PDA

View Full Version : Vista and Leopard race to the line misses the point

MacBytes
Aug 9, 2006, 12:23 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Vista and Leopard race to the line misses the point (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060809012331)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

whooleytoo
Aug 9, 2006, 04:52 AM
:o Is that a professional website? Because I've seen far better written and lucid blogs.

I wish the MacBytes section would quote the site the link is going to, rather than making the reader click the link blindly.

jaxstate
Aug 9, 2006, 05:04 AM
What is it in OSX that he saw that he can claim that OSX is "light years" ahead of Windows?

Passante
Aug 9, 2006, 07:51 AM
What in OS X is light years a head. The keynote address. Which would you rather listen to. Steve Jobs or a sweating and screaming Steve Balmer?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6304687408656696643

bigandy
Aug 9, 2006, 07:58 AM
oh. my. god.

stupid fanboy arguments. To claim that OS-X is superior to XP is to forget all the shortfalls of OS-X
really??! :eek: quick! tell everyone!

and to claim that XP is superior to OS X would be to forget all the shortcomings of XP?

what a stupid argument.

CallmeKenneth
Aug 9, 2006, 07:58 AM
I am sure that Leopard will knock the spots of Vista. I just can't help feeling that Apple is just trying to make Leopard look 'more pretty', adding a whole bunch of crap that we don't really need. I'm probably going to be proved wrong, and discover that my life had a huge void before Time Machine came along, but I'm just thinking - 'do we really really really need this??'.
I know it's not sexy, but surely it's more important to focus on security and stability (which can always be improved upon) rather than eye candy...

sushi
Aug 9, 2006, 08:02 AM
I am sure that Leopard will knock the spots of Vista.
I liked how they showed 10 items, but some are still secret.

Apple must be pretty confident in their secret items and that they will shine well compared to Vista.

Yvan256
Aug 9, 2006, 09:29 AM
I liked how they showed 10 items, but some are still secret.

Apple must be pretty confident in their secret items and that they will shine well compared to Vista.

A few of those ten items really impressed me (the best being Time Machine and Core Animation). If these aren't top secret, I can't wait to see what is! :cool:

jsw
Aug 9, 2006, 09:33 AM
The alternate view is that the "secret" items are in fact not even remotely ready for prime time and that's why they weren't shown, regardless of whether or not they're "Vista killer" type features.

I hope that there's a lot of cool stuff yet to be revealed.

I suspect, however, that we actually saw almost all of the stuff which most users will notice about Leopard, and that remaining items (resolution independence, let's hope, and a better Finder) aren't going to make much of a splash.

Still, I would love to be wrong.

sushi
Aug 9, 2006, 11:44 AM
Still, I would love to be wrong.
I hope so! :D

Unfortunately, your other comments may be closer to the truth. Let's hope that Steve wants to really impress so they are holding back some good ones.

bowens
Aug 9, 2006, 12:36 PM
This is total baloney there is no race
Why don't we try a spellchecker before we post stuff on a website?

jaxstate
Aug 9, 2006, 12:51 PM
Why, it's just a website, it's not like he's writing a essay for a class. I mean really, who cares.
Why don't we try a spellchecker before we post stuff on a website?

Nutter
Aug 10, 2006, 08:28 AM
I suspect, however, that we actually saw almost all of the stuff which most users will notice about Leopard, and that remaining items (resolution independence, let's hope, and a better Finder) aren't going to make much of a splash.

Resolution Independence is a big deal, because it means a big change in how the GUI is generated. Trust me, if it's there, you'll notice it.

mkrishnan
Aug 10, 2006, 08:38 AM
Resolution Independence is a big deal, because it means a big change in how the GUI is generated. Trust me, if it's there, you'll notice it.

Yeah... the long term ramifications of this are huge... over time, when this feature hits operating systems and takes, it will change a *lot*.

Ahem, back to the article... hehehe, keeping the less ready for primetime items secret? Hmmm...what a concept. What if MS had never blabbed about WinFS? :eek: :D

Seriously... I'm not sure how substantial the secret items will be. It could be that rather than core OS features, although they talked about iChat and iCal, if these applications get overhauled with new features, there is much less need to give developers prep time than there is when core services get changed.

Although I guess that raises the stupid question that will probably get answered over time... are these "secret" features on the developer previews yet (shielded by NDA of course)?

whooleytoo
Aug 10, 2006, 09:38 AM

RI is apparently in Tiger already, but turned off by default. It can be turned on but - in Tiger - it's quite glitchy.

whooleytoo
Aug 10, 2006, 09:41 AM
Although I guess that raises the stupid question that will probably get answered over time... are these "secret" features on the developer previews yet (shielded by NDA of course)?

Highly unlikely, I'd imagine.

*If* we believe Jobs' assertion that these are being kept secret to prevent Microsoft from copying them (which I think is highly dubious), they hardly would put these features in the installers which they would ship out to Premier and Select members, of which Microsoft would obviously be one.