PDA

View Full Version : Dual 867 vs 1Ghz PowerMac

iWantAMac
Mar 15, 2003, 05:56 AM
Hi, I will be looking to buy a new Mac in the not-to-distant future and would like to know how the old(ish) DP 867Mhz PM and the new 1Ghz (sinlge processor) PM would compare performace wise.
(I guess now would be a good time to ask whether the stores would still have any Dual 867s in stock...?)
I will be using the machine primarily for Pro Tools (6) in conjunction with either an Mbox or Digi 001 (possibly 002).

Also, are the old stock Dual 867s (if there are any) at all cheaper than they were now that the new PowerMac line has been unleashed?

Thankyou,
Will

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 15, 2003, 08:53 AM
go to other world computing they have done some reviews on these machines and upgrades. you will find the single 1 gig beets the dual in most things. But programs that know how to use the 2nd cpu will be faster and you can do things at the same time faster say run itunes while doing the dreaded gauzeen blur! both have advantages and disadvantages. A gamer would go for the single, a photoshop dude would go for the dual.

Bear
Mar 15, 2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by iWantAMac
I will be using the machine primarily for Pro Tools (6) in conjunction with either an Mbox or Digi 001 (possibly 002).
With what you are running, a dual processor machine will be a help. Also, anybody who runs multiple applications at once will usually be benefited by a DP machine.

Look for a good deal on the discontinued dual 1 GHz machines if yuou can't find a dual 867 MHz one.

crazzyeddie
Mar 15, 2003, 09:53 AM
go for the dual 867... the dual processors will help with almost everything because it can split active processes between computers. Example: Finder and ProTools or ProTools and iTunes. More and more apps are becoming dual processor aware nowadays.

iWantAMac
Mar 15, 2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
go to other world computing they have done some reviews on these machines and upgrades. you will find the single 1 gig beets the dual in most things.
I'm sorry, I was unable to find any such info on this site (http://eshop.macsales.com/). Could you post a link?

bousozoku
Mar 15, 2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
go to other world computing they have done some reviews on these machines and upgrades. you will find the single 1 gig beets the dual in most things. But programs that know how to use the 2nd cpu will be faster and you can do things at the same time faster say run itunes while doing the dreaded gauzeen blur! both have advantages and disadvantages. A gamer would go for the single, a photoshop dude would go for the dual.

Unless the gamer plays Quake III--it knows how to use both processors. :)

Btw, I've never seen reviews at OtherWorld Computing. :(

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 15, 2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Unless the gamer plays Quake III--it knows how to use both processors. :)

Btw, I've never seen reviews at OtherWorld Computing. :( Ill see if a can find it. i had on my desk top for the longest and then threw it away. and yes your Quake statement is correct to bad not all programs are done this way.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 15, 2003, 12:31 PM
here it is they give a nice bunch of benchmarks on the newer machines compared with newer upgrades. both single and dual.http://eshop.macsales.com/reviews go to performance testing and then click on benchmarks for single and dual.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 15, 2003, 12:43 PM
here is 1 set of benches from xbench scores. they also did many test with framrates on games and other apps. notice how a upgraded mac to a single 1.2 ghz beats the dual 867 in this one score.

Megaquad
Mar 15, 2003, 01:35 PM
Xbench only measures one processor..
dual 867 would beat 1.3 ghz for sure when running dual optimized apps or more apps at the same time

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 15, 2003, 02:05 PM
Here are some quake3 benches, yes running multiple apps a duallies is better. Remember most apps do not use that 2nd cpu like quake 3 does. for example Return to castle wolfenstein. ill post that bench next just for comparison purpose to see show how some apps dont benefit from 2 cpu's.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 15, 2003, 02:09 PM
Here is the RTCW benches notice how the duallies dont fare well compared with a slightly faster single.

MacsRgr8
Mar 16, 2003, 03:34 PM
Cool, Don't Hurt Me! :cool:

Where did you find these benchmarks?

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 16, 2003, 03:41 PM
Go to my 3rd post and click on my link, they did other games and apps, i just happened to grab these and iam a wolfenstein fan.

MacsRgr8
Mar 16, 2003, 05:24 PM
Check.

Tnx!

edit: Sorry, seemed to have missed it the first time. :rolleyes: