PDA

View Full Version : 12" vs 15" PowerBook - FOR EVERYDAY USE?

gotohamish
Mar 16, 2003, 03:59 PM
Hi

I currently have a 15.2" TiBook (500) and still love it. However, I also have a 1.25 Desktop at home, and use the PowerBook in my office job all day. I really want the 12" PowerBook for it's size and built-in DVD/CDRW.

However, as I use my 15.2 spanning with a 15" CRT and it's fine for my Photoshop and Dreamweaver work. Are users of the 12" finding the screen too small for this kind of work?

Hamish

hugemullens
Mar 16, 2003, 04:12 PM
I find my friends ibook's 12 inch screen too small to do any serious Photoshop or Dreamweaver for an extended period. But you can span with the 12 inch powerbook to a vga moniter. So i;d say its worth it, the portability is awesome and you can always hook up an external when your at the desk.

macphoria
Mar 17, 2003, 12:04 AM
12" PowerBook might seem small if you are used to larger working space, bigger than 1024x768 resolution. If you are used to that resolution, it really is not that big of a problem.

But considering you've been using 15" PowerBook and 15" monitor, you might find it a bit claustrophobic.

NavyIntel007
Mar 17, 2003, 05:02 PM
I'm getting a new 15" in June or so (whatever is out at the time). After using the 12" iBook for two years, I've found that sometimes I'm squinting at text on the screen and long for the PC card slot. So that pretty much took me out of the market of buying a 12". If I had a powermac, I'd buy the 12" to compliment it.

KingArthur
Mar 17, 2003, 09:00 PM
(I'm in a rather ticked mood today, so don't take this as an insult)

If people would just go down to an apple store or find someone nearby with a small screen and take a look at it for themselves, we would have a lot fewer people posting these "vs" threads! People can tell you all they want, but ultimately, wouldn't it be better to experiance it for onesself insead of making the decision and then having to complain about it in the years to come. A computer is a major decision, so I personally wouldn't rely on someone else's opinions, especially when it comes down to a decision that could affect your job performance! Most likely, people are either too lazy or they just don't care enough to put the extra effort it takes in which case, they should just get one and live with it.

BubbaTAC
Mar 17, 2003, 09:23 PM
I went from Windows 200o with a 19" professional CRT to a 12" and it is totally fine...I use it exclusively now...I do use command-tab a lot more oftne though :) Try putting the dock on the right or left. You will miss the lenght of documents with it on the bottom, but the way most websites show up and documents appear in office, you have width to burn

HasanDaddy
Mar 17, 2003, 10:02 PM
The 12" screen is pretty small

but I have done a lot of Final Cut Pro work on a 12" and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

If you aren't going to use the 12" primarly as your WORK computer, and just on mobile stuff....then i would recommend it even for PhotoShop, FCP, or DreamWeaver

however, if you plan to do massive amounts of work on this thing (like 2+ hours per day), then I would go with the 15", maybe even then 17"?

but if your use of the powerbook is minimal, then you really can't beat the size of the 12" --- its very tiny and very easy to travel with!

gotohamish
Mar 21, 2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by KingArthur

If people would just go down to an apple store or find someone nearby with a small screen and take a look at it for themselves, we would have a lot fewer people posting these "vs" threads! People can tell you all they want, but ultimately, wouldn't it be better to experiance it for onesself insead of making the decision and then having to complain about it in the years to come. A computer is a major decision, so I personally wouldn't rely on someone else's opinions, especially when it comes down to a decision that could affect your job performance! Most likely, people are either too lazy or they just don't care enough to put the extra effort it takes in which case, they should just get one and live with it.

Well perhaps you should know that we don't have Apple Stores in the UK, and nor do any dealers have a display 12" within 200 miles of me.

That's why I ask the nice people of MacRumors their opinions.

And even if I could go to an Apple Store, it's not the same as REAL WORLD USE which is what I was enquiring about in my original post.

Go flame elsewhere, and let the rest of the nice people get their say.

tduality
Mar 21, 2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by gotohamish
Well perhaps you should know that we don't have Apple Stores in the UK, and nor do any dealers have a display 12" within 200 miles of me.

That's why I ask the nice people of MacRumors their opinions.

And even if I could go to an Apple Store, it's not the same as REAL WORLD USE which is what I was enquiring about in my original post.

Though I've got a two Mac Dealers in walking distance who have the 12'' available to play with, there are no usefull applications available. Can't even browse the web.

I'm considering to get the 12'' for some (leisure) development while on the road. Just don't know whether I can squeze my dev. environment (eclipse) comfortably on this screen. Experiences of others are definitely helpful.

