PDA

View Full Version : STOLEN! MBP What can i DO!

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 08:38 AM
So last night, I go to sleep at my friends house. After i went to bed, his older sister had some friends over and when I wake up, my brand new MBP is GONE. They know who took it, and they went to his hosue when I was still sleeping. 4:30 in the morning he just denied and denied, and talked them in b/s lies and circles. I dont think im getting this back. Is my computer just..GOne? It has to be under some insurance ?? Something. My friends parents are willing to press charges, or do whatever to help me out, they cant believe a kid was sneaking around there house, while they were sleeping on the 2nd floor.

Help ...please

Sun Baked
Aug 10, 2006, 08:41 AM
Beat the crap out of him, then escalate to broken bones.

Sorry to say this, if the dude is a liar -- he won't confess until the blood start flowing.

---

If you can get him when he actually is holding the machine, you can claim you beat the crap out of a mugger. At that point, don't stop until he stops moving.

macenforcer
Aug 10, 2006, 08:42 AM

Sorry to say this, if the dude is a liar -- he won't confess until the blood start flowing.

---

If you can get him when he actually is holding the machine, you can claim you beat the crap out of a mugger. At that point, don't stop until he stops moving.

I second this approach. Cops will do nothing.

thestaton
Aug 10, 2006, 08:42 AM
just call the police and tell them. if your friends know he did it and they are willing to press charges its game over. if he happens to break it then your parents renters / home owners insurance will cover it.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 08:45 AM
So If i can get his friends to say he took it, you can press charges and insurance will cover it?

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 08:53 AM
His dad and them, searched his car, and his dad searched his room last night, although that means nothing.

If you can find it, might it as well be busted.???? If i threw it out the window at least I could have had the video

brikeh
Aug 10, 2006, 08:56 AM
Im with Sun Baked....beat the **** out of the guy.

Caitlyn
Aug 10, 2006, 08:58 AM
For some reason, I think that you can call Apple and give them your serial number and then if this guy tries to register it under his name, Apple can call you. Can someone confirm this?

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 08:59 AM
The kids apparently went over there with wood to throw through his windows. and ended up, just yelling for 2 hours. Its much harder to jump at someones throat w/ its 1)not there comp and 2) hes sitting denying the entire thing.

He was caught in the act tho.

What about a lie detector.

runplaysleeprun
Aug 10, 2006, 09:03 AM
The kids apparently went over there with wood to throw through his windows. and ended up, just yelling for 2 hours. Its much harder to jump at someones throat w/ its 1)not there comp and 2) hes sitting denying the entire thing.

He was caught in the act tho.

What about a lie detector.

If he was caught in the act, how does he deny it? He has no leg to stand on. Call the cops. no question.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 09:06 AM
Well, he was caught w/ an unplugged web cam and was packing it up, while looking around. My friends boyfriend saw him, and when inside to tell him to leave. My friend came in a short while later to see the computer missing.

Josias
Aug 10, 2006, 09:11 AM
Look at the MBP box for the serial number. Find the MBP (by beating the crap outta him:D ), and check the number. Then you can prove it's yours, and throw that punk kids stealin' butt in jail!:D :D muahaha!

PatrickF
Aug 10, 2006, 09:11 AM
Over here in the UK you'd have to report the theft to the police anyway in order to get a case number. You would then need to pass this on to any insurance company that you wish to claim from.

So either way you'll need to report it to the police. They most probably won't do anything other than record the fact that you've reported it stolen but that's what insurance companies here require you to do.

That is some bad luck though! I hope you get your notebook back in one piece! To think that this can happen at a friend's house!

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 09:20 AM
Can someone please tell me more about insurance.

Its not like he was breaking and entering, although nobody was allowed in the house. How does home insurance cover things like this. Im hesitant about going right to the police, because the story i pitch to them, may affect me seeing anything for my computer.

Data loss is already horrendous, being that I formatted my external backup drive for a film project, (also lost).

smitty330
Aug 10, 2006, 09:22 AM
First of all I have to say I am sorry for your lose, but you will probably get it back. I would be so freakin mad if this happened to me. And what a tool, I hope that that dude is not your friends sisters friend anymore. Seriously, call the cops and if they do nothing I would like throw a brick through his window or cause as much damage equal to what you paid for your MBP if not more. Again I am deeply sorry to hear this, good luck and kick some ass.

-Matthew

brepublican
Aug 10, 2006, 09:24 AM
Well, he was caught w/ an unplugged web cam and was packing it up, while looking around. My friends boyfriend saw him, and when inside to tell him to leave. My friend came in a short while later to see the computer missing.
This guy is going straight to hell. No questions asked.

alFR
Aug 10, 2006, 09:30 AM
Nasty tale if true, but some stuff doesn't add up here:

1. The guy wasn't supposed to be in the house, but got in anyway without breaking and entering. No locks on the doors?
2. He was caught in the act but they apparently just let him walk out with the webcam and computer.
3. They yelled outside the guy's house for 2hrs at 4.30AM but his parents didn't wake up or do anything.
4. A $2000+ theft and no-one's calling the cops.
4. The OP has no MBP in his sig.

Strange.

JBot
Aug 10, 2006, 09:36 AM
Seriously, call the cops and if they do nothing I would like throw a brick through his window or cause as much damage equal to what you paid for your MBP if not more.
Because that will get his computer back?
Seriously, i would let the parents press charges, as its considered theft from there house. Threaten him alot, thats key, hopeing he just gives up after enough harrassment.
Dont break his window, try to hurt him, or anything, because first of all you wont have much of a case against him, and second, you arent 100% positive it was him, than you would have 2 dfferent cases to deal with.

That or learn to sleep with your computer. It keeps me warm in the long winter nights.

edit*
1. The guy wasn't supposed to be in the house, but got in anyway without breaking and entering. No locks on the doors?
It was a party, easy to get in.
2. He was caught in the act but they apparently just let him walk out with the webcam and computer.
Just caught with the webcam unplugged if i understand correctly.
3. They yelled outside the guy's house for 2hrs at 4.30AM but his parents didn't wake up or do anything.
Parents dont sound that involved with the kid if he can successfully steal a laptop and hide it from them.
Not everyone puts there computers in their sig? I have 4 comps (1 mac) and i dont flaunt them.

skipsandwichdx
So you had a webcam for your MBP? :confused:

Keebler
i sure hope you've called the police by now. if he was seen taking the webcam that leads to at least proof that he was stealing something.

i wouldn't even think about insurance right now. call the police. and, call the guys parents too, right after you get off the phone with the police. they will undoubtedly freak on the kid who may fess up then too. explain to the parents that he was caught trying to take a webcam...

good luck.

beating the crap out of him may feel good, but won't get you anywhere in the long run. i know that sounds so old school, but it's true.

focus on getting it back.

keep us posted.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 09:44 AM
Nasty tale if true, but some stuff doesn't add up here:

4. A $2000+ theft and no-one's calling the cops.

Strange.

Alright, i just woke up to this, so im stil trying to pull it together.

1) There was a bunch of people yet nobody when i fell asleep around 10:30. Sometime after that, people showed up to the back yard. and my friends sister Trisha set up beer pong. The house was off limits because Trishas rents were sleeping, so the only reason to go inside was to use the bathroom. A friend of Trisha, who was sleeping over, was the only one inside and he was watch a baseball game i believe. He left, and a lil while later, Trishas boyfriend sees this kid, wrapping up a web cam, which he said he picked up off the floor. It was plugged into the back of the tower earlier this day.

2) The kid parked outside the house, moving his car from a far parking lot, he then put the computer in his car and bounced, but everyone was in the back, he used the front door. After putting the computer in, he came back inside, banign out the front door, because it automatically locks. Trisha let him in and told him to go around the back. (its a friend of trishas friend. not someone she knows at all)

3) Yes, i have a 2000+$ theft but I just found out about it an hour ago, no one heres even up yet although I keep trying because i got to get to a station.

*once i get to the station what do i tell them. If i tell them there was people drinking outside, does that make my claim invalid. I mean i wasnt drinking, just sleeping and playing video games. Ill tell them he snuck in the house where he wasnt suppose to be and stole my computer.?? Does insurance cover that ****

4) The MBP is not in my sig because, I havent been on macrumors since i got it. A few times. Like the other day, i put a shout out for MBP ram.

jackc
Aug 10, 2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah, for something that expensive, even though there might not be much they can do, the cops might at least talk to the kid and scare him. Plus you might as well get it on record.

Then I would spend the rest of my life getting revenge on the bastard.

skipsandwichdx
Aug 10, 2006, 09:56 AM
The police probably won't do anything about the beer if they found out, but is there any reason to be that specific? Just say they were hanging out outside, or wherever the beer pong was.

Sun Baked
Keep stealing the air in his tires ...

Keebler
Alright, i just woke up to this, so im stil trying to pull it together.

1) There was a bunch of people yet nobody when i fell asleep around 10:30. Sometime after that, people showed up to the back yard. and my friends sister Trisha set up beer pong. The house was off limits because Trishas rents were sleeping, so the only reason to go inside was to use the bathroom. A friend of Trisha, who was sleeping over, was the only one inside and he was watch a baseball game i believe. He left, and a lil while later, Trishas boyfriend sees this kid, wrapping up a web cam, which he said he picked up off the floor. It was plugged into the back of the tower earlier this day.

2) The kid parked outside the house, moving his car from a far parking lot, he then put the computer in his car and bounced, but everyone was in the back, he used the front door. After putting the computer in, he came back inside, banign out the front door, because it automatically locks. Trisha let him in and told him to go around the back. (its a friend of trishas friend. not someone she knows at all)

3) Yes, i have a 2000+$ theft but I just found out about it an hour ago, no one heres even up yet although I keep trying because i got to get to a station.

