PDA

View Full Version : Survey Pointing At New iTunes Features? Social iTunes?

MacRumors
Aug 5, 2006, 11:22 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacShrine is reporting on a new survey by Apple regarding its iTunes music store (http://www.macshrine.com/2006/08/05/new-itunes-features-revealed/). Feedback is requested about the following features:

- A rewards program for those who buy more from iTunes
- The ability to replace lost songs via a maintenance agreement
- More movies/TV shows to U.K. store
- The ability to view a friend's wish list, with permission
- The ability to view what a friend is currently listening to, with permission (similar to iChat iTunes current track status?)
- The ability to view a friend's playlist, with permission
- The ability to view a friend's recent purchases, with permission
- The ability to view a friend's favorite artists, with permission

As MacShrine pointed out, it would appear as though Apple is continuing the trend of MySpace, Digg, iMix, and the like and continuing to investigate features that would expand iTunes' social feature-set.

Digg This (http://digg.com/apple/A_More_Social_iTunes_Coming_Soon)

jonharris200
Aug 5, 2006, 11:25 AM
Yes to all, please. :D

MarcelV
Aug 5, 2006, 11:26 AM
"More movies/TV shows to U.K. store", uhm, there's only one movie, which is really a musical on the US store. Where is 'more movies' coming from? And yes, I know the rumors, but we still have seen only one kinda' movie thingie....

Felldownthewell
Aug 5, 2006, 11:29 AM
- A rewards program for those who buy more from iTunes

YAY! This would be great...all of it would but this especially.

hyperpasta
Aug 5, 2006, 11:31 AM
Sounds like good iTunes 7 features. Expect it before the end of the year, alongside the new video iPod.

extraextra
Aug 5, 2006, 11:32 AM
- The ability to view a friend's wish list, with permission
- The ability to view what a friend is currently listening to, with permission (similar to iChat iTunes current track status?)
- The ability to view a friend's playlist, with permission
- The ability to view a friend's recent purchases, with permission
- The ability to view a friend's favorite artists, with permission

So it'd be kind of like last.fm (http://www.last.fm)?
Is all this permission stuff necessary though? Like, to view what someone is listening to?

DaveP
Aug 5, 2006, 11:38 AM
I don't really get the appeal of all the "social" features. Maybe I'm a loser.

liketom
Aug 5, 2006, 11:39 AM
why have i not got a survey !!!:mad:

sound like good news to me :cool:

Chundles
Aug 5, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'd love that replacement thing to come in, I lost a lot of music videos when my HDD carked it and I'd like to get them back.

mikeyrogers
Aug 5, 2006, 11:42 AM
I would definitely pay for a service agreement. I'm sure it's cheaper than having to repay for all those songs I lost.

deadkenny
Aug 5, 2006, 11:42 AM
I bet there'll be new Cinema Displays as well along with the new Mac Pro Design. The Cinema Displays are the products which havn't been updated for a looooong time.

AlanAudio
Aug 5, 2006, 11:46 AM
Is all this permission stuff necessary though? Like, to view what someone is listening to?

It would be unthinkable to have those features without permission being given in advance.

Just cast your mind back to those two or three days when iTunes 'phoned home' so that it could recommend similar music to the music you're already enjoying. From the ensuing outcry, you'd think that Apple had abused the trust of it's customers instead of adding value to their listening experience. Fortunately the issue was resolved as soon as Apple staff returned after that weekend.

The hysterical over reaction to that issue was ridiculous, so there's no way that Apple will be risking the same sort of thing happening again, but with real people being able to scrutinise your musical selections.

Flowbee
Aug 5, 2006, 11:55 AM
It's just a survey... of course Apple is considering these options. Not any sort of guarantee we'll see them any time soon.

I would rather see Apple develop tools to make it easy to share this info with friends via other social networking sites... Plug-ins for people's MySpace pages that show "My favorites" "My playlists" "now listening", etc. that all link back to the iTMS. Maybe even a simple imbedded player that plays the 30 second previews.

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 5, 2006, 11:55 AM
Sounds like reasonable features, however I would prefer to rent flickas through iTMS. THAT would be a brilliant idea! Perhaps even with an option to buy the movie at a reduced price if you liked it.
I bet there'll be new Cinema Displays as well along with the new Mac Pro Design. The Cinema Displays are the products which havn't been updated for a looooong time.
:confused: A bit OT, don't you think?

iMeowbot
Aug 5, 2006, 11:58 AM
Apple probably will move on this feature Real Soon Now. This is exactly the territory where Zune/Urge is headed.

dongmin
Aug 5, 2006, 12:01 PM
It's just a survey... of course Apple is considering these options. Not any sort of guarantee we'll see them any time soon.Sure. But what's important is the overall direction Apple is taking, which is that they're interested in adding these so called social features.

