PDA

View Full Version : Should I dump my powerbook g4 400?


jrvas
Mar 14, 2003, 07:07 PM
I'm on the margin. Should I trade in my first gen powerbook g4 400 for a new powerbook. I looking for a larger harddrive ( 10 gb now) I am also want a cdrw drive and upgrading would cost as much as trading in for new 867mhz powerbook. What do you think. Should I wait to see what apple has in store for the 15 inch? I presently cant do much with the 400 mhz edition, most of the hardrive is taken up by software. What is the resell value on a 400 mhz. Thanks

vniow
Mar 14, 2003, 07:18 PM
There's really no telling when the revised 15" is supposed to come out, some people say that they were supposed to be here last Tuesday while some people are waiting until the next Tuesday (or is that iPods?)

But anywayz....

You could probably get at most $1100 out of your current TiBook, but I've seen a bunch of 500Mhz sell for $100 less so $1000 or below is your best bet if you intend to sell it (although if you lower it to $850 I might be able to take it off your hands in a week or so.http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=257466)

f-matic
Mar 14, 2003, 09:24 PM
as a former owner of a pb g4/400, i say sell the thing. the first g4 is a pretty puny machine in many respects - 10gb drive only, cd-rom not cd-rw, 8mb vram, etc. in fact i traded down for a pb g3/500 because the g3/500 was in many respects faster (for my purposes, audio work, at least).

in any case, i sold mine on ebay (including upgraded 40gb drive and 768mb ram, no other extras) for $1375, so you may be able to snag a good deal (i was surprised by how much i got for it). you may want to direct people's attention to this article:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/PowerBookG4_fall2001/powerbook_g4_667_quake3.html
(scroll down to the logic audio test section).

it points out how the g4/400 and 500 are better for audio than the g4 550/667. might give someone an incentive to shell out big bucks!

best,
np

macphoria
Mar 14, 2003, 10:32 PM
Sell it.

Apple goes by 6 months upgrade schedule. That means 15" PowerBook is up for upgrade by April/May. You could use the money for getting 15" PowerBook Aluminium version.

hugemullens
Mar 14, 2003, 11:18 PM
I wouldnt sell it until you have a firm idea what you want. I think that it will get you bye until the 15 albooks come out, then ditch yours as fast as possible and get a new one!

macphoria
Mar 15, 2003, 09:46 AM
I disagree. I wouldn't wait. One, your PowerBook 400 is already old. Two, when new 15" Aluminium PowerBook comes out, your machine will depreciate even more. You should sell it while Titanium version of PowerBook still exist in Apple product line.

mymemory
Mar 15, 2003, 11:05 AM
Sell the the thing!!!

I have two Pismos and one with 30GB Hd drive and cost me $1000.

I can go to G4 500 for $200 but any way...

You Ti is just one of a line of Powerbooks, there is nothing special about the one you have. At list The Pismo was the top of the line of that series. The firs serie of G3 PB cost nothing and worth nothing, the equivalent of what you have.

The new 12" is a very good deal and a "semi-clasic" computer, just like the Pismo.

Apple alway at the end of some product line trow the house out the window, it burn all the bullets, that is the product you shul get, NEVER the first one of the next generation, always the last.

I gomy 2 Pismos just because people got crazy with the Ti Books, I got 2 of them for $1000 each!!! the best deal ever and they run so well.

Drop that Ti and get a 12" fully loaded and a separate 17" LCD display if you can, That is the best deal right now.

KingArthur
Mar 16, 2003, 12:50 PM
I personally helped my g-ma select her first computer since her LCIII, and we came to the conclusion to get a laptop, and the TiBook400 had just come out, she got one. She hasn't complained since. It may be a little slow and not much of a gaming system, but she says it works great for her. I say hold onto it (it is a pretty sturdy machine) and wait for the next round of laptop upgrades (I am betting on the iBooks being upgraded and same with the 15" PowerBook in the comming months). Unless you need a new system right now, I say wait and see. The DDR support would be worth it, and plus, the benchmarks I have seen on the 867 make it worse than the iBook in some respects. Wait for the 15" upgrade and maybe Apple will have fixed the lack of DDR utilization, and at the very least, you will be getting a better machine overall. After the announcement, I would listen to hear how long the wait will be for shipping, and as long as it isn't nearly as bad as the current 17" book, well, I would probably go for it. And if all else, you could get a previous generation PowerBook for a little less than you would spend now.

Just my two cents worth

robotrenegade
Mar 16, 2003, 01:14 PM
Wait....the new 15 well be nice.

hvfsl
Mar 16, 2003, 06:01 PM
It is always best to wait for as long as posible before getting a Mac. I was going to get your PowerBook G4 400, but I waited 2months and the G4 550 came out, so I got that instead.