*once i get to the station what do i tell them. If i tell them there was people drinking outside, does that make my claim invalid. I mean i wasnt drinking, just sleeping and playing video games. Ill tell them he snuck in the house where he wasnt suppose to be and stole my computer.?? Does insurance cover that ****

4) The MBP is not in my sig because, I havent been on macrumors since i got it. A few times. Like the other day, i put a shout out for MBP ram.

i wouldn't worry too much about the party and ppl drinking. just tell the cops you have people hanging out..that's all. you don't have to tell them what you were doing.

i would call that kids parents right now..who cares if you wake them...the more time he has, means the more time he sells/hides it or gives it away.

get on the horse now bud. good luck. in fact, i'd be at their door right now.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 10:03 AM
Dudes, i dont think insurance will do jack squat, because its my computer taken from someone elses house. They dont own the computer. I do, why would that be covered under there insurance?

SteveRichardson
Aug 10, 2006, 10:03 AM
break into his house and steal it back.

and take some food from the pantry.

PatrickF
Aug 10, 2006, 10:05 AM
Dudes, i dont think insurance will do jack squat, because its my computer taken from someone elses house. They dont own the computer. I do, why would that be covered under there insurance?
It all depends on the insurance company really. Obviously your home insurance wouldn't cover it, however, your friend's parent's insurance may since the item was stolen from their house.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 10:09 AM
Ohh they raised hell at his house at 4-5 in the morning. They went there, knocked on the door, the dad woke up. The dad went in and searched, and the kid came out. He talked and talked, getting himself caught up in lies and talking about technicalities. His dad took our number, and we have his. He was very cool with his hot headed son. But still, I dont think hell do ****. He was just talking names and giving numbers to appease them

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 10:13 AM
Hmm.. My own insurance might cover it. It covers a laptop or possesions temporarily taken from the home. and I am just taking a trip here for a day, being that i live an hour away. I was visiting old friends

ga1lyons
Aug 10, 2006, 10:28 AM
The home owner's insurance of the person whose house you were in should cover it.

This is grand theft, a felony, it exceeds the minimum 3-4 times over. THe police dont care because it is work, and cops are lazy. Add to this the fact that laptops are viewed almost like toys.

Personally, i'd get in the person who has it's face, and explain to him, "if you dont have it (you know he does but...) you better have it within the hour." If you know, KNOW he has it then do what you feel is required to get it back.

Am I encouraging physical violience, oh heavens no that would be wrong, but accidents happen.

jackc
Aug 10, 2006, 10:30 AM
Am I encouraging physical violience, oh heavens no that would be wrong, but accidents happen.

Quite true, I would tell him to return it, no questions asked, you just want the computer back. You won't take any legal actions. Once you have it, it's ass-whooping time.

FF_productions
Aug 10, 2006, 10:32 AM
KICK this guy's ass.

And that's the bottom line, CUZ Stone Cold Said SO!

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 10:37 AM
Is there a large possibility, Im out 2000$ because of this. Is that possible. Forget the contents, just the hardware is all i care about, even if its not my own, then a new one i dont care. Will i get at least some money for a new one or something. We reamed on this kid all night, got in his face, also spoke calmly. He has a record for this ****. But hes not stupid to keep it in his trunk or some ****. I wouldnt doubt, and i choke as i type this. that ill never see that mbp again. But am i Finished for good. 2000 in the hole???

JAT
Aug 10, 2006, 10:42 AM
You may want to keep in mind that most people have a $1000 deductible on home insurance, so it would cost that much to replace it. Finding it is the best solution. Hope it works out.

Timepass
Aug 10, 2006, 10:45 AM
hate to tell you this but chance are good you are out 2 grand. if he was smart he would of pond it off pretty quickly and made maybe a few 100 bucks. Also it is your word agaist his and you have no proof that he did it. So he inoncent until proven guilty.

The cops will tell you the same thing that they really cannt do much because it is your word agaist his and there hands are tied because there no proof that he did it. Doesnt matter what his record is. He may be look at more closely but it still boils down to your word vs his and when that happens he is free. You cannt prove it and with out proof yeah.

Also home owners insurance is not going to be much help because chance are the deticible is a lot higher than the value of the laptop (chance are it is around 5k). Sucks big time and there just not much you can do about it.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 10:56 AM
My friend (school pychologist) left his laptop in a hospital parking lot at 10:30 at night. He put it down got in his car and drove away. Leaving his ti book in its case in the parking lot. He realized it when he got home and drove an hour back. Didn't see it. He told his insurance it was stolen from his car, (something i wouldnt do, but i dont have to lie) The insurance was giving him the full price on the laptop and he was going to by a alu. pbook because they just came out. The claim went through and he got a call from a guy who picked up his computer. And the found his name in the comp and found his number and wants to return the comp. So he drove to queens and this guy returned it, and he cancelled the claim.

RBMaraman
Aug 10, 2006, 11:00 AM
Is there a large possibility, Im out 2000$ because of this. Is that possible. Forget the contents, just the hardware is all i care about, even if its not my own, then a new one i dont care. Will i get at least some money for a new one or something. We reamed on this kid all night, got in his face, also spoke calmly. He has a record for this ****. But hes not stupid to keep it in his trunk or some ****. I wouldnt doubt, and i choke as i type this. that ill never see that mbp again. But am i Finished for good. 2000 in the hole???

No, most likely you are not out $2000.

BUT, you probably won't have a leg to stand on with ANY insurance company unless a police report is filed. Do you think that an insurance company is just going to take your word, without any report/complaint filed with the police, and simply hand you $2000? Heck no! I could easily call up my insurance company and say someone stole my car, but they aren't going to give me a dime unless the police are involved and can back up my story.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Gather together all the witnesses, parents, friends, etc. and call the police.
2. Have each person tell what they saw, overheard, did, etc. to the police.
3. Have the receipt for the MBP to prove you actually bought it, and furnish a copy of it and the serial number to the police.
4. Call YOUR and YOUR FRIEND'S home owners insurance companies to report the theft. They can work out who will be paying (if the MBP is not recovered).
5. CALM DOWN! Take a few deep breaths, take a run, do anything to blow off your stress. It WILL BE o.k.

Just CALL THE COPS!

skipsandwichdx
Aug 10, 2006, 11:03 AM
My brother had a powerbook stolen from his apartment about a year ago. He reported it, an investigator came in and powdered his ipod cable (which was apparently unplugged by the thief) for fingerprints, etc.

In the end they never caught the guy, but the insurance company bought him a new computer.

bdugan
Aug 10, 2006, 12:08 PM
Someone stole my toshiba about 8 months ago from my frathouse. I called the cops and they couldnt find anything. Luckily, we called our homeowners insurance, and they said they would reiumburse me for the cost of the computer (provided I show receipts) as long as I pay for the $500 deductable. My computer cost 1799, so I got a new macbookpro when they came out in february, only down 500 bucks. So try to get ahold of your insurance company and see what they can do.

So last night, I go to sleep at my friends house. After i went to bed, his older sister had some friends over and when I wake up, my brand new MBP is GONE. They know who took it, and they went to his hosue when I was still sleeping. 4:30 in the morning he just denied and denied, and talked them in b/s lies and circles. I dont think im getting this back. Is my computer just..GOne? It has to be under some insurance ?? Something. My friends parents are willing to press charges, or do whatever to help me out, they cant believe a kid was sneaking around there house, while they were sleeping on the 2nd floor.

Help ...please

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 12:16 PM
Do i tell them the entire truth, or do i just tell them some. Is insurance different if it gets stolen from a car. Is that fraud. I got the number for the 4th in my phone. Are the cops gonna come to the house, and take me less serious when they see the keg? AHHHHhh

I still havent told my ****in mom

extraextra
Aug 10, 2006, 12:23 PM
Do i tell them the entire truth, or do i just tell them some.

Tell them whatever is relevant.

Makosuke
Aug 10, 2006, 12:27 PM
Do i tell them the entire truth, or do i just tell them some. Is insurance different if it gets stolen from a car. Is that fraud. I got the number for the 4th in my phone. Are the cops gonna come to the house, and take me less serious when they see the keg?Man, that's a mess of a story. Just one tip: DO NOT LIE TO THE COPS. If you really want you can omit information that you don't think is relevant, but lying to the cops is a bad idea in so many ways, and basically defeats the purpose of calling them in the first place (and I don't know why you wouldn't--somebody stole my jacket and checkbook out of my car once, and I certainly reported that, even if it didn't amount to anything).

As for the keg... yeah, they'll probably take you a lot less seriously. Still worth reporting a $2000 theft, and still a bad idea to lie about anything.

mark!
Aug 10, 2006, 12:28 PM
Do i tell them the entire truth, or do i just tell them some. Is insurance different if it gets stolen from a car. Is that fraud. I got the number for the 4th in my phone. Are the cops gonna come to the house, and take me less serious when they see the keg? AHHHHhh

I still havent told my ****in mom

Why are you sitting here freaking out if you aren't even trying what everyone else has suggested?

Call the cops, tell them you were at a party & the kid stole it. They won't be like...WAS THERE DRINKING RAWR1!!!!!11 Just hide the keg somewhere, take it to someone elses house, and just call the cops. Call them, be calm, and see what they say.

Why are you so worried about telling people? Somethings smelling fishy.

gnasher729
Aug 10, 2006, 12:28 PM

BUT, you probably won't have a leg to stand on with ANY insurance company unless a police report is filed. Do you think that an insurance company is just going to take your word, without any report/complaint filed with the police, and simply hand you $2000? Heck no! I could easily call up my insurance company and say someone stole my car, but they aren't going to give me a dime unless the police are involved and can back up my story.

