View Full Version : Help! 867 Quicksilver overheating
Mar 17, 2003, 02:02 AM
My 867 Quicksilver is having overheating problem. It has happened 3 times in past week.
First, it happend while I was watching DVD, it just shut down on its own and would not reboot until it cooled down for a while. Then next two instances, it would just shut down on its own while I was simply web browsing and listening to a CD.
This is quite a suprise for me because this sort of thing never happened in previous Macs I've used, Quadra, PowerPC 8100, G3 300, G4 DP 500, etc.
Quicksilver is in well ventilated place and considering it is Winter time, I really doubt environment temperature is a big issue.
I'm already thinking of placing an order for PCI slot fan from 3D Cool. Do any of you have a recommendation for any other means of cooling my Mac? Any CPU fans I can use? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Mar 17, 2003, 02:11 AM
Never heard of a QS overheating without being overclocked or anything...
What do you have in there? 3 15K RPM SCSI Drives and a space heater? Just kidding.
I have a slot fan in my PC and it works pretty well. Although if your machine is still under warranty you might want to contact Apple. Something could be seriously wrong with it if it's overheating doing light tasks like playing a CD.
Mar 17, 2003, 11:54 AM
No overclocking, no modifications, just original equipment and parts. It is no longer under warranty, so I'm on my own.
Mar 17, 2003, 12:57 PM
You should be checking the fans to make certain that both are working rather than buying another fan.
You should be able to tell a difference in the sound levels coming from the machine. If feasible, open the access door and you'll be able to see the fans working, or not.
You might want to use the diagnostic CD-ROM which came with your system.
Dont Hurt Me
Mar 17, 2003, 01:27 PM
bousozoko is right make sure all fans are running and all dust is cleared out. Dont know for sure but also maybe a dead battery on your board? And if you ever played with your heatsink like taking it off you should allways make sure to use heatsink compound when replacing. just some ideas.
Mar 17, 2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
...dust is cleared out...
Damn good point. If you haven't air-can-blasted your intakes, fans, and MoBo in the last 6 months, do it! Computers are incredible dust collectors with all the EM fields and all.
Also, be sure your intake is gulping no-warmer than room-temp air, and not anywhere near a possible column of hot air from a heater, radiator or forced-air vent.
Mar 17, 2003, 02:00 PM
There's no way to be sure the problem is overheating. Shutting off spontaneously and refusing to turn on again until x minutes have passed doesn't necessarily mean overheating. Other possibilities would be defective motherboard or power supply...
Mar 17, 2003, 02:46 PM
try running it with the side opened, with a small desk fan blowing directly on the CPU area of the motherboard.
does it beep when it shuts down?
does it only happen what you are using a optical drive (DVD movie and/or playing a CD)? is it the same optical drive?
is the power supply fan running well? are all of the fans clean of debris?
no cables in the way?
Mar 17, 2003, 03:02 PM
Check and make sure both fans are working or if you have it backed up against a wall or something there is no where the air can go... :rolleyes:
Check that and open the case during/after running check if the fans are working before wanting to buy another.