Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with putting new hard drives in a 1.33ghz iBook 12" and in a 12" PB 1.5ghz -- that both have the sensor motion thing on the hard drives?

Is this motion sensor a physical part on the hard drive or something within the connection itself?

I also want to put a superdrive in the iBook 1.33ghz.

If anyone has any tips or advice, would be welcomed... as I believe the iFixit site's photos are for earlier revision machines.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Don't worry about the motion sensor--that's not physically connected to the hard drive at all. The sensor is somewhere else (I assume on the motherboard) and is just used to indirectly power off the drive in case of a sudden accelleration. You can replace the drive without worrying about it at all.

As for other tips... sorry. It's rather a challenge to replace the drive in either machine, I believe, but any PATA drive should work (unless it's too thick--not sure what height each accomodates). If there's any doubt, have a look at XLR8YourMac.com's upgrade database--somebody else has probably tried it, and may have tips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.