Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
They could just stay with their typical Micro$oft selves and (avoiding innovation, once again) want to buy some company that already has their work done for them, and call it VirtualPC. Not to mention the effect they will have on possibly choosing to not let Apple in on "their" product. It's sickening. :mad:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
finalcoolman said:
I'm willing to bet the farm that it will happen.
If you had a farm, you would lose it. Parallels Workstation would bring nothing to Microsoft. Microsoft's virtualization strategy was much larger than Virtual PC for the Mac. It is now in complete shambles. The death of VPC UB is only the latest example.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
IF Microsoft were to buy anyone in this market, I would guess it would be VMWare, not Parallels. VMWare is the one they tried to undercut by making the Windows versions of Virtual PC 2004 available for free....

Enterprise virtualization is a big deal. MS got in the game with their acquisition of Connectix technologies, but VMWare still rules the roost.

B

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I think there's a very good chance that Microsoft will acquire Parallels, Inc. I even surmised so in a post in another thread. They would (half-heartedly) promise support for years to come and then eventually drop the product. Why does this sound so familiar? Because that's what they did with Connectix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.