Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Well the CD-ROM drive on my blueberry clamshell just went dead, I tried to take it out and apart to see if there was any chance to fix it myself but nothing worked.

I've been looking for a replacement (eBay is the only place I can find them at) but they're few and far between.

Is there any other drives that will fit inside the casing and hook up to the faceplate or an I stuck with trying to find a clamshell specific drive?

Thanx.
attachment.php

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I saw this site it may help -the cdrom drive was $79.00 dont know how that compares with ebay but take a look this was for specific ibooks. site is http://www.wegenermedia.com/ibookp.htm they are in columbia S.C. they also showed a cd burner for about 150.00 good luck. worse case scenario a portable that you use off the usb? anyways good luck

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Ick, those replacements cost $80, that's about $30 more than I'm willing to spend on this seeing as I *might* end up selling this soon due to lack of ca$h on my part.

I've seen somewhere that the CD-ROM drives in the older iMacs will fit but I don't know for sure, I can find one of them easily, a clamshell specific is more difficult to locate.

An external CD drive would be sorta pointless I'm afraid since I don't think OSX supports booting off of them and it would be too slow anywayz and this is a rev.b model without firewire so an external solution won't work, but thanx for the suggestion.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Im sure if there is other alternatives someone like ijohn may be able to help. you may even call his work at general cybernetics and ask them for a suggestion( you know the advertisement at the top of this site) i would think that a old imac drive would be to balky and a different make but thats just speculation by me. well at least its not your hard drive. good night

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by vniow
Nobody loves me!
Could have always post a

Help Message

over in the Mac Help forum. ;)

But the $80 one was about all I saw, except for the people that were replacing iBook drives -- but couldn't tell what type of drive or version of iBook. :(

Nor did I find anything in iBook repair...

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Im sure if there is other alternatives someone like ijohn may be able to help. you may even call his work at general cybernetics and ask them for a suggestion( you know the advertisement at the top of this site) i would think that a old imac drive would be to balky and a different make but thats just speculation by me. well at least its not your hard drive. good night

Not trying to be an ass here, but I'm pretty sure iJon does not work at GC. You are thinking of BackToTheMac, aka Chuck. He is with General Cybernetics. iJon's parent's do own an Apple retailer though, so he might be some help after all.

By the way, I know that wegernermedia.com has the part you want, but I have had a VERY bad experience with them, so just be careful and keep all of your communication with them.

Regards,
Gus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.