1. Gather together all the witnesses, parents, friends, etc. and call the police.
3. Have the receipt for the MBP to prove you actually bought it, and furnish a copy of it and the serial number to the police.
4. Call YOUR and YOUR FRIEND'S home owners insurance companies to report the theft. They can work out who will be paying (if the MBP is not recovered).
5. CALM DOWN! Take a few deep breaths, take a run, do anything to blow off your stress. It WILL BE o.k.

Just CALL THE COPS!

Just wondering: In the UK, I would just call the insurance, and obviously they wouldn't just pay out, but they would tell me exactly what steps I have to take to get my money. Is that any different in the USA?

LeeTom
Aug 10, 2006, 12:35 PM
All I can say is quit trippin out worrying yourself to death, and call 911 and report a theft. An officer will come out to your house and take a statement.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 12:37 PM
Why are you sitting here freaking out if you aren't even trying what everyone else has suggested?

Call the cops, tell them you were at a party & the kid stole it. They won't be like...WAS THERE DRINKING RAWR1!!!!!11 Just hide the keg somewhere, take it to someone elses house, and just call the cops. Call them, be calm, and see what they say.

Why are you so worried about telling people? Somethings smelling fishy.

Dude, im crapping my pants. My mom thought I was staying with someone else, and then major **** went down. Im just looking for the best chances to get this thing back, or a new one. Im just gonna call and tell the whole truth

macdaddy121
Aug 10, 2006, 12:38 PM
I had my powerbook stolen out of my house about 2 years ago. I called the cops and nothing happened. They filed a report and I never heard back about anything. It was stolen out of my house. My home insurance covered it but I had a 1000 dollar deductable. After everything was all said and done I received a check for 2500 bucks (after deductable). I think I know who stole mine too. I questioned and questioned and he denied it. I could have beaten his ass into the concrete but I stayed calm and just accepted the fact that one of my brother's friends was a thief (odd since my brother is such a good guy). No one in my family has ever seen him again. My brother is his son's godfather and after this he has never tried to get in touch with my brother again.

The police will do nothing. I was content with insurance and being upset that someone stole my computer. To hurt someone just to get a computer back could have had me thrown in jail. It's up to you. To this day I still get upset thinking about someone taking my computer. If I had it to do over again, I would have seriously hurt him. He is a theif and a coward. And people like that should not be treated kindly.

LimeiBook86
Aug 10, 2006, 01:00 PM
Dude, im crapping my pants. My mom thought I was staying with someone else, and then major **** went down. Im just looking for the best chances to get this thing back, or a new one. Im just gonna call and tell the whole truth

It's ok I think your mom will be more upset with the stolen laptop than you and your few friends hanging out. Just gather your witnesses, maybe even the kid's father (the kid who stole it) go to the Police station and tell them that it was stolen. You don't have to tell them what exactly you did at the party, you can hide any thigns you don't want the police to find but, you have to do this quick before the guy sells the laptop or gets rid of it. So don't sit there and pout, you have to act before your laptop is gone forever. Once the police get involved and threaten the kid with jail time or whatnot he'll be scared and will give up the laptop easily.

If you don't you'll regret it.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 10, 2006, 01:15 PM
I told the cop the mini story on the phone, and hes comming over here now. Ill keep you guys posted

fatties
Aug 10, 2006, 01:16 PM
not to put my foot in it, but why did you have a brand new mbp with you at a house frigging party (and out of your sight?) last week i went to a gig and i 'couldn't' go out afters because it is irresponsible to leave my mb in cloak and i would kill myself if it got nicked.

but it's happened now, so i am am really sorry dude as i would be heart broken too.

just call the police. tell them everything (minus any illegal drinking +others they don't need to know that) but do get your friends and others to back up your story. may be getting that dude's dad involved is a good idea to impress the seriousness of the situation to their family (only if you are 200% sure it is that dude that nicked it)

insurance- if it is not already registered on the house, it might not be insured because its a biggie, but depends on your company, hopefully you got a 'nice one'

if all else fails, hire a hitman, i hear they go for cheap nowadays and 2000 bucks can probably get you pretty far with maiming etc.

blueflame
Aug 10, 2006, 01:19 PM
For some reason, I think that you can call Apple and give them your serial number and then if this guy tries to register it under his name, Apple can call you. Can someone confirm this?
you can do this, but apple will only tell you if you file a police report, so contact the police immediatly.
andreas

been there, done that.

BrianKonarsMac
Aug 10, 2006, 01:29 PM
instead of letting your friends try to fix your problem, you should fix it.

letting your friends try to talk him into giving it back solves nothing, get his address, buy a metal bat and break his knees!

jrk07
Aug 10, 2006, 01:34 PM
I told the cop the mini story on the phone, and hes comming over here now. Ill keep you guys posted

Actually please don't keep us posted. My BS meter is going off and I don't understand why you feel like these forums are the best help you are going to find.

There is obviously something up with this entire story. Why are you so set on figuring out if insurance will cover you? That would be the last thing I would think.

If you know who took it, why have you not gone over there and seriously confronted him, I know your friends talked to his dad or whatever but come on. Grow up, and do something about this rather than sitting online and building up the drama.

If it is totally true, I'm sorry, but get some common sense and next time it happends immediately do something about it, don't immediately go online and whine about it.

robertmorris2
Aug 10, 2006, 01:41 PM
Cut his throat !!

macdaddy121
Aug 10, 2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, why aren't you doing something about this.....sounds like someone is more interested in insurance then in getting his computer back. That's not good. If there was a party with a keg then why are the parents all upset that someone was upstairs taking your computer. I assume they would be more upset that their son has a bunch of drunk kids at their house while they are sleeping.

mark!
Aug 10, 2006, 01:59 PM

To your mom or the cops? I recommend you do both. Don't tell the cops EVERYTHING, they don't need to know what went down at the party. Just say that someone took the laptop, it'll be fine. Even if they found out it won't be such a huge deal. Just be civilized.

annk
Aug 10, 2006, 02:02 PM
If what you're telling us is true, and not an insurance scam or just the work of a troll, I think you need to tell the police the entire truth in a calm way. Don't worry about what they're going to think about the party or alcohol, you need to concentrate on presenting the facts in a mature and believable way. The fact that you were present in a house where there was a party, does not change the fact that you were robbed.

In addition, don't worry right now about the fact that your mother thought you were somewhere else. You and she can deal with that later (I'm the mother of a teenager, by the way, so you're getting a parent's view here). Concentrate on TELLING THE POLICE THE ENTIRE TRUTH in a calm, reasonable manner. If you leave something out, it WILL come out later, and it will make you look like a liar.

extraextra
Aug 10, 2006, 02:03 PM
Actually please don't keep us posted. My BS meter is going off and I don't understand why you feel like these forums are the best help you are going to find.

No no, I want to find out where this story is going!

macdaddy121
Aug 10, 2006, 02:05 PM
Almost one hour has gone by and no update......anyone smell that???

annk
Aug 10, 2006, 02:10 PM
Almost one hour has gone by and no update......anyone smell that???

Well, if this is for real, and the police really were on the way over at the time of his last post, they'd be there now, talking to him. In addition, he's got an issue with his rents about his whereabouts last night - could be there's a family conference going on. That would explain the update delay.

Let's wait and see. It's either a tragic situation or a huge hoax of some kind.

Mammoth
Aug 10, 2006, 02:28 PM
Well, if the coppers don't do ****, I ask you: Do you have a gun?

extraextra
Aug 10, 2006, 02:43 PM
Maybe I missed something somewhere, but these things don't make sense in your story. (not exactly accusing you of lying, but something isn't right?)

They know who took it, and they went to his hosue when I was still sleeping.

Why didn't they wake you?

A friend of Trisha, who was sleeping over, was the only one inside and he was watch a baseball game i believe. He left, and a lil while later, Trishas boyfriend sees this kid, wrapping up a web cam, which he said he picked up off the floor. It was plugged into the back of the tower earlier this day.

?? So the boyfriend was like, "Dude, you found the webcam on the floor of the house? Great find! Have fun with it!" Why wasn't the guy stopped?

Did the kid tell you all this? Otherwise, how do you know, since everyone was in the back. The whole paragraph doesn't make sense, to be honest.

Yes, i have a 2000+$ theft but I just found out about it an hour ago, no one heres even up yet although I keep trying because i got to get to a station.

You said they raised hell at his house around 4-5am, why wouldn't they wake you up and tell you, seeing it was your computer? How did they know your computer was stolen - do they watch over your stuff 24/7? If they did notice your computer was missing, again, why wouldn't they wake you up and tell you, or at least ask, "hey, did you move your computer because it isn't here anymore?" or something like that?

mac000
Aug 10, 2006, 02:53 PM
OK, one time my family was at a party at a friends and their dog tore up my moms new fur coat. They felt really bad, (it was a very bad dog), but they used their HOME OWNERS INSURANCE to get the money back for the coat.

Ask about HOME OWNERS INSURANCE, that might work! But before hand, just get ur ass over to the kids house and just walk in and look for it, no if ands or buts.

Bobby Garcia
Aug 10, 2006, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=extraextra]Maybe I missed something somewhere, but these things don't make sense in your story. (not exactly accusing you of lying, but something isn't right?)

Why didn't they wake you?

?? So the boyfriend was like, "Dude, you found the webcam on the floor of the house? Great find! Have fun with it!" Why wasn't the guy stopped?

Did the kid tell you all this? Otherwise, how do you know, since everyone was in the back. The whole paragraph doesn't make sense, to be honest.

You said they raised hell at his house around 4-5am, why wouldn't they wake you up and tell you, seeing it was your computer? How did they know your computer was stolen - do they watch over your stuff 24/7? If they did notice your computer was missing, again, why wouldn't they wake you up and tell you, or at least ask, "hey, did you move your computer because it isn't here anymore?" or something like that?[/QUOTE

Touché... I agree with this guy. The whole scenario sounds like a scene from the movie he was working on and lost... if not, add it when you get your Mac back.

