Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2003
Howdy,

I am reading through some Apple archives, and the debated between the new Apple 20" and 23" displays. I have seen some notes that the 23" display isn't a bright as the 20" and does not handle full motion video as well. ANyone have any comments on the new displays? I haven't been able to locate teh brightness adn contrast ratios for the 23" display. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ryan

foiler

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2003
Monterey Bay Area
Display

The brightness on the 23 is 200, 20 is 230, the Formac 20 is 250. I'm trying to make the same decision myself. I'd prefer the 23 for it's size. I'm not sure in practical use how much the differences are. I do know that at the Apple store the 20 is noticeably brighter than the 23.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
I have met a few people that opted for the 20" and the 17" together instead of the 23"

cost is the same. 17" and 20" are faster... less ghosting of fast moving objects. nice for gaming, as well as video editing.

besides, 2 is better than 1, right? ;)

zer0army

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Toronto
I don't remember if it was here but I recall hearing rumours that the LCD panel in the 23' is going to be discontinued but the manufacturer (LG/Philips I think it is) and a new 23' will take its place with a better response time and brightness.

My question is will this be widely know if it happens or just talked about among the rumour sites. Also will this new panel raise the price of the 23' or will it remain the same ?

I hope the 23’ is updated for the next Powermac revision (970 I hope) since that is when I plan to buy a new machine and LCD. I don’t really like using the dual 20’ and 17’ over one 23’ but I prefer the response time and brightness of them.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i have both and i honestly do not notice a huge difference between both of them. the 20 is great for gaming. no ghosting at all. i hooked it up to my pc and played battlefield and it was great. i would agree with the other poster, get a 17 and 20, what a perfect setup. but make sure you add 100 dollars to that because youll have to get the dvi to adc adapter.

iJon

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I had the 22" and sold it on ebay to upgrade. I read the same about the 20 being brighter and a better display. Let me break those down for you.

Of nearly all those who said the 20" was brighter, said they had to turn the brightness down almost half way. So then, I guess it's 'too' bright and the difference doesn't mean anything.

The picture between the 20" and the 23" was barely noticable. So all being said, after lowering the brightness on the 20" to acceptable levels it's as bright as the 23". After calibrating the 23" it's just as hot as the thw 20". The 23" is 3 inchges bigger and rex is a lot higher. The 23" is HDTV. The 23" is a crowd stopper.

So, mm, I'd spend a few hundered more and get the 23", well, I did and I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.