PDA

View Full Version : Wich is better

rudedogg63
Mar 16, 2003, 05:16 PM
I was just woundering I have a pismo (firewire) G3 400 1G memory.I waas thinking about buying a iBook G3 800 would it be that much better.I basicly surf email word process light photo work and web site design.:confused:

KingArthur
Mar 16, 2003, 06:04 PM
Well, of course I am going to say the iBook is BETTER, but from what you do, it doesn't sound like you are going to gain a great advantage by buying the iBook. I don't know if you are using OS X, b/c if so, then you are going to see moderate improvements over the Pismo, but those improvements are all going to be interface improvements. If you are using OS 9, then there is no real difference in the speed of the OS itself.

Think of it this way: Do you wait long for the computer to do what you want it to do? Would it make a ton of difference to you if your applications booted up twice as fast?

Remember, the Pismo was designed to be the top of the line. Those top of the line computers can last a LONG time before they need to be replaced, and it seems you have offset some of the problems with a ton of RAM. If you are using OS9, then just make sure to keep Virtual Memory off. Lol, I still can use a PowerMac 6500 with OS9.1 fairly well. I just maxed out the RAM and for the most part, it can keep up with anything that doesn't require a G3 processor. We are talking a 250Mhz machine that was the top of the line back in 1997, and it still works for the basic tasks that you are talking about. So personally, I would hold off as long as possible. Plus, the Pismo is more expandable than the iBook (as in you have swappable drives and can have up to two batteries in it at once).

Just my four cents worth:D

scem0
Mar 16, 2003, 06:25 PM
which not wich. I hate when people point out my spelling mistakes,
but I gotta do it. ;)

DakotaGuy
Mar 16, 2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by KingArthur
I don't know if you are using OS X, b/c if so, then you are going to see moderate improvements over the Pismo, but those improvements are all going to be interface improvements.

I would be willing to say with double the Mhz and the 32MB video card which is compatible with Quartz Extreme vs. the 8MB card in the Pismo, you will see significant speed improvements running OSX. I also think you will see much more then just interface speed improvements. Programs like iMovie 3, iTunes, and iPhoto will also run faster and be much more usable. Even though they are both G3's the iBooks G3 is a 750fx which holds several advantages over the old 750 in the Pismo.

Gus
Mar 16, 2003, 06:46 PM
I'm going to chime in here because I made the exact same "upgrade" that you are talking about. While the Pismo was/is a fantastic laptop, the iBook is remarkably faster (I have the new 800 iBook). Personally, I was worried about losing the 1 MB L2 cache that the Pismo has, but I think that the iBook's processor more than makes up for that. It is also a MUCH brighter screen, and my Pismo was nice as it was. About the only thing I miss is the ability to upgrade.

The 32MB Radeon is prety nice to have too!

I would say that for what you are describing doing, look into the 500 Mhz G4 upgrade that's available-it's only $299 compared to a new iBook. The Powerbook holds more RAM too.
Regards,
Gus

MrMacMan
Mar 16, 2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by scem0
which not wich. I hate when people point out my spelling mistakes,
but I gotta do it. ;)

If your gonna flame people, I'll flame you.

Atleast answer the persons questions.

If you have the spare cash get the iBook, it is snappier.

DakotaGuy
Mar 16, 2003, 08:48 PM
Gus,

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the 1MB of L2 cache in the Pismo is actually "backside cache" and runs at 1/2 the processor speed, whereas the new iBook has 512K on board cache running at full processor speed. It would seem to me that the 750fx in the iBook is a much more efficient design IMO.

macphoria
Mar 17, 2003, 12:14 AM
iBook will be much better. But from the sound of your work load, it really makes no sense to spend more money, because your Pismo seems to be holding out just fine.

Unless you are interested in trying out newer softwares designed for recent machines, don't bother. It is better to keep a decent machine with softwares designed for it. You'll save money that way.