_Matt
Aug 10, 2006, 03:18 PM
This story does not make sense at all.

If your MacBook was really stolen, I hope you do the right thing and take the situation to the police. They are the only ones who can resolve this situation.

However, the information and the way you presented this story are shady.

extraextra
Aug 10, 2006, 03:37 PM
But before hand, just get ur ass over to the kids house and just walk in and look for it, no if ands or buts.

You can't just waltz into someone's house without their permission. It's breaking and entering.

BobbyGarcia - I'm a girl, hehe.

KingYaba
Aug 10, 2006, 03:41 PM
Ditch the keg if you want, be sure everyone has their story strait. File the police report and then contact your insurance company. They will replace it. This ******* who stole your computer will burn in the lake of fire. (Or maybe the frozen lake as stated by Dante) Enough is enough don't go to the guy's house and beat the crap out of him. That will only piss him off and he'll probly just break the thing to bits out of spite if he had not sold it already. Secondly if you go to his house and hurt him, he can turn around and file charges against you and you'll be sitting in jail lookin at charges of assault with no hope of getting your MacBook Pro back.

Personally risking jail time for getting 'revenge' is not worth it. Especially when you can get the MacBook Pro replaced one way or another. It sucks I know dude. I have had my wallet stolen (120 bucks in there too), I have had a bike stolen, I have had several text books stolen when I was in highschool, and to top it off our lawnmower was stolen once... pretty sad.

About the drinking thing, the cops will not press charges against if you admit to it. They'll just give you a little talk about how your not supposed to be drinking at that age, and how it gets you into trouble, and how it prevents you from making responsible decisions (Like keeping your mbp in sight always). All in all they will still treat you with respect and will treat this situation with care and will do what htey can to get it back. They will probly tell you what many here have said, file insurance claims.

Bobby Garcia
Aug 10, 2006, 07:38 PM
You can't just waltz into someone's house without their permission. It's breaking and entering.

BobbyGarcia - I'm a girl, hehe.

OOPS, sorry... I still concur.

Sun Baked
Aug 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
Secondly if you go to his house and hurt him, he can turn around and file charges against you and you'll be sitting in jail lookin at charges of assault with no hope of getting your MacBook Pro back. See this is where street justice tends to work, since they will also be arrested for their crime against you.

Which generally tends to keep the theives from going to the cops, unless they are just plain stupid.

Of course look at all the stupid criminals in jail for going to the cops and filling out a "he stole my pot" police report.

"he beat the crap out of me and took back the computer I stole" is just as bad, of course once the machine is gone ... the lying sack of **** has the upper hand.

jackc
Aug 10, 2006, 07:49 PM
That's why you need to plan your revenge carefully. I would be working on it full time for several years.

Bobby Garcia
Aug 10, 2006, 08:08 PM
I feel you on this, he stole it from you first, so you shouldn't feel akward. Run up in his house and Sherlock Holmes the hell out of his room.

BUT, it still would be breaking and entering if you do that. SHE is right on that.

In a case like this, I wish that the Apple Care Protection Plan provided immunity for a victim of theft, so you can use any means to get it back. That would be nice.

macdaddy121
Aug 10, 2006, 08:14 PM
Well I guess he went back to get his computer and was hit by a bus on his way there. Either that or he was arrested for admitting to drinking under age (:D ) or his parent's have suspended his computer usage (:D )

or he's full of ****

GoCubsGo
Aug 10, 2006, 08:19 PM

Just CALL THE COPS!
This is good advice, but I am having a VERY hard time with this story. There was a comment about a friend that was allowed in the house. He was watching a baseball game, at 10:30 p.m. at night while everyone else was outside drinking.

You were asleep at 10:30 p.m. at night and you're worried about the cops and the beer? I'm confused because at this point, you have no friends so long as they're willing to allow this kid to walk away from their house with your property. Not to mention, this is your laptop, who cares if they are caught drinking?

You have not told your parents and yet everyone else seems to have their parents involved. Good one.

You have not called the cops or even hinted about the fact that you will call them. You want everyone to tell you what to say. Why not tell them that you were sleeping, your laptop was stolen by someone who was at the house with your friend's sister? Try that, it's the truth, but hey...it's a novel idea.

You also need to tell your parents. If they're pissed off that you were in bed sleeping while your underage friends were drinking then so be it. I'd say it was good that you were sleeping, but something tells me that you weren't or that there is more to your story that you're just simply not telling us.

I hope you get it back and I certainly hope you do not resort to the poor guidance of others who think that kicking his ass is going to do anything but cause more trouble.

nickelbackmac
Aug 10, 2006, 08:28 PM
Wow... that is horrible. I agree with the most of us, calling the cops and seeing what they do. I had recently found a Mac Mini (Intel) and after it was recovered, though it was thought to be dead, it turned out to be my friend's after I checked the documents and User Account info. I went to his house to borrow his power supply before it was recovered, and he had a MM but the display, mouse, keyboard, and speakers were there, but no MM, so that is when I thought of recovering it and sure enough, it was James Brooks MM (thats his name)

But anyways, you should get the police to FULLY search his house and his main places, like his car and workplace (if he works) and room. You could hire someone to spy on him and catch him using it, and take a picture of him, then turn it in. And if it all works out, give the policemen donuts. They'll be glad to help you next time something like that happens ;) .

Aperture
Aug 10, 2006, 08:31 PM
Soooooooo...

Where is the guy now?

generik
Aug 10, 2006, 08:33 PM
You sound way young.

Can someone please tell me more about insurance.

Its not like he was breaking and entering, although nobody was allowed in the house. How does home insurance cover things like this. Im hesitant about going right to the police, because the story i pitch to them, may affect me seeing anything for my computer.

Data loss is already horrendous, being that I formatted my external backup drive for a film project, (also lost).

Of course not, it was your negligence, plain and simple. The insurance company will just come, take a look, decide there is no sign of break in, and good bye to your MBP.

shieldyoureyes
Aug 10, 2006, 08:56 PM
Sorry I'm a bit late on this one, but I vote for breaking some legs.

extraextra
Aug 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
Well I guess he went back to get his computer and was hit by a bus on his way there. Either that or he was arrested for admitting to drinking under age (:D ) or his parent's have suspended his computer usage (:D )

or he's full of ****

I was hoping for some fun this evening, but he seems to have disappeared.

p0intblank
Aug 10, 2006, 09:11 PM
I just now got into this thread and would really like to know how it ends... so where are you, OP???

Lau
Aug 10, 2006, 09:13 PM
You have not called the cops or even hinted about the fact that you will call them.

Just to point out that he does indeed seem (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2705405&postcount=51) to have called the police.

Lau
Aug 10, 2006, 09:33 PM
Oh, and by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

I don't think he's shooting the messenger, he's merely commenting on the way you're berating the original poster for his choice in computer...

generik
Aug 10, 2006, 09:35 PM
This kid got something expensive yanked, through his own negligence mind you, something that he obviously didn't earn (so he has no sense of money), and instead of taking responsibility for his own screw up, his first thought is "oh noes, I screwed up! Someone else gotta pay to cover my mistake! The insurance company!"

Meanwhile his friend's parents pay higher premiums next year.

I am not an American, but from what I see this is not a very good sign...

atticus1178
Aug 10, 2006, 09:40 PM
The OP wanted to have a nice computer, so he got one. Now yes, he shouldn't have left it unattended at wherever he may have been. But he did not choose to have it stolen, it just happened.

generik
Aug 10, 2006, 09:48 PM
The OP wanted to have a nice computer, so he got one. Now yes, he shouldn't have left it unattended at wherever he may have been. But he did not choose to have it stolen, it just happened.

My point is simply that one should take responsibility for his own actions. Seeing the way how he just *assumes* the insurance company is going to fix things up for him just plain disgusts me really.

How is home owner's supposed to cover something like this? You left the door open, people walk in and out freely, a stranger's item in your insured house got stolen. What's next? I insure my home contents for 1 trillion dollars and get the US treasury to move Fort Knox to my place?

mkaake
Aug 10, 2006, 09:51 PM
I don't think he's lying, and I think it's a shame that no matter what's told in an online forum, within a matter of hours, most people seem to think that the OP is lying.

I mean seriously.

The guy's a little upset right now over the loss of his $2000 laptop. I think we all would be. How would you act if you had it stolen from you, whilst under slightly dubious circumstances. It's easy to say "oh, you should be acting like this", or "I'd never act that way", but it's a totally different thing when you're the guy/gal who's out of a new MBP and all it's data.

Not everyone online who's got a story to tell is telling a story. Just wait until we hear what happens before everyone calls him a liar. Good grief... I swear half the people here wouldn't be happy unless there were multiple (and independent) videos of this guy stealing the laptop. And then you'd question the authenticity of it being staged...

Felldownthewell
Aug 10, 2006, 09:57 PM
To the OP: stop freaking out and go to the cops. Insurance will do nothing if you do not go to them. If you beat the **** out of him, HE will go to the cops and YOU will be in the wrong. Have the cops terrorize him, not you and your friends. Get together all the relevant witnesses and take a drive the nearest police station. If they refuse to help, THEN start breaking skulls.

On another note, hopefully this guy isn't pulling our collective legs, but if you aren't, keep us updated! If you are BSing us, I hope you get banned.

bbrosemer
Aug 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
This kid got something expensive yanked, through his own negligence mind you, something that he obviously didn't earn (so he has no sense of money), and instead of taking responsibility for his own screw up, his first thought is "oh noes, I screwed up! Someone else gotta pay to cover my mistake! The insurance company!"

Wow come on some ass stole it its that simple, America is full of *****s however there are just as many good people he just didnt weed them out yet.

thestaton
Aug 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
I read at thread 1 sense then it looks like this has gone no where. did you get it back yet?

