PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best place to buy an Apple Mac in the UK?

Dreamkatcha
Mar 17, 2003, 02:43 PM
Howdy folks,

I'm teetering on the edge of switcherdom, but am getting frustrated by the lack of options offered by Apple. What I'd really like is a headless G3 so I can go and buy my own TFT monitor yet I've discovered that you can't buy them new. I like the iMac Snow because it's totally silent (I'm completely obsessed with silence because I suffer from tinnitus and computer noise makes it worse), but don't like the idea of buying a dated, small, curvy CRT monitor when there are now better alternatives available. I don't need anything as powerful as the new iMac as it's mainly just for web surfing, email, office apps and a bit of web design. I find it really annoying that a suped up iMac costs nearly as much as the all singing, all dancing LCD iMac. Someone in Apple's pricing department seriously needs to look at that if you ask me.

I know that the prices are pretty similar wherever you shop, but some shops try to better one another by offering extras. So my question is, where do I go to get the best deal in the UK? If I end up getting the old iMac despite my concerns I'd need a memory boost and possibly a CD-RW drive. Does anyone know of any shops which offer these as standard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

CrackedButter
Mar 17, 2003, 03:35 PM
Why not buy a laptop if your needs are simple and your want silence?

They come with a screen btw. ;)

caveman_uk
Mar 17, 2003, 04:02 PM
The AppleStore is just as cheap as anywhere else - at least for new stuff. Resellerwise - ghc and cancom seem to have a decent reputation. Have you thought about an emac? It's admittedly got a CRT not a TFT but I reckon it's a much better deal than the classic G3 imac.

Macs hold their value pretty well so for most things the old / refurb prices aren't a lot cheaper than new.

If you think a G3 imac would suit you - Why not an ibook 700Mhz. They're 799 IIRC. Get some more RAM though. Crucial is good stuff and cheap from their own website.

Falleron
Mar 17, 2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Dreamkatcha
Howdy folks,

I'm teetering on the edge of switcherdom, but am getting frustrated by the lack of options offered by Apple. What I'd really like is a headless G3 so I can go and buy my own TFT monitor yet I've discovered that you can't buy them new. I like the iMac Snow because it's totally silent (I'm completely obsessed with silence because I suffer from tinnitus and computer noise makes it worse), but don't like the idea of buying a dated, small, curvy CRT monitor when there are now better alternatives available. I don't need anything as powerful as the new iMac as it's mainly just for web surfing, email, office apps and a bit of web design. I find it really annoying that a suped up iMac costs nearly as much as the all singing, all dancing LCD iMac. Someone in Apple's pricing department seriously needs to look at that if you ask me.

I know that the prices are pretty similar wherever you shop, but some shops try to better one another by offering extras. So my question is, where do I go to get the best deal in the UK? If I end up getting the old iMac despite my concerns I'd need a memory boost and possibly a CD-RW drive. Does anyone know of any shops which offer these as standard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
Have you considered buying refurbished equipment from the apple store? You will be able to get up to about 40% off + you may able to get a decent machine that will last you. These machines may have minor cosmetic imperfections but still have a full guarantee. Maybe its a good source for you?

littlejim
Mar 17, 2003, 04:37 PM
I'd agree with CrackedButter - I've just got a 12" powerbook and they don't come any more silent - and it'll last you a *lot* longer than a snow imac or emac.

Have you tried the web design tools you intend to use on one of the iMac or eMac? If you can, go and do it. (what ... you don't have an Apple Retail Store near you in the UK ??!!) :)

Applestore are great - but a tad slow for 'in-stock' items.

I bought my powerbook from macwarehouse (http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk) as in the end as Applestore couldn't promise me better than 5 days delivery - MacWarehouse had in on my doorstep by 10am next day.
Not too sure about any deals they will give you - I was desperate for my machine so didn't push for anything.

caveman_uk
Mar 18, 2003, 03:07 AM
There are NO Apple stores in the UK - or as far as I know anywhere else outside of the USA. We have to rely on third party resellers to see a mac (and that ain't very often). The best place to view one of these rare beasts in London is probs MicroAnvika on Tottenham Court Road - though that does PCs too. You may see out-of-date / overpriced macs at PCWorld though....just don't buy one there.

caveman_uk
Mar 18, 2003, 03:09 AM
Have you tried the web design tools you intend to use on one of the iMac or eMac? If you can, go and do it. (what ... you don't have an Apple Retail Store near you in the UK ??!!)
I've just noticed your location...you're a Brit so that may be sarcasm;)

benjiP
Mar 18, 2003, 04:08 AM
Hi.