And iTunes 7 is not too far off. Maybe MWSF. Maybe sooner, to coincide with the new iPod video 2.0. Personally, I'd like to see better video playback controls implemented on iTunes before they add the gimmicky social features.

Marx55
Aug 5, 2006, 12:02 PM
There is an essential feature missing on iTunes on Mac OS X: the possibility to RESUME playback on the song that you left last time you quit iTunes on Mac, rebooted or shut down the Mac. That is very useful to listen from head to tail long playlists and was present on the application from where iTunes was developed (SoundJam MP 2.5.3) back in year 2000.

I have been requesting this essential feature for ages since iTunes 1.0, yet Apple does not seem to listen. The reason why is beyond my understanding!

And yes, I know the workaround of sorting the songs by last played, but I do not want that. I want a true RESUME PLAYBACK.

Please, please, please!!!

Thank you.

Leondunkleyc
Aug 5, 2006, 12:02 PM

Flowbee
Aug 5, 2006, 12:08 PM
Sure. But what's important is the overall direction Apple is taking, which is that they're interested in adding these so called social features.

A survey isn't an indication of the direction Apple is taking. It's an indication of what Apple is *exploring.* Just as they develop prototypes of products that may never be released, they also do a lot of marketing research on ideas that may never get out of the survey stage.

That being said, it makes total sense that they would start moving in this direction.

jaxstate
Aug 5, 2006, 12:08 PM
Screw all the "view friends XXXX", but being able to redownload lost music is pretty much the only thing they have been missing. I'd love this feature in iTunes, but it has to be a free service. Maybe the first replacement downloads would be free, and a small charge for each additional downloads.

p0intblank
Aug 5, 2006, 12:09 PM
I would love a more social experience! :D I know a lot of people who use iTunes and would love to know what they're listening to/watching at a moment. Also, a rewards program sounds great. I find myself buying more TV show episodes lately.

quigleybc
Aug 5, 2006, 12:11 PM
This is great

Too bad everyone I know uses PC's and Winamp, so all the social stuff is stupid till Mac gets it's user share up.

even people I know with iPods still don't want to use iTunes....drives me nuts...

quigleybc
Aug 5, 2006, 12:14 PM
There is an essential feature missing on iTunes on Mac OS X: the possibility to RESUME playback on the song that you left last time you quit iTunes on Mac, rebooted or shut down the Mac. That is very useful to listen from head to tail long playlists and was present on the application from where iTunes was developed (SoundJam MP 2.5.3) back in year 2000.

I have been requesting this essential feature for ages since iTunes 1.0, yet Apple does not seem to listen. The reason why is beyond my understanding!

And yes, I know the workaround of sorting the songs by last played, but I do not want that. I want a true RESUME PLAYBACK.

Please, please, please!!!

Thank you.

I totally agree....forget this social stuff, and add real useful features like the above, FLAC playback, true gapless playback and burning....

MacAddict1978
Aug 5, 2006, 12:16 PM

Sorry, but I think that feature is pointless except in regards to audio books. I would be happy if they would fix the random play! The ability to adjust it was a great idea that doesn't work. iTunes always plays the same songs out of my 8,000 track library. Fix that!

And I think all the features would be great additions. Especially a maintainence plan.

I would like to be able to browse people's wish lists.... and I don't think that would be an invasion of privacy. Think Christmas!

Flowbee
Aug 5, 2006, 12:17 PM
Does anyone have a link to the actual survey??

lifeboy001
Aug 5, 2006, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=MacAddict1978]Sorry, but I think that feature is pointless except in regards to audio books. I would be happy if they would fix the random play! The ability to adjust it was a great idea that doesn't work. iTunes always plays the same songs out of my 8,000 track library. Fix that!