Nuc
Aug 10, 2006, 10:07 PM
My point is simply that one should take responsibility for his own actions. Seeing the way how he just *assumes* the insurance company is going to fix things up for him just plain disgusts me really.

How is home owner's supposed to cover something like this? You left the door open, people walk in and out freely, a stranger's item in your insured house got stolen. What's next? I insure my home contents for 1 trillion dollars and get the US treasury to move Fort Knox to my place?
I think some of you guys have lost focus on what the OP said. First of all he went to visit someone whom he thought had a safe house. So he left his laptop on a table or something. Is he supposed to sleep with the bloody thing?? Seriously guys, cut the kid some slack because he didn't do anything wrong!! He was sleeping.... Anyways it is my opinion that the people he stayed with should replace his loss since he was invited and believed that he was safe in the house. If he were sleeping on the sidewalk somewhere then I would say that he should be sleeping with it...

Oh and I'm a grad student so does that give me the right to blame the kid for not cuddling with his laptop every time he stays at someone's house??

Nuc

atticus1178
Aug 10, 2006, 10:08 PM
did you get it back yet?

i want to know too

this little "intermission" in the story needs to be OVER so the real story can continue

but i do have to say if someone stole my mbp and i knew who it was, there would be h**l to pay!

Doctor Q
Aug 10, 2006, 10:49 PM
Note and warning from the moderator: This thread has been cleaned up by the moderators. A number of off-topic posts have been removed, as well as those with flames or personal insults. Don't make further work for us.

kammron
Aug 11, 2006, 01:17 AM
go to walmart, buy skee masks and bats,
and break into his house.
be quick, just get it and leave

wako
Aug 11, 2006, 02:59 AM
obviously you read only the first post

RedTomato
Aug 11, 2006, 04:03 AM
Laptops are the most sexy and stealable toy in the whole wide world.

I've had someone smash my window and climb into my house just to take my laptop.

Nowadays I hide my laptop when I'm out, and make sure it's never visible from the street or from the garden.

No way on earth would I take my laptop to a house if I knew there was to be a party there.

Especially if it's a party with people who I don't know well there.

If the party was something you didn't know about till you arrived, I would have made sure it was well hidden somewhere, not just left out in open view.

In emergencies, I've been known to sleep with my Powerbook under my pillow.

Ah well. It's gone now.

Focuss on learning what you can from this. Learn how to deal with police, parents, insurance, how to look after new laptops etc.

fatties
Aug 11, 2006, 06:50 AM
I think some of you guys have lost focus on what the OP said. First of all he went to visit someone whom he thought had a safe house. So he left his laptop on a table or something. Is he supposed to sleep with the bloody thing?? Seriously guys, cut the kid some slack because he didn't do anything wrong!! He was sleeping.... Anyways it is my opinion that the people he stayed with should replace his loss since he was invited and believed that he was safe in the house. If he were sleeping on the sidewalk somewhere then I would say that he should be sleeping with it...

Oh and I'm a grad student so does that give me the right to blame the kid for not cuddling with his laptop every time he stays at someone's house??

Nuc

i am a grad student too. and honestly, will you be taking your computer to a house party? (which from the op post about 'lying' to parents, kegs and others seem to be so) yes, whats done is done and it is a 'tragedy', but i think what some of us are trying to say is that he can't start blaming other people for his own mistakes or oversights. i think having stuff taken at a house party is pretty much a given- its just whether you will really miss it or not!

for the op: just out of interest, was it a:
a) complete rager, (open door policy, randoms!)
b) large gathering of kids all drinking beer (semi- open door, people claiming to 'know' people)
c) intimate party between friends, (closed door) but which you obviously didn't attend.

i think whether the owner is at fault also depends on these factors.

hope the police is trying to help though!

macdaddy121
Aug 11, 2006, 07:01 AM

Generik

Home owner's insurance will and does cover this. Regardless of wether your doors were locked or you didn't have doors on your house, most home owner's insurance will cover the theft of something on your property. Now you are right. The home owners (not his family but a friend's family) will have to start paying a slightly higher premium. The problem with this story is that it is not true. The sequence of events is way off and there are holes throughout. I don't know a single teenager that would be asleep at 10:30 and I definently don't know a single teenager that would be asleep at 10:30 in there was a party and a keg downstairs.

Lastly, I don't believe the story he is telling. Where did he go? For 3 hours he was diligently sitting by the computer telling his story and now he has disappeared. I'm sure he is now sitting and home trying to figure out how to get out of this situation. He will either come back with another story of where he has been (which might clear things up) or he won't come back for a long time if at all.

If your story is real, I am sorry for not believing you and I hope you get your computer back in one peice. Good luck.

VoodooDaddy
Aug 11, 2006, 07:34 AM
Generik

Home owner's insurance will and does cover this. Regardless of wether your doors were locked or you didn't have doors on your house, most home owner's insurance will cover the theft of something on your property. Now you are right. The home owners (not his family but a friend's family) will have to start paying a slightly higher premium. The problem with this story is that it is not true. The sequence of events is way off and there are holes throughout. I don't know a single teenager that would be asleep at 10:30 and I definently don't know a single teenager that would be asleep at 10:30 in there was a party and a keg downstairs.

Lastly, I don't believe the story he is telling. Where did he go? For 3 hours he was diligently sitting by the computer telling his story and now he has disappeared. I'm sure he is now sitting and home trying to figure out how to get out of this situation. He will either come back with another story of where he has been (which might clear things up) or he won't come back for a long time if at all.

If your story is real, I am sorry for not believing you and I hope you get your computer back in one peice. Good luck.

This post makes absolutely NO sense. First you scold generik some comments made about the OP, whether or not the kid deserved a MBP.

Then you turn right around and say you don't believe the story (ie - the OP is lying).

I'm guessing your parents were firm believers in "don't do as I do, do as I say."

For what its worth, I think the OP is lying. IMO there was no MBP and he wants the insurance company to buy him one.

Or, maybe there was a MBP, it wasn't stolen, but he either 1) wants $ to buy another and sell 2) wants $ to pay for the one he bought, essentially getting the MBP he has for free 3) just a scam to pocket $2k.

macdaddy121
Aug 11, 2006, 07:56 AM
This post makes absolutely NO sense. First you scold generik some comments made about the OP, whether or not the kid deserved a MBP.

Then you turn right around and say you don't believe the story (ie - the OP is lying).

I'm guessing your parents were firm believers in "don't do as I do, do as I say."

For what its worth, I think the OP is lying. IMO there was no MBP and he wants the insurance company to buy him one.

Or, maybe there was a MBP, it wasn't stolen, but he either 1) wants $ to buy another and sell 2) wants $ to pay for the one he bought, essentially getting the MBP he has for free 3) just a scam to pocket $2k.

Generik got on here and started bashing the kid and saying he didn't even deserve the MBP. I'm saying I don't believe his story. My comments make perfect sense. Generik wanted to cause trouble and I'm saying that I just don't believe the kid. I'm just saying I don't believe the story. BIG DIFFERENCE.

The way I presented my argument compared to Generik is completly different. That's where the problem is. Before commenting on something, make sure you read the whole thing. He was harsh, rude, and condesending to several people. He even said that's why he posts on discussion boards. I calmly stated how I just don't believe the story. Get it right.

VoodooDaddy
Aug 11, 2006, 10:08 AM
Before commenting on something, make sure you read the whole thing.

I did read the whole thing, all 5 pages before it got trimmed down back to 4.

I stand by what I said before.

eenu
Aug 11, 2006, 10:09 AM
get some mates together and lift the kid of the street into the back of the car and put a gun to this ****s head.

Drive him somewhere quiet give him a spade and tell him to dig his grave and he can stop when he tells you where the MBP is. If he hasn't told you by the end of the dig tell him your gonna cap his ass and leave him in the hole!

Chances are this kid will cough and if not just shove him in the hole and drive off (minus the cap in his ass of course). :P

Heard this technique has worked before though the kid wet himself.

Other than that defo go to the Cops....to be honest if more than 12 hrs has passed up since it was stolen it will be gone if this kid is a good theif as the key to a good theft is to have it sold on 2 or 3 times in the first 24hrs.

gauchogolfer
Aug 11, 2006, 10:40 AM
get some mates together and lift the kid of the street into the back of the car and put a gun to this ****s head.

Drive him somewhere quiet give him a spade and tell him to dig his grave and he can stop when he tells you where the MBP is. If he hasn't told you by the end of the dig tell him your gonna cap his ass and leave him in the hole!

Chances are this kid will cough and if not just shove him in the hole and drive off (minus the cap in his ass of course). :P

Other than that defo go to the Cops....to be honest if more than 12 hrs has passed up since it was stolen it will be gone if this kid is a good theif as the key to a good theft is to have it sold on 2 or 3 times in the first 24hrs.

Obviously you would have to be insane to do this. What the hell are you suggesting here? Let's try and give some actual advice, not getting the kid thrown in jail. Christ.

eenu
Aug 11, 2006, 10:44 AM
though anyone with an actual brain would engage it, chuckle, then move on. My advice was in the last couple of lines after the first JOKE paragraphs.

gauchogolfer
Aug 11, 2006, 10:48 AM
though anyone with an actual brain would engage it, chuckle, then move on. My advice was in the last couple of lines after the first JOKE paragraphs. OK, if you read through the whole thread you will see that there have been many people proposing he get friends to go over, beat him up, take bats to him, etc. So sorry if my BS meter is a bit off.

eenu
Aug 11, 2006, 10:54 AM
OK, if you read through the whole thread you will see that there have been many people proposing he get friends to go over, beat him up, take bats to him, etc. So sorry if my BS meter is a bit off.

Its ok no problem :)

Should have probably worded it more jokey just thought the fact that what i said was so so outlandish that it would just register as a joke to people.

