Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driedapricot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
Asia
Have the PC community finally figured out the best laptop in the world? Just ran across the Benq Joybook, with a 15 inch widescreen and specifications pretty close the the 15 inch powerbook in terms of memory, design and I/O options.....Apparently the computer was launched in Asia in feb 2003. Interestingly the pricing is about 73,000 NT dollar or about 2100 USD....

links:

http://global.benq.com/products/joybook/joybook8000.htm

Does Benq, (formerly Acer's hardware division?) do any OEM for Apple?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
that thing is ugly, they should pick 1 color and stick to it. still thick too. only good thing about it is the p4 processor, other than thati its trash.

iJon

driedapricot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
Asia
its 33mm thick, whcih makes it about 1 and a half inch think. also from the picture the screen is not as thin as the powerbook. But it does look very powerbook-esq

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
"Say hello to the Joybook"

They just had to rip off Apple even more...

And notice that it is part of their "Digital Hub"...

It also looks (and probably feels) like crap. Give me an Apple any day.:D

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-It is close - at first blush.

But still: Often immitated, never duplicated - except in Gateway ads :D

Took'em 2 years to get even this close?

Aaaaah! Stupid People!!!

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i think its sad how apples good enough to rip off but not good enough to buy. it seems thats how the pc world thinks. oh well

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by beatle888
i think its sad how apples good enough to rip off but not good enough to buy. it seems thats how the pc world thinks. oh well

so true. i can't count how many XP people i know who are running an OS X lookalike theme on their desktops. damn shame.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by tjwett
so true. i can't count how many XP people i know who are running an OS X lookalike theme on their desktops. damn shame.

Bah, they're just wannabes. Lusting after the Mac on my desk (and the one on my lap :)) then blasting it because you can't play CS on it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.