Always my favorite....perhaps it's the mathematician in me, but the chances of getting repeated songs is surprisingly high even after only 20 or 30 tracks played. What I did to fix this is create an auto-playlist that excludes any track played in the last n weeks and i use that in party shuffle.

hmm...now that i check, there's about a 10% chance of hearing a repeat when listening to 40 songs. Personally, I listen to much more than that per day, but that's me.

jmsait19
Aug 5, 2006, 12:36 PM
"More movies/TV shows to U.K. store", uhm, there's only one movie, which is really a musical on the US store. Where is 'more movies' coming from? And yes, I know the rumors, but we still have seen only one kinda' movie thingie....

yea i noticed that and got a little kick out of it. because having 'more movies/tv shows' presumes that you even have movies to begin with, which the u.k. doesnt. so thats kind of humorous.

rockthecasbah
Aug 5, 2006, 12:39 PM
other than the rewards and ability to recover lost songs, all of these features seem just gimmicky to me...

DwightSchrute
Aug 5, 2006, 12:52 PM
I would LOVE to see a rewards program. The only thing I wouldn't like about it is the number of songs I downloaded before the rewards program was implemented. There is also a feature that is probably impossible becasuse of DRM but I'd like to be able to download my music on other computers. I've got 2 that I use on a regular basis and I wish I didn't have to burn CDs every time I want to put them on the one I don't download to.

mdntcallr
Aug 5, 2006, 01:19 PM
Hey i would love to see rewards also. maybe discounts on future ipod buys and accessories.

depending on how much you buy.

also, setting up a communal aspect of itunes would help drive community alot more. which would be great. it would make itunes feel less corporate.

and hell, with the loss of forum personell at apple, this could also come to bite them in the ass. they need good people to manage this.

scphillipp1
Aug 5, 2006, 01:34 PM
I've been squawking about iTunes lack of a true party mode for quite some time. If a song is playing (in party mode) and someone is browsing when they click on a song it should add to the list already playing, stopping the current song playing, and playing the new song isn't very party friendly. Yeah I know all about right clicking, adding to playlist yea, yea, yea. But during a party how many times does someone screw that up? Media Player gets it - why can't apple??
Also, album cover lookup should be built in, again, Media player gets it.
And, iTunes should be able to "watch" a specified folder, adding songs to it, or taking them out, should automatically add or take them out of iTunes.
again media player gets it, why can't apple.
and, when playing songs and using visualizer, when it comes to a music video, why can't the visualizer switch to the video, then when done go back to the visualizer?
and finally, why can't I associate a song with more than one album? ie I have the same song on two or three albums, and they have to be duplicated to keep their associated album names. Why do I care? If you desire to listen to your music by album, rather than by song this is important.
Before apple adds a bunch of fancy new features, I think they should improve on the ones they have.
Steve in Pa.

netdog
Aug 5, 2006, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah, this stuff is all way better than gapless playback would be. :rolleyes:

Fiveos22
Aug 5, 2006, 01:52 PM
So it'd be kind of like last.fm (http://www.last.fm)?

That's exactly what I thought, you should be giving permission (for others to see your stuff) by turning the feature on, similar to the sharing feature.

Furthermore, doesn't listening to music mean you are being asocial?

Super Dave
Aug 5, 2006, 02:02 PM
I don't really get the appeal of all the "social" features. Maybe I'm a loser.

No, you're the winner. 90% of the time the social features on stores are things that people click when they are bored and have nothing to do, or have money burning a hole in their pocket.

Maybe 10% of social bookmark usage on commercial sites is for finding new avenues of interest.

David :cool:

Chupa Chupa
Aug 5, 2006, 02:20 PM
I don't get you people that would pay for a maintenance agreeement to restore lost songs. Why would you pay for something that you can easily backup for a few cents...and in fact are already backed up since a copy is on your computer and another on your iPod.

What I'd like to see is higher bitrate d/ls. Now THAT is something I might pay a few cents more for. Maybe $1.25 for a 320kbps song would get me to d/l more songs. But I really prefer ripping my own CDs so I can control quality to the extent I can.

treblah
Aug 5, 2006, 02:31 PM
What I'd like to see is higher bitrate d/ls.

I concur. I honestly cannot tell the difference between 128k and 192k but it is embarrassing that iTunes is the lowest quality store bitrate wise.

If Napster/MSN/Yahoo!/etc. were not run by complete morons they would exploit this fact in an advertising campaign. :p

Flowbee
Aug 5, 2006, 02:43 PM
I concur. I honestly cannot tell the difference between 128k and 192k but it is embarrassing that iTunes is the lowest quality store bitrate wise.

If Napster/MSN/Yahoo!/etc. were not run by complete morons they would exploit this fact in an advertising campaign. :p

Except for the fact that, like you, most people can't really tell the difference. Especially when listening through their computer speakers or iPod earbuds.