Back to the thread though - Even if i was in the kids situation and i may be in trouble with my parents i would tell them so that they would help me! Apart from sleeping at someones house he shouldnt have been at the OP really hasn't done anything else wrong.

He should get his parents and the police involved though as i said before a theif normally shifts the goods within hours of stealing it. He may have even driven somewhere and sold it on the way home. The person he sold it to will have then sold it to another person a few short hours later.

jackc
Aug 11, 2006, 11:32 AM

Actually, I thought this was a rather good plan. I would leave out the gun though, and just use blunt weapons as a threat.

Felldownthewell
Aug 11, 2006, 12:31 PM
Actually, I thought this was a rather good plan. I would leave out the gun though, and just use blunt weapons as a threat.

Or an airsoft gun with a repainted tip. The only way he would get it back is by terrifying the guy who stole it. The best way to do that is with the cops. The second best way is kidnapping, the third is an angry mob. The second two, however, make you a criminal as well, which means that if he calls the cops, you have 0 credability and will probably go to jail yourself. Granted, he hasn't been back in a while, so I'm calling this story BS, unless he comes back...

wonga1127
Aug 11, 2006, 01:36 PM
Wasn't there a security program for MBPs that once reported stolen, the company watches for the serial number after it connects to the internet, takes a picture of the perp with the iSight, then calls the cops. Makes everything simple IMO. Forgot the name though.

Theres always iAlertU:!!!! (http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/ialertu_017b_theft_alarm_to_your_macbook_pro/)

WildCowboy
Aug 11, 2006, 01:38 PM
Wasn't there a security program for MBPs that once reported stolen, the company watches for the serial number after it connects to the internet, takes a picture of the perp with the iSight, then calls the cops. Makes everything simple IMO. Forgot the name though.

Undercover (http://orbicule.com/undercover/)...very neat concept.

extraextra
Aug 11, 2006, 01:43 PM

That program sounds amazing. I'm surprised that it's only $25! I will have to look into it whenever I get my MBP.

Zwhaler
Aug 11, 2006, 02:46 PM
I just read all about Undercover, and it sounds amazing. Ill buy it for my upcoming MBP.

Sun Baked
Aug 11, 2006, 02:55 PM
That program sounds amazing. I'm surprised that it's only $25! I will have to look into it whenever I get my MBP.And if they cannot recover your machine, you get back $25. :p

Aperture
Aug 11, 2006, 02:58 PM
I'm starting to think this is BS. Still no word from the OP??:rolleyes:

Zwhaler
Aug 11, 2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah, guess so. I still believe him, but I do find it odd that he goes so long without replying.

eenu
Aug 11, 2006, 03:07 PM
maybe he told his parents and they severly told him off and grounded him with no net access :p

Zwhaler
Aug 11, 2006, 03:22 PM
maybe he told his parents and they severly told him off and grounded him with no net access :p

That is possible, but not logical. It wasn't his fault his mbp got stolen... either that or they're just pissed about him lying about where he was staying at. Either way i dont care i just want to know what happened lol

dngonzales
Aug 11, 2006, 03:39 PM
i guess thats why its called a macbook pro because its for pro users as in professional nothing about this guys actions was professional at all

first of all he sounds like a teenager he probably just got it and was showing it off at they party making everybody envious like kids do then he got extremely drunk passed out and got his MBP stolen

the cops are just gonna be like son this is why you shouldnt drink underage because its not responsible and you are irresponsible and then the cops wont do any thing because they will think that him losing his MBP will teach him a lesson and maybe he wont drink any more

i never show off my stuff to any one matter a fact thats why i dont have freinds "people suck" plain and simple dont bring a 2 thousand dollar piece of equipment to a party especially one that is portable if you are going to get wasted

i went to a party once when i was 18 and crotched an OZ one time passed out and woke up with an 1/8 th never again

you live you learn

and by the way i dont do what i did when i was 18 anymore since now im almost thirty

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 11, 2006, 08:06 PM
So, what an afternoon and evening. I called my mother shortly after my last post and she came rushing and hours way to where i was. She was very upset, and made me seem like such an butt hole for lying and this is what i get. I called the cops and a car showed up before my mom got there. I filled out a theft report and the cop told me this "well we arrest people, we dont barge into "suspects" houses and search the place. We arrest criminals. Well keep an eye out and call us when you have the serial number. well add it to the file"

Me and my mother went to the suspects house, but this time he his mother had his back, and offered him her full support. My mother offered a several hundred dollar reward for the computer. (which at the time i tought was very poorly backed-up) We didnt accuse him this time but just said well give someone money, and someone else can give us the computer. We dont wanna know who took it, we just want to pay and get it back. He said he'd look around. But it was already several hours later. It was probaly sold already. I found that it doesn't go through my neighbors homeowners but it goes through my own. I have to pay a 500$ deductible and am covered for up to 5000$. I took off work tomorrow to drive back and fill a more complete police report. At the time my friends boyfriend signed it and gave the address and what not even though i told the cop it was stolen from me. Now they see the mistake and i have to go sign and give more details.

We told my friend that it would go under her home owners insurance, which at the time we thought it would. She and her parents flipped and finally they all had a firecracker under their butts to find the thing. There spreading new about a reward but i think the chances of finding it are very slim.

My mother wasn't so made at what i had done, more at the fact that i was deciteful and this is what occured and she was upset i hadent called her the moment i woke up.

Im back online now after not having access to a computer yesterday evening and i worked all today. Im going to sift through the forum and maybe i can sort out some of the confusion. It was a crazy time and i was typing as events were occuring. Lots of things im sure got jambled.

Thanks. Richard

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 11, 2006, 08:41 PM

To pay for my first powerbook g4 I worked 12 days for my dad during vacations when I was in 8th grade. I put 1200 in the bank from that time. I took the other 600 from my bank.

I worked at a supermarket since I was 14 and used it to buy 1/4 of my GL2, My parents and birthday/christmas paid for that and it was a big gift to get my going on my career at the age 14 in film. Plus my parents were tired of the junk look of their 460x-200x (or something) digital still camera footage. And they had seen the work i had already done w/ that.

I have continued working at the grocers and for myh dad when possible and with that I was able to sell my powerbook g4 to my mother who I had just convined to do get a mbp, so i gave her 500$ and we traded. (im using that powerbook now)

I made a mistake, and i realized that im just a ****ing sheep in this world. I have always galevanted through life with my stuff, sitting on the train with my bose headphones and all my techie garbage goign to nyc, looking like a million bucks, and Ill honestly say, it never occured to me how people look at that, and look to get you. I could have seen someone stealin my iPod (of course) or maybe my wallet. But for someone to unplug a computer pack up powerbrick and steal it while i was passed out (with a bucket next to my pillow btw) with the computer 10 feet max away from me, and me laying facing the front door of the house. People are sneaking ****s, and im just a sheep. No more. As for insurance. Its our first homeowners claim ever so out rates aren't going up and its covered once i pay the 500$ deductible. (Theres already 300$ in my moms room towards it, im so glad im such a saver) I don't look to cheat insurance. And I dont veiw them as a bank to cover negligent mistakes. But if this happened to you, would you not use what you pay for every month, (or year, i dunno i havn't gotten the bill) They told me, this is what homeowners insurance is for.

breakfastcrew
Aug 11, 2006, 08:42 PM
cops are retards....they never do **** for small things like this. My dad had things stolen from his warehouse 11 years ago and they still can't find ****. blah stupid cops useless

O have you check the pawn shops around you?? maybe scan ebay for the next few months?? Craiglist?

Keebler
Aug 11, 2006, 09:02 PM
To pay for my first powerbook g4 I worked 12 days for my dad during vacations when I was in 8th grade. I put 1200 in the bank from that time. I took the other 600 from my bank.

I worked at a supermarket since I was 14 and used it to buy 1/4 of my GL2, My parents and birthday/christmas paid for that and it was a big gift to get my going on my career at the age 14 in film. Plus my parents were tired of the junk look of their 460x-200x (or something) digital still camera footage. And they had seen the work i had already done w/ that.

I have continued working at the grocers and for myh dad when possible and with that I was able to sell my powerbook g4 to my mother who I had just convined to do get a mbp, so i gave her 500$ and we traded. (im using that powerbook now)

I made a mistake, and i realized that im just a ****ing sheep in this world. I have always galevanted through life with my stuff, sitting on the train with my bose headphones and all my techie garbage goign to nyc, looking like a million bucks, and Ill honestly say, it never occured to me how people look at that, and look to get you. I could have seen someone stealin my iPod (of course) or maybe my wallet. But for someone to unplug a computer pack up powerbrick and steal it while i was passed out (with a bucket next to my pillow btw) with the computer 10 feet max away from me, and me laying facing the front door of the house. People are sneaking ****s, and im just a sheep. No more. As for insurance. Its our first homeowners claim ever so out rates aren't going up and its covered once i pay the 500$ deductible. (Theres already 300$ in my moms room towards it, im so glad im such a saver) I don't look to cheat insurance. And I dont veiw them as a bank to cover negligent mistakes. But if this happened to you, would you not use what you pay for every month, (or year, i dunno i havn't gotten the bill) They told me, this is what homeowners insurance is for.

hey Dick...i feel for you. i would advise against reading all the messages. unfortunately, there were quite a few ppl not believing or doubting your story. you might almost get as angry reading those posts as you were when you found out the laptop was gone. there is a bunch of us who did believe you and are pulling for a positive solution in the end.

sad to see that kids mom stand behind him. if it were my kid (and yes, I do have 2 of them), i'd be ripping through my house and emails/phone calls (if I could get into them) to ensure that my kid didn't do anything wrong. I trust my kids, but sometimes, ***** happens and poor decisions are made.

i would also ask your friends' friends' friends to find out if this dude was selling anything.

thank God for homeowner's insurance.

Good luck.

