PDA

View Full Version : iMac DV Slot Loading Problem

ant_2k1
Mar 15, 2003, 10:45 PM
Hey,
I was just wondering whether I am the only person with this problem. I am running an iMac DV 400 with the slot-loading CD/DVD drive, lately I have noticed when using a CD which has a printed label on it (a sticker type one which you make yourself), it won't fully eject the CD and struggles with getting out. When I use a regular CD without any sort of 'sticker label' it ejects them fine.
Anyway, its no big problem, I just have to have a pair of tweezers ready when ejecting.
Thanks.
Ant.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 15, 2003, 10:55 PM
Hate to mention this but in slot loading macs you arent supposed to use cd's with labels on them for just that reason. mark your cds with a sharpie not sticky labels.

Mlobo01
Mar 15, 2003, 11:13 PM
the problems with stickies is that it off-balances the disk! sort like the little metal brackets they put on car rims or wheels, it may weigh insignifantly, but when spinning it throws the disk out o'wack and the lens cannot read it.
this has happen on my tv dvd player and on my iMac DV 400 aswell, I used the tweezers aswell
recommendation; use a marker. Mario

ant_2k1
Mar 15, 2003, 11:47 PM
Ah I see. Thats pretty crap, I like my CD labels. I'm thinking of getting a 12 inch Powerbook later in the year, do you guys know if the slot-loading in them would be able to handle CDs with these labels better? I'm guessing they would considering they would have a more robust optical drive and that CDs with sticker-labels are a much more common occurance nowadays.
Thanks.
Ant.

Mlobo01
Mar 16, 2003, 12:22 AM
in my iBook I had issues with memorex cds, and it was the white coat of paint that made it impossible for me to view burned media, I stopped using memorex and now I buy cds that have the most minimal coating, it doesnt affect
commercial cds nor dvds, because most use a silkscreen process to print, while the home labels requires the paper for you to print on, and the adhesive for it to stick so its thicker, I had issues with dvds from blockbuster for attaching a scanbar stickie, it sent the dvd spinning sideways almost damaged the drive and lens.
white paint is always very transparent in any media so the memorex media use a thick layer of it. my suggestion is to go to an applestore and
test it on one of their units an see what happens. Mario

KingArthur
Mar 16, 2003, 12:02 PM
lol. I thought that problem was common place on all slot-loading iMacs. I've used at least 3 of them and even a TiBook400 and on all of them, CDs, no matter what kind, seem to stick once in a while while trying to eject. I just grab ahold of the cd and gently tug and it'll kick it the rest of the way out. If a CD sticks too much, the computer just brings it back in and you have to try ejecting it again. I thought all slot-loading drives have this problem, but then again, it may just be my luck;).