420, 440, 460 are all based on the geforce 4mx desktop components, ie they are missing key componenets and are not based anything on geforce Ti graphics cards. The only ti based mobile card is the geforce 4200go which is only now out in two dell systems and nowhere else. The 9000mobile is indeed superior to the 420/440/460 with higher frame rates, greater compatibility with opengl and directx and with faster ramdac.

iJon
Mar 14, 2003, 07:19 PM
maybe the reason apple isnt giving us the best video cards is that games utilize them the best, and as everyone knows games isnt our strongest point. just a guess. or they are too scared somebody may slip what there next product will be and they dont work with nvidia or ati to get these great cards out soon. everyone other pc company works with them. i was looking through my latest pc guide and alienware already has the new 9800 pro in their desktops, as wel as dell, we cant even get the 9700.

iJon

filipp
Mar 15, 2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by iJon
if i remember correctly they are not slimmed down versions of the 4600. its a slimmed down version of the 4400. the have a 460go, a 480 go, now the fx's.

iJon

You're absolutely right, I meant 4400TI.
my bad

aethier
Mar 15, 2003, 12:44 PM
Hello

umm ok.. i dont know what that has to do with the topic...

aethier

Megaquad
Mar 15, 2003, 01:27 PM
I could stand the fact of AlBook having 440 Go while 4200 Go was top of the line, but now top of the line is FX Go!! :mad:

I have an idea why they put slower graphics in Albook.

AlBook 17" has 1GHz processor, and I dont think it is able to "feed" faster graphics processor, so if you put GeForce FX in it, it would be useless, because it would be able to operate at maximum 60% or so.. You'd get exactly same speed as with GeForce 440 go :(

aethier
Mar 15, 2003, 03:30 PM
That is a good point... ddoes anyone think that when they undate the 15inch if it will befaster then 1ghz?? cause simply changing the the case is a rather pointless up date, well i guess they woud add ddr sdram or somthing but a speed bump would be good too

aethier