MacVault
Aug 11, 2006, 09:23 PM
Did you have anything like DynDNS installed? If so and if the thief ever connects the MBP to the internet it will report the IP address to your DynDNS account.

Also, check with Apple and match your serial# of the laptop with the MAC address of the airport card. Go to every nearby wifi hotspot and tel them to have their wireless routers report when that MAC address connects.

If your Airport was set to automatically connect to the nearest wifi hotspot, go get a wifi router or a friend's laptop, tell it to create a network, drive up next to the kids house and try to get your laptop to connect.

Aperture
Aug 11, 2006, 09:37 PM
^^I *really* like that idea... If my mac is ever stolen.. that is what I'm doing. :D

the kid 05
Aug 11, 2006, 09:46 PM
"cut his freakin head off!" -the weird guy from Waterboy.

thats what i would do, but i have temper problems :o

DMPDX
Aug 11, 2006, 09:54 PM

---

I agree. If the guy is bigger than you, gather as many older/bigger kids as you can that you are friends with. Cousins friends anyone. Go to his house, confroont him, and regulate. Its unfortunate that its know that the police wont help out a young kid w/ a stolen property case, but its just the way it is. Hope it works out.
-dsm

sushi
Aug 11, 2006, 09:55 PM
Yes it is. Neat that Apple has explored this solution.

matthewdavid
Aug 11, 2006, 10:57 PM
Granted I may be a new member, but wow....

I finally got around to registering (mainy to post in this thread), BUT I would have expected a lot more from people in general.

I've read a lot of posts that would have the OP resort to vigilante justice. This kind of response to the OPs question seem to be based in nothing but fantasy. No one in any sort of right mind would/should resort to such barbaric methods.

That said, I hope the OP does get his comp back. The best advice I can give has already been posted...get the police involved. When you end up dealing with the insurance companies, this will help speed things along.

quruli
Aug 11, 2006, 11:47 PM
I have heard great things about these:

http://www.stuffbak.com/sb/

They have been featured on a few news programs as well. For those who don't want to click the link here is a synopsis.

"StuffBak is a service that makes it easy for consumers and businesses to confidentially link important mobile assets to an international 24/7/365 recovery network. When a StuffBak-labeled item is found, the registered owner is immediately contacted by phone and email. StuffBak facilitates a speedy recovery and always thanks the finder."

Basicaly you attached these stuffbak labels to your item. The label is registered to you and if it is lost or stolen, someone can call stuffbak and they get the item back to you. They offer a reward to the finder in addition the owner can offer a reward as well.

I have a few for my things, haven't had to use them yet but they give me a little more piece of mind.

THX1139
Aug 12, 2006, 12:04 AM

---

Wow, there sure are a lot of violent types posting on this board. Sun Baked, you've been out in the sun too long. What you wrote is crazy! No computer is worth killing someone over. And yes, your description sounds similar to murder. There was a story in the new a year or so ago about some kids that went to a persons house to collect an x-box that was stolen. They wound up beating up people and that escalated to where a couple of people got murdered. Now they are in jail waiting to go on trial for murder. All over a stupid game!

You have few things that can be done. First, call the police. Second, call your insurance. If neither of those work, try reporting to Apple so if the serial number comes up, he will get caught. In the meantime, buy another computer and call it a lesson learned. Never ever leave your computer out of your sight unless you have insurance to replace it.

It looks like you watch too many movies. Jeez, get a clue. Our prisons are full of people who tried out similar stupid ideas. "Uh, seriously Officer, the gun went off by accident! We were just trying to scare him!"

MovieCutter
Aug 12, 2006, 12:10 AM
I don't know what's funnier, the violent suggestions that are obviously sarcastic...or the fact that some of you believe them.

KingYaba
Aug 12, 2006, 01:02 AM
If you read my post I never said use violence. It's not worth a 2000-3000 dollar laptop. IF the bastard hurt your wife or soemthing.. that's a different story :cool:

macenforcer
Aug 12, 2006, 01:05 AM
If you read my post I never said use violence. It's not worth a 2000-3000 dollar laptop. IF the bastard hurt your wife or soemthing.. that's a different story :cool:

Sorry but if someone took my beloved mac and I know who it was I would be breaking their legs. Sorry if its barbaric but thats life. Please someone tell me a story about the police returning their stolen watch or computer. It doesn't happen. A crook gets a sniff of the cops and your computer is in the river.

jackc
Aug 12, 2006, 07:04 AM
Basicaly you attached these stuffbak labels to your item. The label is registered to you and if it is lost or stolen, someone can call stuffbak and they get the item back to you. They offer a reward to the finder in addition the owner can offer a reward as well.

I have a few for my things, haven't had to use them yet but they give me a little more piece of mind.

That's pretty cool, but I've got to put a sticker on my laptop?

http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/etu/tutorials/HPNotebook_2005/notebook_front_small.jpg

Abstract
Aug 12, 2006, 07:18 AM
Keep stealing the air in his tires ...

Put weird stuff in his petrol tank. I wonder how far his car will travel using 12 gallons of "Tang."

Or you can do the immature thing and beat him, then defecate on his face.

gauchogolfer
Aug 12, 2006, 08:02 AM
Mix up some epoxy and put it in the keyhole for his car. That'll show him. If in fact you know who it was. Otherwise it's just vandalism. :D

eidrunner247
Aug 12, 2006, 10:13 AM
Put weird stuff in his petrol tank. I wonder how far his car will travel using 12 gallons of "Tang."

Or you can do the immature thing and beat him, then defecate on his face.

but Tang is soo good... put something else inside.. like vinegar, no one drinks vinegar. tang on the other hand... can't waste that stuff :-P

quruli
Aug 12, 2006, 10:26 AM
That's pretty cool, but I've got to put a sticker on my laptop?

http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/etu/tutorials/HPNotebook_2005/notebook_front_small.jpg

You can put it on the bottom...

A sticker on my things is a moot point, when that sticker could help to me to get my laptop back if something happens.

skipsandwichdx
Aug 12, 2006, 02:49 PM
What's stopping a thief from, say, peeling off the sticker?

p0intblank
Aug 12, 2006, 03:01 PM

Most thieves are stupid, though. The poster was just saying this could be an easy way of identifying the notebook as his/hers.

Timepass
Aug 12, 2006, 03:29 PM
see I just go with getting out an engraver and just engraving you name in the laptop. that is a lot harder to remove and it doest exactly wear off.

Sun Baked
Aug 12, 2006, 03:43 PM
see I just go with getting out an engraver and just engraving you name in the laptop. that is a lot harder to remove and it doest exactly wear off.Paint the machine pink, with flowers or Barbie stickers all over it.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 12, 2006, 07:52 PM
I have a graphite clamshell im restoring and hopefully airbrushing. Theives have to keep that thing on the DL.

quruli
Aug 12, 2006, 08:01 PM

The sticker is for honest people, say it gets lost or something. Theives might peel it off but if they are looking to dump it off they may not notice. With stuffbak combined with that application earlier in the thread would be some good protection.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 12, 2006, 09:21 PM
So i paid my parents 500$ for the deductible and the claims going through, slowly but surely:( ..Im still searching, but as time passes i think the likelyness of getting it back is decreasing steadily. My dad went to the kids hosue today when he got back from a trip. No luck.

So im looking at a check for the price of my MBP. 1800 w/ edu. My MBP 15" had been full whines, and its "OS X unexpectadley quits" like twice a week. Any idea if u should upgrade to a 17". Reviews have reported they are whisper quiet (something very important to me) and the screen is amazing. I just have to find out how much heavier it will feel in a oversized back pack than the 15. Ive always wanted a full featured 12" MBP as i loved the size of the 12" powerbook, but you cant always get what you want.

Any suggestions. Maybe ill fix up my graphite clamshell and get a mac pro w/ 23" for only what, 1200 dollars more. Hmmm. that would be nice. Plus 250$ to fix up the graphite

Hmmm

jackc
Aug 12, 2006, 09:48 PM
The sticker is for honest people, say it gets lost or something. Theives might peel it off but if they are looking to dump it off they may not notice. With stuffbak combined with that application earlier in the thread would be some good protection.

Their website has some interesting media links, where they did some experiments and had a high recovery rate. Although I think it's more likely with a cellphone or other items. For a laptop your chances probably go down, but if it's just lost and not stolen you might have a decent shot. Pretty cool idea, I'm thinking about it for my Powerbook.

breakfastcrew
Aug 13, 2006, 12:47 AM
hmmmmm wouldn't it be funny if you found out that kid didn't steal it after you beat the crap out of him.

LeeTom
Aug 13, 2006, 01:22 AM
Here's a suggestion for your next MacBook:

http://orbicule.com/undercover

"According to a recent FBI report, 97% of all stolen computers are never recovered. Many people we know have had their Macs stolen, often in 'safe' situations. That's why we developed Undercover: a unique theft-recovery application designed from the ground up for Mac OS X."

PatrickF
Aug 13, 2006, 04:58 AM
Any idea if u should upgrade to a 17". Reviews have reported they are whisper quiet (something very important to me) and the screen is amazing.
I would only go for the 17" if you really want the larger screen and the couple of extras you get with it.

If it's only the whine that's really bothering you with the 15" then Apple have addressed this apparently. I've read good results from people who sent their MBP in for a logic board replacement. I've still got to find the time to send mine away.

Arcus
Aug 13, 2006, 07:18 AM
I gotta call foul on this one. Something just doesnt make sense.

First off, if you call the cops and tell them your laptop ( +2000 , a FELONY) was stolen. You know who did it. They were tresspassing and you have a witness they will come to you. No need to go down to the station. They have cars you know..

Second, drop the insurance. Honestly I would feel more comfortable leaving parts of the stpry out when talking to the cops than I would talking to any insurance company.

And forget the insurance. You wound need a police report to confirm there was a break in, but you seem reluctant to even get the cops involved.