Thataboy
Aug 5, 2006, 03:18 PM
I think the social things are kind of gimmicky. Do a lot of people REALLY use iMixes? Yes, I am sure you all use them all the time ;)

Anyway, I think that Apple (and any online digital media service) should offer to replace lost files at cost. In other words, figure out how much the bandwidth is worth, and charge that. It is unreasonable to expect Apple to offer to replace tons of files for free.

Similarly, I think that, when Apple offers better quality files, they should offer to upgrade your files at cost (similar to above). I am not saying they would be legally bound to do so, but it would be a great value-add to the digital media purchase experience.

I don't think there should be some subscription maintenance insurance program thing for these services (assuming that's what they want to do).

treblah
Aug 5, 2006, 04:08 PM
Except for the fact that, like you, most people can't really tell the difference. Especially when listening through their computer speakers or iPod earbuds.

That doesn't matter. We are talking about marketing baby! ;)

You can't be logical when it comes to marketing… :D

Fiveos22
Aug 5, 2006, 04:22 PM
I think the social things are kind of gimmicky. Do a lot of people REALLY use iMixes? Yes, I am sure you all use them all the time ;)

I, for one, have been waiting for Apple to incorporate at kind of MoodLogic (http://www.moodlogic.com/) mode for iTunes. Being able to select a style of music (a mood, a texture, similar sounding artists) would be a great addition onto iTunes. And because different people interpret things differently, it would only make sense to have people beable to "tag" the styles and then share them (like comparing notes).

I doubt this will be in the next iTunes, but I can always hope.

TheSailerMan
Aug 5, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'm still waiting for the option to assign 2+ genres to songs. If I have a song that is part of a movie soundtrack, but would otherwise be classified as rock, I want to be able to find it with the rest of my rock songs, but also with all my other movie soundtracks!

UWF404
Aug 6, 2006, 01:00 AM
Can one view shared playlists? I know I can view and play a shared library but not sure if I can view a playlist?

balamw
Aug 6, 2006, 01:03 AM
Can one view shared playlists? I know I can view and play a shared library but not sure if I can view a playlist?
Yes, when you use iTunes sharing over the local network, all the playlists, including Smart PLaylists are accessible from the remote/client machine.

B

Eraserhead
Aug 6, 2006, 04:38 PM
Yes, when you use iTunes sharing over the local network, all the playlists, including Smart PLaylists are accessible from the remote/client machine.

B

Unless they disable access to some playlists, by setting 'Share selected playlists' only. (sorry for being a smartass as this is really unlikely ;) )

A load of good ideas...

Actually most of them sound really cool, it'd be good if Party shuffle worked properly.:)

Flowbee
Aug 6, 2006, 04:59 PM
That doesn't matter. We are talking about marketing baby! ;)

You can't be logical when it comes to marketing… :D

Start explaining the difference between bitrates to people and watch their
eyes glaze over. And if you advertise that the new iTunes music sounds better than last week's iTunes music, you run the risk of pissing off all the people that bought the billion "low-quality" songs.

I think that if they improve bitrates, it will be done quietly and gradually.

morespce54
Aug 7, 2006, 10:48 AM
Just cast your mind back to those two or three days when iTunes 'phoned home' so that it could recommend similar music to the music you're already enjoying. From the ensuing outcry, you'd think that Apple had abused the trust of it's customers instead of adding value to their listening experience. Fortunately the issue was resolved as soon as Apple staff returned after that weekend.

The hysterical over reaction to that issue was ridiculous, so there's no way that Apple will be risking the same sort of thing happening again, but with real people being able to scrutinise your musical selections.

Maybe the reaction was a bit "overkill"... but nobody was aware that they were introducing this new "feature" in their software. Neither we knew what information was being sent. Sometime I just miss those days where I had to "connect" to the Internet to use the web.

It was much slower but at least I had the impression that a knew a bit more of what was being sent between my Mac and the net... :rolleyes:

morespce54
Aug 7, 2006, 10:55 AM
Oh yeah, this stuff is all way better than gapless playback would be. :rolleyes:

On the iPod side: Not just "gapeless" playback but "crossfade" payback... That can't be that hard... :rolleyes: ;)

irovr
Aug 9, 2007, 11:04 PM
We've actually developed something very specific for iPhone users that has a companion desktop app which sends your listening history up to the network. irovr.com

twoodcc
Aug 9, 2007, 11:26 PM
Yes to all, please. :D

yes, i agree