Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Strictly speaking you probably need the "retail" version.

An OEM version is meant to be sold with a new computer (OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer"). However, if the store will let you buy it, it's not different from the retail version in any way that you'll notice.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
You can buy and install the OEM version from Newegg just fine. It's totally within the license agreement to do so.

tinydancer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
North Carolina
why would I not use OEM version if it is all the same. Could I potentially encounter problems by only using the OEM version?

I guess I'm just getting the install discs without manuels and lit. correct? Are the manuaels and lit worth $110.00?

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
tinydancer said:
Are the manuaels and lit worth $110.00?
Nope. You'll find all the help you need online or in Windows help. Note that you also don't get any phone support from Microsoft either (also worthless).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The main practical differences between OEM and retail are.

1) You can transfer the retail license to another computer when you want to
2) You can actually perform "upgrade" installs with retail media, not OEM.

B

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
reflex said:

An OEM version is meant to be sold with a new computer (OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer"). However, if the store will let you buy it, it's not different from the retail version in any way that you'll notice.

Many stores will sell you an OEM version together with a hardware purchase. Seems like selling a Windows OEM version together with a MacBook would be legal. Many stores will sell you a Windows OEM version if you buy a USB cable with it. Should be the cheapest hardware that you can find.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
gnasher729 said:
Many stores will sell you an OEM version together with a hardware purchase. Seems like selling a Windows OEM version together with a MacBook would be legal. Many stores will sell you a Windows OEM version if you buy a USB cable with it. Should be the cheapest hardware that you can find.
The new OEM license does not require a hardware purchase anymore.

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
I've never heard of not being able to upgrade an OEM version of any windows product. As a matter of fact most builders, like gateway or dell will ship out an OEM upgrade OS if you buy a computer from them right before a new OS comes out.

Serpent

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
You can upgrade an OEM version all you want. I've gone through 3 full system overhauls with one OEM license, and the only problem I've had is I had to call-in the last time to speak to some drone in India to get the activation code. The same thing would have happened if I had been using a retail license as well.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
pjarvi said:
You can upgrade an OEM version all you want.
What I was saying you can't do with an OEM is upgrade an existing OS.

e.g. if you wanted to upgrade a Windows 98/2K install to XP, you could do it with media from retail product (upgrade version or not), but not with OEM.

OEM requires you to install to an empty drive or partition.

Whether you can upgrade that to Vista or beyond, depends entirely on the details of the OEM license and Vista's license when it is released. Unfortunately the individual OEMs all have variations on a theme, and the EULAs can be quite different. e.g. my Dell OEM license gives me downgrade rights, which usually are not granted with OEM licenses.

B

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
vista beta 2 will install over an oem version of XP. I do not see any reason why when its released that it wont either.

Serpent

piltupso

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2006
I bought an xp pro oem version from new egg, still waiting on delivery so I haven't been able to try it out. Not that I am an expert but through my reading the only real difference I could find about using an OEM copy was once installed on a machine the license stayed with that machine even if the machine was no longer in use. Once I install it on my Mac Pro I can't legally uninstall it and install it on a different machine. Am I on the right track here?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
serpent said:
vista beta 2 will install over an oem version of XP. I do not see any reason why when its released that it wont either.
Read what I was saying carefully.

If it works like previous versions Vista Beta 2 Retail, i.e. full packaged product (Upgrade or not) will upgrade your XP install. However, it is very unlikely that you can upgrade to Vista using a copy of Vista OEM, as OEM discs have typically only allowed for clean installs.

piltupso said:
Am I on the right track here?
You're on the right track, even though some folks have been able to transfer apparently non-transferable licenses. It's entirely up to MS what they will do.

B

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
reflex said:

--------
I buy the OEM versions. For two reasons. They are far more cost effective than retail boxes in the stores, and they are FULL VERSIONS, without exception, according to MS. For BootCamp you must have a FULL version with SP2. I recently set up two computers with the OEM versions from NewEgg. The OEM version does lack a couple of set up features that the retail box version has, but they are minor.

Cheers -- Bob --- ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.