Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taztaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Hello all,

I was trying to install Windows Xp using Parallels on my MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz, 2G Ram. Could someone tell me if I should partition my Harddrive during install or should I NOT partition?

Thank You for your help.

Taz

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Parallels does NOT require you to partition your drive. However, Boot Camp does. Parallels uses its own file where it stores all your Windows XP files/system. During setup, it will create this for you automatically.

taztaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Thank you for your help.. I will try that out soon and again thank you.

TAZ

taztaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Sorry, but I have another question.

When Parallels partitions the harddrive, it promts for me to select between NTFS / NTFS quick or FAT quick / FAT, So which one should i choose ?

Or whatever is being highlighted should be the one being used ?

Thanks
Taz

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
taztaz said:
Sorry, but I have another question.

When Parallels partitions the harddrive, it promts for me to select between NTFS / NTFS quick or FAT quick / FAT, So which one should i choose ?

Or whatever is being highlighted should be the one being used ?

Thanks
Taz

Are you at the screen where it looks something like this? If so, thats Windows XP Setup. It really doesn't matter which Filesystem you use, since the .hdd files Parallels chooses can't be explored within Mac OS X.

Personally, I'd just go with FAT quick format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.