PDA

View Full Version : Orange iMac G3s....

ceruleanventure
Aug 10, 2006, 11:01 AM
This is kinda a dumb question, but I wasn't a mac user when the original "flavored" iMac G3s came out. I have a tangerine ibook (just for kicks) and I really want to buy a matching tangerine iMac (to match). However where are they all? Everywhere I look like at ebay, I see dozens of all the other colors except tangerine. Was it like an unpopular color or something? It just seems odd that I never see any. If anyone has one, or can point me in the right direction, that would be great! :cool:

Makosuke
Aug 10, 2006, 12:38 PM
Actually, yes--orange, if my memory from that far back functions properly, was by far the least popular color. Further, while all the later (266 and 333MHz) tray-loading revisions came in tangerine, only the midrange of the very first edition of the slot-loaders did, and I have the felling not many people bought them. All the other slot loaders--the low-end first ed., the DV SE, and all the later models (450MHz G3 or faster) did not come in orange.

So the fastest one you're going to find is a 400MHz slot loader, and not likely many of those. That said, there's at least three on eBay right now, all of which are 333MHz ones (ironically, one of the three eBay auctions claims to be for a "350MHz" tangerine iMac, which doesn't exist--those only came in blues, and even were you to overclock a 333 somehow I don't think it'd end up at 350).

steamboat26
Aug 10, 2006, 02:07 PM
This has a screen burn but... Tangerine iMac (http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=10005&find_only=&action=view&pid=2617267)
Also, i don't see any problems with this one... iMac (http://stores.channeladvisor.com/erecycleronline/Items/orange-333-128-7-CD?sck=842846)
I wonder why they didn't make it so the colored part of the imac is interchangable. That would've been cool!

Makosuke
Aug 10, 2006, 02:50 PM
Now that second one is a great deal--the same $60 all the eBay ones are selling at, but it's one of the rarer 400MHz models that have decent ports, notably better speed, and DRASTICALLY easier-to-upgrade memory. MUCH better computer--the difference between just barely functional and actually quite useable for simple stuff with some basic upgrades.

That said, if it's just for the hell of it, the transparent case on the slot loaders won't match your iBook as well as the frosted ones on the tray-loaders, so maybe you actually want the worse (and uglier--the "crystal" cases are far more attractive) computer.

Oh, and if you want to get technical the cases are exchangeable... it just requires totally dismantling the computer and putting the parts in a new case. SO not worth it. (Although if you had a Rev A-D slot-loader with a bum motherboard, it's easy to yank the guts out of another one (the whole thing slides out the back and transplant it.)

KingYaba
Aug 10, 2006, 03:46 PM
You can swap shells on those G3 iMacs. It's not hard. Just the colored plastic where the speakers and the audiojack inputs are will be hard.

steamboat26
Aug 10, 2006, 05:06 PM
Yeah but i think it would've been cooler if it had been like the changable faceplates on the 360 or something like that. You know, REALLY easy to change :D

ceruleanventure
Aug 10, 2006, 05:42 PM
Hey thanks for all the help. I always envied the original iMacs (without knowing what a "Mac" was) when I was a kid in grade school. Just for fun I bought a cheap tangerine ibook and am just looking for a tangerine iMac to complete my collection lol. Idk, I'm weird since I like collecting (inexpensive) things like this :D

applefan1997
Aug 10, 2006, 05:46 PM
Tangerine- an undesirable color. Tangerine and grape, actually. Apple should have never released a tangerine iBook after seeing how the iMacs sold (well actually, it's rumored that it was Job's favorite color) but still. Sell the tangerine, and get an Indigo(drool) iBook.

mark!
Aug 10, 2006, 06:34 PM
Would you like the slot loading tangerine or a tray loading tangerine? :cool:

EDIT: found a 333 MHz tangerine trayloading for less than $100 shipped. & a tray loading 350 MHz (100 MHz bus instead of 333 MHz like the trayloading, and has a clear case and allows airport cards...[im not sure about the 350 ones, but most tray loadings can]) for $125 shipped

333 MHz (http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMac-G3-333Mhz-M5521-Orange-Computer-Mac-cheap_W0QQitemZ330015912272QQihZ014QQcategoryZ80039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

350 MHz (http://cgi.ebay.com/IMAC-G3-PowerPC-TANGERINE-350-MHz-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ120017354490QQihZ002QQcategoryZ80039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

another 350 MHz (http://cgi.ebay.com/IMAC-G3-PowerPC-TANGERINE-350-MHz-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ120017354490QQihZ002QQcategoryZ80039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

edit: WTF @ them saying its a hella good gaming machine.

ceruleanventure
Aug 10, 2006, 07:08 PM
Yah, I have seen the few ebay has and all of the auctions look fishy. As a rule of thumb, I only purchase from auctions that have pics of the actual unit. What I want is some real live person selling a tangerine imac lol. Thanks for all the help though, I always wondered why I could find very few!

mark!
Aug 10, 2006, 07:11 PM
Well go make 21 more posts & then make a WTB (want to buy) thread in the market place :)

Most people here are very trustworthy with sales. You can pick up stuff cheaper.