PDA

View Full Version : At-a-glance specs tree for Apple's new Intel-based Mac Pro

MacBytes
Aug 8, 2006, 02:04 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: At-a-glance specs tree for Apple's new Intel-based Mac Pro (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060808150428)
Description:: See it all in one concise list

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mkrishnan
Aug 8, 2006, 02:16 PM
Nice work. :) Wow, I missed that there are 2x dual-link cards now! :eek: SO they can drive two separate 30" displays at full res?

The only thing that gets me about the MP configs is a little surprise that Apple did not just go with built-in AE/BT modules and standardize that, and reduce the configuration complexity....

socamx
Aug 8, 2006, 02:47 PM
Being someone who has tight limits on spendable money, I'd prefer the wireless things kept optional if it shaves $80-100 off the price. I don't need wireless for a desktop machine, as I'm sure many others do. If Apple included them I'd be thinking: "Why can't I take the wireless stuff out to save myself some money?"

Edit: And I know $80 doesn't sound like much when it comes to something this expensive.. but if you're saving money for just one of these and don't have a disposable income.. saving everywhere you can counts...

ChrisBrightwell
Aug 8, 2006, 02:51 PM
The only thing that gets me about the MP configs is a little surprise that Apple did not just go with built-in AE/BT modules and standardize that, and reduce the configuration complexity....Good lord ... How many times does this need to be addressed?!

There are some Mac shops -- esp. in the gov't -- where radio devices are explicitly prohibited, including the AE/BT module. Additionally, most pros I know never use them on their workstation/production machines.

The PowerMac (and now Mac Pro) have always been designed to provide you a "base" machine upon which you build a workstation. If you need AE/BT, add it. If you don't, spend your money on more RAM or a bigger HDD.

mkrishnan
Aug 8, 2006, 02:58 PM
Good lord ... How many times does this need to be addressed?!

Good lord! I'm sorry! :p ;)

But a hard jumper on the motherboard would take care of that. And the cost is minimal. Honestly, it was just an observation. I could care less, since I have zero interest in ever owning one. I'm just surprised that Intel didn't talk them into bundling the hardware on.

P.S. I'll promise to never bring this up again if I never have to read another thread about the need for a revised cube or headless iMac to complete the price range gap between the PM / Mac Pro and the consumer machines.... :eek: ;) :D

nagromme
Aug 8, 2006, 03:07 PM
Sweet! Comic Life! ;) (j/k, it's a cool app, just amusing to see it on a pro workstation. And the specs don't list iLife! Can't forget that.)

P.S. I'll promise to never bring this up again if I never have to read another thread about the need for a revised cube or headless iMac to complete the price range gap between the PM / Mac Pro and the consumer machines.... :eek: ;) :D
That's an interesting subject you raise. I'd be curious what other people think about that. If Apple had a mid-range option with a CHOICE of display and GPU, would it sell well and bring in switchers? Or is this something there's no demand for?

;)

mkrishnan
Aug 8, 2006, 03:10 PM
That's an interesting subject you raise. I'd be curious what other people think about that. If Apple had a mid-range option with a CHOICE of display and GPU, would it sell well and bring in switchers? Or is this something there's no demand for?

*hands nagromme his goat*

It would certainly make me switch...to Vista! :p

aswitcher
Aug 8, 2006, 03:30 PM
I am reallylooking forward to the hands on with these machiones.

After G
Aug 8, 2006, 04:36 PM
P.S. I'll promise to never bring this up again if I never have to read another thread about the need for a revised cube or headless iMac to complete the price range gap between the PM / Mac Pro and the consumer machines.... :eek: ;) :D Thank goodness someone said this. If you can't save/earn/beg for the $400 difference between a high-end iMac and a low-end Mac Pro, you probably shouldn't get a pro machine.

steve_hill4
Aug 8, 2006, 07:23 PM
Thank goodness someone said this. If you can't save/earn/beg for the $400 difference between a high-end iMac and a low-end Mac Pro, you probably shouldn't get a pro machine.
Would that be $400 with or without display? Since the most expensive standard iMac is $1699 and the standard Mac Pro is $2499 without display, that's $800. Using BTO we can get the iMac to cost more than the most basic Mac Pro.

But let's take your $400 anyway and then add another $699 for a 20" ACD. Suddenly the need for a mid range machine becomes more apparent. If I had an old 20" ACD and wanted something with a similar/slightly better spec to the iMac, but more upgradable, what do I choose? I would potentially prefer to pay $1299 for same specs as the 20" iMac and use my old display than $1699 and end up with a fairly redundant display or have to pay $2499 for something I don't need.

Also, don't give me dual display explanations. If someone wanted to pay a bit less for a same spec headless iMac, I say Apple would gain more market in letting them do so, (not me however, next purchase is a 20" iMac, I just believe that if enough are crying out for something, it's wise to at least consider it). :)

Dane D.
Aug 8, 2006, 10:58 PM
Am surprised no one has configured a PC to match it and priced it out. But you can't put a price on the user experience, that intangable between you and the computer. I can see it now, a rip-off of those MC card commercials.
1 Mac Pro $2500
1 30" monitor $1000 (guessing on cost)
1 OS Tiger Priceless

mkrishnan
Aug 9, 2006, 05:47 AM
1 30" monitor $1000 (guessing on cost)

LOL it's a guess, but it's off by a factor of two if you buy Apple. ;)

shamino
Aug 9, 2006, 02:22 PM
Nice work. :) Wow, I missed that there are 2x dual-link cards now! :eek: SO they can drive two separate 30" displays at full res?
This has always been possible.

Back when the 30" display was first introduced, the matching card (GeForce 6800 Ultra) supported two such displays.

Ever since then, there has always been at least one BTO option for this.

It is, of course, rather nice that there are now two options for people who have this requirement, and one of them (the Radeon X1900) isn't prohibitively expensive.

shamino
Aug 9, 2006, 02:27 PM
... And the specs don't list iLife! Can't forget that.)
You must've missed it (http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html). On the top of the rightmost column:
Software

Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger (includes Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, QuickTime, iCal, and other software)
Universal iLife 06 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)
Comic Life
Omni Outliner
Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, iWork 06 (30-day trial), FileMaker Pro 8.5 trial

Unfortunately, it appears that Graphic Converter and Omni Graffle are no longer bundled.

shamino
Aug 9, 2006, 02:41 PM
Would that be $400 with or without display? Since the most expensive standard iMac is $1699 and the standard Mac Pro is $2499 without display, that's $800.
A base-model Mac Pro (2GHz and 160G hard drive) costs $2124. Unlike previous Macs, the standard model is not the least expensive. So the price difference we're looking at is $425, which is pretty close to what After G posted.

And while you can't get a 20" widescreen LCD with 1680x1050 for $425, you can get several (non-Apple) models for $450-500. Some (like the Dell 2007FPW, that currently sells for $459) are just as high quality as Apple's product.