Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
Does anyone know the REAL difference between music and data CD-Rs? I use my data CD-Rs to burn music fine and music CD-Rs burn data fine, so what is the difference?

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
Technically, music CD-Rs may have a special code that allows them to be used in stand-alone music recording devices. These stand-alone devices check for the code. If the CD-R doesn't contain the code, then the media can't be used in the device. This ensures you won't be able to use a data CD-R in devices that are marketed specifically for recording music.

Since computer drives don't check for this special code, you can use both data CD-Rs and music CD-Rs for any purpose. The bottom line is you'll save yourself some cash by using only data CD-Rs for burning CDs on your Mac.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I thought the music CD-R's included a fee to be payed to the RIAA or some other organization to meet lost royalties. I could be wrong. :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by Stelliform
I thought the music CD-R's included a fee to be payed to the RIAA or some other organization to meet lost royalties. I could be wrong. :)
That too.

It's both a fee issue and a technical issue. You need CD-R Audio media to use the standalone CD Recorders.

So, don't buy the CD-R Audio media (unless you need it for a standalone recorder) as it gives those bastards money.

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
Originally posted by Bear

So, don't buy the CD-R Audio media (unless you need it for a standalone recorder) as it gives those bastards money.

I bought one recently. Looking like a vynil, you know, so retro... It's just worth it :)

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Originally posted by Stelliform
I thought the music CD-R's included a fee to be payed to the RIAA or some other organization to meet lost royalties. I could be wrong.

Originally posted by Bear
So, don't buy the CD-R Audio media ... as it gives those bastards money.

You mean don't buy the CD Audio since it gives the artists money? I think paying the artist is fair enough.

The problem is if I pay an artist via this method, why should I pay Apple $1 to download a song (if their really will be a music service). Or when I burn a CD of my sister singing.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by GregAussie
You mean don't buy the CD Audio since it gives the artists money? I think paying the artist is fair enough.

The problem is if I pay an artist via this method, why should I pay Apple $1 to download a song (if their really will be a music service). Or when I burn a CD of my sister singing.
The money doesn't go to the artists as far as I know.. it goes to the RIAA and such...which they then use to find new ways to screw over the consumer.

I doubt much if anything goes to actual artists.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
When the CD standard was devised, a series of books describing the capabilities of each format were written, RED book is the defacto music standard, and it includes the PQ code that most CD players needed to grep the disc, ORANGE book was the data standard, it didn't need PQ code and was designed for CD-rom, there are others, RAINBOW, YELLOW and WHITE are all different multimedia standards.

The trouble used to be that audio tracks burnt to CD-rom wouldn't play back on domestic players, but most new machines will play them now. To be certain, burn via Jam at SINGLE speed (it makes an audible difference) for RED book audio CD's.

Toast audio CD's are ORANGE book, but will probably work OK.

To allow direct mastering of the glass masters for CD reproduction, RED book CD's are required, otherwise the plant will have to rip the audio, introduce the PQ code and then go to glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.