Martin

BigJayhawk
Mar 21, 2003, 06:55 AM
KA -- Get a Life -- "Bad Mood" is no excuse.

One of the best things about these forums (and Apple for that matter) is that we as a cimmunity can share experiences and help each other make the best buying decisions posssible within the best computing platform out there. Do you personally get CHARGED every time someone posts to the forums? I think not.

Just as no-one reads the entire newspaper, you don't have to read any threads you would not like to read. After all, it is CLEARLY MARKED as a 12 vs 15 PB thread.

Your post is rather confusing to me (and I'm sure many others.

Foxer
Mar 21, 2003, 08:45 AM
I just bought the 12 inch. I opted for that model primarily for the size (and lower costs with newer features). Like you, I have a Powermac at home to do the "heavy lifting," and needed the powerbook for work-related travel (of which I do a lot), word-processing, e-mail, watching DVDs on planes and the occasional game. None of these calls out for a "big" screen.

I think it all comes down one of two things. Which do you put a premium on: small size/portability vs. the ability to use apps which benefit from more display area?

gotohamish
Mar 21, 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Foxer
I just bought the 12 inch. I opted for that model primarily for the size (and lower costs with newer features). Like you, I have a Powermac at home to do the "heavy lifting," and needed the powerbook for work-related travel (of which I do a lot), word-processing, e-mail, watching DVDs on planes and the occasional game. None of these calls out for a "big" screen.

I think it all comes down one of two things. Which do you put a premium on: small size/portability vs. the ability to use apps which benefit from more display area?

Thanks, all of your comments have been useful. I think I'll wait til I've finished my current job (this summer) to upgrade my machine, to the Rev2 12", hopefully by then it will have FW800 (I know you're all thinking, what for? but as it has no PC Card slot, it's better to have new technology now for the machines lasting usefullness), plus I've not been too impressed with Apple Rev1's before.

By summer I'll be travelling more so won't need the 15" screen as badly.

Cheers all,
hamish

cubist
Mar 21, 2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by BubbaTAC
I went from Windows 200o with a 19" professional CRT to a 12" and it is totally fine...I use it exclusively now...I do use command-tab a lot more oftne though :) Try putting the dock on the right or left. You will miss the lenght of documents with it on the bottom, but the way most websites show up and documents appear in office, you have width to burn

I second this suggestion. I think I first saw it in Macaddict magazine. Putting the dock on the right frees up vertical space; the widescreens are lovely but most documents are vertical.

When I first saw the 12" powerbook, I was amazed. The 12" aluminum case feels solid and "machined", whereas the titanium 15" feels delicate by comparison. If there's an aluminum 15" book coming, probably that'll be the best of all worlds: only a little bigger than the 12", but with lots more features.

benixau
Mar 21, 2003, 09:23 PM
actually if you ask me the pb12" is ok. BUT - if you need now and you need to do real work on it (developing mainly) get a 17".

I am personally waiting for a 15" AluBook before i do any more spending with apple (ok maybe an ipod, but nothing else ...)

barbaloot
Nov 6, 2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by KingArthur

One of the best things about these forums are the experiences people have. No matter how much you go and look at something in a store. That doesn't always add up to real world experience. Someone may post an idea that I wouldn't have even thought about. Buying a computer is a major decision and I want all the facts. Including people who also own the products and their feeling, their pros and cons list.

Chaszmyr
Nov 6, 2003, 01:56 PM
15'' all the way. the 12'' is a great machine, but its designed for portability, not every day use. I wouldnt use a 12'' at home unless i had an external monitor with it.

MacBoyX
Nov 6, 2003, 02:04 PM
Well I had a 15" TiBook 667 and the only thing i really loved about it was the Screen size, but I bought a 12" iBook and you know..I have NO ISSUES what so ever with it. I mean yes Dreamweaver was kind a pain but seeing as how it deals with each document as a seperate window and not tabbed into an interface like the Windows version I had to get used to it. I love my 12". I am in a similar situation as you and I use my iBook for my portable (in the living room on the deck) and at work when I need my Mac.

Now I just got a G5 with a 20" ACD and I was real worried about the size of the 12" Screen being too small to get used to but...I make the switch flawlessly. If you are already using the 15" TiBook spanned with a 15" CRT I say go for the 12" PowerBook...

You'll love it.

macboyX

johnnyjibbs
Nov 6, 2003, 02:34 PM
I expect that decision was made a long time ago. Look at the date - this thread was started in March.