Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Most avatars can be adblocked simply but I have encountered one that regerates new code like some of the adverts on ebay, although not as quickly. The ebay ones can be blocked with a general purpose * but that won't work in the macrumors case as it would block all tars.

How is this possible?

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
I think you're confused: define an avatar. Are you thinking those little icons underneath everybody's name or are you thinking of those advertisements at the top and bottom of the forum?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Avatars have addresses like https://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=12345&dateline=12345 but the dateline part can be omitted, i.e., https://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=12345.

Is either of these the form of the URL you are blocking? Is it the dateline part that changes?

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
edit, here's a picture of my avatar address with the bit that keeps changing on the particular av in question, marked in red.

Attachments

• av.jpg
    av.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 156

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Hang on I think I've got it, it's the 5 digit number right before '&dateline' that identifies the tar, and the bits before and after don't matter.

OK I think I've got it now the block code should be like this with the 5 x's replaced with the 5 digit av number.

Attachments

• av2.jpg
    av2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 85

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The "u" value matters; that's the user number. The "s" value and the "dateline" value do not matter.

Example: This works fine:
https://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=12149&s=hello&dateline=goodbye​

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
wrc fan said:
Now I'm wondering, which avatars are you blocking? I can't recall seeing any that I wanted to block. And if there were bad ones couldn't you just send a PM to a mod and ask them to remove it?

I know ever since seeing this thread I've been searching the forums for a bad avatar :eek:

So far I've gone through every page, on all the threads from the front page. I WILL find this.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
killuminati said:
I know ever since seeing this thread I've been searching the forums for a bad avatar :eek:

So far I've gone through every page, on all the threads from the front page. I WILL find this.

I could probably come up with a few, but the one that pops into my head first is the spinning beachball of DOOM.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
baby duck monge said:
I could probably come up with a few, but the one that pops into my head first is the spinning beachball of DOOM.

Oh yea compusers, forgot about that.

The only one I could come up with is that damn orange duck with the horns. Oh well, I have all avatars disabled right now so it's all good.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Personally I'll block any avatar that has excessive animation. Some are blocked because of an association with the owner, sort of an 'ego death' if you will.

But then there are some that get saved to disk, freeny's old one comes to mind. ;)

edit: Hey Dr, I just noticed your new tar, Qt idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.