Something sounds fishy...

NightGeometry
Aug 13, 2006, 09:06 AM
Not completely related, but it has sparked my interest.

Is it actually illegal to drink under age in the USA? I know here it is illegal to buy booze when under age, but drinking it isn't against the law.

Nuc
Aug 13, 2006, 09:53 AM
Not completely related, but it has sparked my interest.

Is it actually illegal to drink under age in the USA? I know here it is illegal to buy booze when under age, but drinking it isn't against the law.
Yes it is illegal for minors to drink alcohol in the US. Of course it happens all the time and cops don't usually catch them...

Nuc

NightGeometry
Aug 13, 2006, 10:36 AM
Wow, that is kinda surprising. Sorry, I'll stop asking questions after this, but what about communion wine, or drinking wine with your dinner and such?

lexus
Aug 13, 2006, 10:49 AM
So i paid my parents 500$ for the deductible and the claims going through, slowly but surely:( ..Im still searching, but as time passes i think the likelyness of getting it back is decreasing steadily. My dad went to the kids hosue today when he got back from a trip. No luck.

So im looking at a check for the price of my MBP. 1800 w/ edu. My MBP 15" had been full whines, and its "OS X unexpectadley quits" like twice a week. Any idea if u should upgrade to a 17". Reviews have reported they are whisper quiet (something very important to me) and the screen is amazing. I just have to find out how much heavier it will feel in a oversized back pack than the 15. Ive always wanted a full featured 12" MBP as i loved the size of the 12" powerbook, but you cant always get what you want.

Any suggestions. Maybe ill fix up my graphite clamshell and get a mac pro w/ 23" for only what, 1200 dollars more. Hmmm. that would be nice. Plus 250$ to fix up the graphite

Hmmm

A 17 incher is great but gets no points for portability, if you f you did get one you need to get a MacBook for on the go stuff.

FF_productions
Aug 13, 2006, 12:35 PM
So umm, where's our OP that started a huge conversation and got somebody banned?

I think he is in jail/dead after trying to get his MBP back or it was a complete lie and he will never come back to MR and wants us to to put together a puzzle that doesn't even exist.

Also to the poster regarding alcohol, you CAN'T drink/buy alcohol legally in the US if you are under 21.

Hence the reason I'm going to Europe after I get out of high school.

Lock/Wasteland this thread if this OP isn't going to comeback.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 13, 2006, 02:22 PM
I gotta call foul on this one. Something just doesnt make sense.

First off, if you call the cops and tell them your laptop ( +2000 , a FELONY) was stolen. You know who did it. They were tresspassing and you have a witness they will come to you. No need to go down to the station. They have cars you know..

(A cop did come to the house, i dunno what your talking about. All he did was see where the laptop was when it was stolen, and filled out a forum.)

Second, drop the insurance. Honestly I would feel more comfortable leaving parts of the stpry out when talking to the cops than I would talking to any insurance company.

And forget the insurance. You wound need a police report to confirm there was a break in, but you seem reluctant to even get the cops involved.

Sorry, but your extremely wrong. I've already talked with allstate, (well my mom did) and the woman told us that it would not be covered under my friends home owners but under mine. Home owners covers possesions taken out of the house for short periods of time. I have a 500$ deductible to pay and i have coverage of my laptop up to 5000$. I have to fill out another police report, and continue talking with the police to try and locate the laptop. Cops know this. Theres was a lot of people over. It wasn't breaking in, because it wasn't a huge deal he was in the house. And NO ONE saw him with the computer in his hand. Just a stinking webcam.

Something sounds fishy...

BTW: A detective called this morning. I told him about the webcam. Something the officer who came to the house wrote nothing about,(all he wrote was the kids name and address.) He said if Pete, (trishas bf) could verify he was attempting to steal a webcam, he might be able to arrest him and from there find out more about the laptop. He's going to call me back after he gets in touch with Pete (whos at work) Well see what happens (Fingers Crossed)

So umm, where's our OP that started a huge conversation and got somebody banned?

I think he is in jail/dead after trying to get his MBP back or it was a complete lie and he will never come back to MR and wants us to to put together a puzzle that doesn't even exist.

Also to the poster regarding alcohol, you CAN'T drink/buy alcohol legally in the US if you are under 21.

Hence the reason I'm going to Europe after I get out of high school.

Lock/Wasteland this thread if this OP isn't going to comeback.

Ive been back and its been unlocked, next time keep reading. Doh

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 13, 2006, 02:28 PM
BTW: Who got banned or in a fight?/ What Happened whatd i miss

Aperture
Aug 13, 2006, 02:30 PM
Well this is probably one of the most interesting threads to hit MR in a while. :)

Doctor Q
Aug 13, 2006, 04:24 PM
BTW: Who got banned or in a fight?/ What Happened whatd i missBy policy, MacRumors does not discuss member discipline with other than the members involved. At least one member was given a "time out" for violation of forum rules. Also, a number of off-topic posts were removed by the moderators.

Zwhaler
Aug 13, 2006, 09:52 PM
Well this is probably one of the most interesting threads to hit MR in a while. :)

Yes, definately so. I hope they take the bad guy and arrest his ass

greenmac
Aug 14, 2006, 04:04 AM
slightly off topic, here in Australia illegal to buy alcohol under 18, but not illegal to drink it!
oh and if that happened to me (stolen laptop) well the kid woulda been bleeding.

LeeTom
Aug 14, 2006, 04:08 AM
It's not illegal for minors to drink in the USA, just purchase or consumption.

Jiddick ExRex
Aug 14, 2006, 04:23 AM
It's not illegal for minors to drink in the USA, just purchase or consumption.

So consuming it any other way than drinking it? Hmmmm, jellyshots here we go!

LeeTom
Aug 14, 2006, 04:26 AM
I'm sorry, heh... I meant purchase or possession.

Music_Producer
Aug 14, 2006, 04:47 AM
Why are most people refusing to believe the OP's story? Geez, obviously he's shocked by what happened.. and the one group he can discuss this with.. is other mac lovers.. you folks. Kinda pissing off when a bunch of smarty pants try to over-analyze the situation by playing detectives..lay off the CSI.

And who the hell are you to decide whether the OP should have a macbook pro or an ibook or whatever? If he has the money to buy it, he can buy whatever he wants. Everybody makes mistakes.. obviously the OP did, and I'm sure he learned from it.

To the OP-

Stop wasting time and keep a lookout for your computer on ebay. If the kid who took it has a little brains, he will sell it online. He's not going to sell it at a local garage sale or anything of that sort.

If you tell me the specs of the MBP, and where you're from (city and state) i can possibly keep a lookout for your laptop.

gnasher729
Aug 14, 2006, 04:54 AM

I guess Apple should offer an engraving service. On a MacBook Pro, your name and address could easily be engraved to the left or the right of the mousepad. Would make it very difficult to sell after it is stolen. Would also make it quite difficult to sell :-(

With the MacBook, it could be done by removing the white paint on the inside of the case before the case is put on the MacBook. Would be relatively easy as part of manufacturing, but a bit of a logistic problem.

Anyway, you would expect a call shortly after your MacBook is stolen like "I found a computer on the road with your name on it, probably dumped by a thief... ". Or you get a blackmail notice "pay $1000 or the Mac gets it..."

Dagless
Aug 14, 2006, 06:05 AM
well this has all been mad, think I'm a little late for the party. I'll just take off with this computer instead.

JAT
Aug 14, 2006, 10:33 AM
Glad it's working out at least halfway decently for you, Dick.

As for the alcohol discussion: Each state has its own laws in the USA, so different posters may have different laws.

MN law (http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/data/revisor/statutes/2005/340A/503.html) states that drinking is illegal for anyone under 21, so is purchasing, so is selling to an under-21-year-old. So is possession with intent to consume unless at your own parents'/guardian's house, so my kid can bring me a beer from the fridge and it's ok. And recently they changed the law to say you are not officially 21 until 8am on your birthday, too many people getting wasted at midnight. It is also worded so that cops don't have to have proof of the drinking, only intoxication (blood alcohol level).

Also, you are allowed to drink at your parents' house with their permission and their presence. But you better stay there, since the intoxication rules will apply if you are found elsewhere. And certainly driving is covered by DUI laws, anyway.

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 14, 2006, 06:32 PM
well this has all been mad, think I'm a little late for the party. I'll just take off with this computer instead.

What?

DickArmAndHarT
Aug 14, 2006, 06:35 PM
Why are most people refusing to believe the OP's story? Geez, obviously he's shocked by what happened.. and the one group he can discuss this with.. is other mac lovers.. you folks. Kinda pissing off when a bunch of smarty pants try to over-analyze the situation by playing detectives..lay off the CSI.

And who the hell are you to decide whether the OP should have a macbook pro or an ibook or whatever? If he has the money to buy it, he can buy whatever he wants. Everybody makes mistakes.. obviously the OP did, and I'm sure he learned from it.

To the OP-

Stop wasting time and keep a lookout for your computer on ebay. If the kid who took it has a little brains, he will sell it online. He's not going to sell it at a local garage sale or anything of that sort.

If you tell me the specs of the MBP, and where you're from (city and state) i can possibly keep a lookout for your laptop.

Thanks for the kind words. Ive been checking ebay and craigslist as well for it. Its a 1.83, base model. 512 ram. It does have a dent between the magsafe power port and the usb port on the left side. Ive been searching for zip code 11752, commack ny

JAT
Aug 15, 2006, 04:25 PM
What?
He's mocking the guy who stole it by making up a silly quote. His terminology may throw you as "mad" doesn't mean exactly the same thing in England.

KingYaba
Aug 15, 2006, 05:03 PM
So you're getting 1800 bucks? Why not just use that for a refurb 2.0ghz macbook pro? w/ 256 VRAM? Its like 1900. Be a nice lil speed boost for ya.