PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth becoming a ADC Student member?

gangst
Aug 9, 2006, 06:44 AM
Hi,

I'm new to programming, so new in fact I don't have a clue.
I would like to get into programming for my own uses, and read about an ADC student membership. I know this may be jumping too quick but by becoming a member you are entitled to savings on new Mac products.

What kind of savings are you entitled to, as I am considering a MacBook Pro, and if there is a big saving this may sway me. So for a 50 membership I could save several hundred pounds.

Also I'm in senior school, so I guess I'm entitled to a studewnt membership, seeing in the past I have always purchased from the Student Store.

Thanks

NATO
Aug 9, 2006, 08:10 AM
Apart from the obvious access to developer materials via the ADC website, it offers you a once-in-a-lifetime (literally!) discount on computer hardware (seems to be around 20%) which could help buy a MBP or Mac Pro cheaply. Also, although it doesn't seem to be official, student ADC members tend to get a free copy of an OS X release should one occur during your membership.

I'm going to wait until I'm ready to buy a Mac Pro AND OS X 10.5 (or 10.6!) is due for release that year to make the most of it.

It's certainly good, but be sure to check the ADC Price against the Higher Education price of products as there might not be that much difference, especially with the lower end products

Edit - Don't forget that the UK Higher Education store offers a free 3 year warranty vs standard 1 year warranty with an ADC purchase.

Palad1
Aug 9, 2006, 08:19 AM
You forgot the best part.

A free Apple T-shirt ;)

Mac Rules
Aug 9, 2006, 08:22 AM
I'm so tempted to join, it would mean I could actually get a MBP foraround75% of the RRP, but I think I'll wait until next spring, hopefully by then MBP will have a new form, Santa-Rose implimentation and a better graphics card + increased HD size and speed!

Oh, and of course Leopard!

Cheers

peter32892
Aug 9, 2006, 08:31 AM
say you sign up do you have to have to actualy have to program on it? Because people could just buy it because they want it cheaper?:confused:

kainjow
Aug 9, 2006, 09:25 AM
Isn't the edu discount roughly the same as the ADC discount?

jsw
Aug 9, 2006, 09:28 AM
Isn't the edu discount roughly the same as the ADC discount?
At lower levels, yes, but as you ascend into the pro lineup, the ADC discount is much better.

almightyshoe
Aug 9, 2006, 09:44 AM
Don't forget it's once in a lifetime, and it costs 100 bucks. So save up and make the most of it. no point discounting 150 bucks; you only save 50 dollars. (I feel the need to iterate this because my lab partner made this mistake, thinking he got the discount whenever he wanted).

macdaddy121
Aug 9, 2006, 10:07 AM
say you sign up do you have to have to actualy have to program on it though because people could just buy it because they want it cheaper?:confused:

This is easily the most confusing sentence I have ever read.

However, yes, you are supposed to use it for developmental reasons.

nater.
Aug 9, 2006, 05:33 PM
I am also thinking of joining ADC, but I am an art student. Does that matter? It's kind of a hobby to explore programming and stuff. Would they reject me if I applied?

Probably should mention I've been learning a lot about web developing. Would that qualify me for ADC?

Catfish_Man
Aug 9, 2006, 06:48 PM
I am also thinking of joining ADC, but I am an art student. Does that matter? It's kind of a hobby to explore programming and stuff. Would they reject me if I applied?

Probably should mention I've been learning a lot about web developing. Would that qualify me for ADC?

They really don't care afaik. As long as you're a student, it should be fine.

I got a student dev account for one reason and one reason only: to apply for the wwdc student scholarship.

simon-says
Aug 9, 2006, 07:02 PM
Where do you sign up for the student membership? I've got the free student account. I'm interested in paying for student ADC membership. What all am I able to access that I can't with the free account? Am I able to get things like Leopard Preview?

Catfish_Man
Aug 9, 2006, 07:11 PM
Where do you sign up for the student membership? I've got the free student account. I'm interested in paying for student ADC membership. What all am I able to access that I can't with the free account? Am I able to get things like Leopard Preview?

It's basically worthless unless you use the discount and/or scholarship. Or if you have dialup and don't want to download Xcode updates.

nater.
Aug 10, 2006, 09:41 AM
Is it possible to use the ADC discount at an Apple store?

br-
Aug 10, 2006, 02:20 PM
Is it possible to use the ADC discount at an Apple store?
Nope. ADC discounts are only valid at the ADC Online Store.

gman71882
Aug 10, 2006, 03:18 PM
I found out about this a few years ago, which happened to be a few months after getting my computer at time. :mad: :mad:
I have since had 4 friends(students) sign up for the Apple developer group. I really feel its worth it to do it if your in school still!!! its only $99 USD here to join. how much is it in UK?

Edot
Aug 10, 2006, 03:29 PM

No. You won't get any pre-releases or software. You will get a CD monthly with sample code. You will get several copies throughout the year of whatever the current OS is and a T-Shirt. Like someone said earlier the purchase discount is only available ONCE per person FOREVER. Only valid on one single order. So use it wisely. You have to prove that you are a student as well.

gangst
Aug 10, 2006, 03:45 PM
how much is it in UK?

same as it is in the US,$99

Graeme
Aug 10, 2006, 09:00 PM
I found it very useful. I signed up for the student developer membership and bought my MacBook Pro soon after for about $400 cheaper than it would have been with the normal student discount.

I don't have any plans of programming either (mainly because I don't know how and have no interest in it, but it was a way of getting my computer cheaper) and it was in my last semester of school that I did this so I still have the developer membership until next year without being enrolled in school now.