I'm glad you posted this as I'll be looking to switch to a 15" PowerBook when they're revised - and although I may end up buying from the Apple site (as they offer a student discount), Selfridges on Oxford Street also have a decent spread of technology downstairs... Hope that helps.

caveman_uk
Mar 18, 2003, 04:18 AM
John Lewis near Bond Street Tube have some macs (everything except 17" PB) on the fifth floor. I got my dual 1GHz Powermac from there in the clearance section. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow :D The assistant I dealt with there owned a mac himself (which is a novelty for UK stores)

Swinny
Mar 18, 2003, 04:19 AM
If you're serious about maybe getting an old machine, try www.shaye.co.uk

...can't see that any old "seperate" machine is going to be quieter than a new iMac - it's the second quietest computer I've ever used...after my iBook

CrackedButter
Mar 18, 2003, 06:09 AM
Harrods themselves also sell Apple hardware. Also Microwarehouse is a good place to get a mac but try the refurb store on a wednesday but go at around 5am since i tried last week at 6am and half the deals were already gone!

Cancom are also good place, try and get a UK mac magazine and its full of offers, the best one is called "Macworld", i've suscribed and its full of everything i need to know about macs and apple in general.

Dreamkatcha
Mar 18, 2003, 08:27 AM
Wow, thanks for the great response everyone. This is a busy forum. :)

I've considered the G3 iBook and have actually played with one in my local PC World and in Selfridges in the Trafford Centre (Manchester). You'd expect a 12" screen to be very cramped, but it isn't because it's capable of high resolutions. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the screen though - it was like trying to watch the TV with the sun shining directly on it or even like looking at a picture just below the surface of water. I tweaked the brightness and still couldn't make the screen any clearer or more comfortable to look at. I think that would very quickly send me insane. Aside from that I'd love an iBook. 799 is probably about my price limit so the 12" version would be fine except for my concerns about the quality of the screen. I could afford to spend more but can't really justify the expense to myself considering I could get by with a cheap, low end PC (if I didn't hate Windows so much that is).

I didn't know Apple themselves sold refurbs so I'll look into that. That Shaye store is new to me too, thanks for the link.

The only thing which puts me off getting an eMac is the noisy fan. Everyone has a different idea of what silent means - I've tried so called silent solutions with my PC and am still not satisfied. This time round I'm accepting nothing less than fanless, which really limits my options.

Would there be any point ordering a laptop from the US to cut the costs? I've just done a price comparison using a currency converter - the G3 iBook 700 costs 799 in the UK and only 638 in the US (both directly from Apple). Would there be extra import charges to pay?

caveman_uk
Mar 18, 2003, 08:47 AM
Yep, if you get caught importing an ibook you'll be charged VAT (17.5%) and import duty (2% IIRC) plus a charge to cover collection and admin. So a 638 ibook ends up at 762+. Also US customs are a bit twitchy at the moment apparently orders for stuff from the US are taking ages to get delivered overseas. I know I've got an order in customs at the moment... :mad:

So it's hardly worth the effort of buying it in the states. Also the powersupply will be the wrong voltage so you'll need a transformer or a new supply from Apple UK and I don't think they're that cheap.

The Apple refurb store is only open on Wednesdays (tomorrow) and what's there goes really fast so get up early. Also it's only for credit card orders.

The ibook screen is OK though it's not very bright when the ambient light is very bright and it has a narrow viewing angle. It does have a fan but it's really really quiet. I only notice it if there's nothing else on.

If you get one get some more RAM though - seriously ;) And if you think you might end up needing MS Office get it when you buy the ibook and save yourself 250

BTW, I didn't know there were this many UK mac owners in here!

kettle
Mar 18, 2003, 08:54 AM
I really like these people. Somewhere with a personal reputation at stake not just a corp. ID to hide behind.

Gordon Harwood Computers (http://www.ghc.co.uk/)

I keep going back there. Really good mail order too.:)

CrackedButter
Mar 18, 2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
BTW, I didn't know there were this many UK mac owners in here!

If you want you can have my ICQ number, along with anybody else from the UK.

@Dreamkatcha
If you do want to go to the refurb store on wednesday, you can actually ring this guy i know tonight instead, if you contact me i can give you the extension number to this (name withheld) guy who offered me a deal last week if i rang him late on tuesday night. But this is for refurbs only but it does mean you are first in the queue. I wanted and missed out on a deal and i could of saved myself 200 on an 12" iBook which would of costed me only 800, instead i couldn't wait and just ordered a normal one.

If interested then PM me or contact me here on 35115777 (ICQ). I'm not giving out the ext number here since he would have a huge load of calls to take and probably get in trouble.

iGav
Mar 18, 2003, 10:22 AM
There are NO Apple stores in the UK - or as far as I know anywhere else outside of the USA. We have to rely on third party resellers to see a mac (and that ain't very often). The best place to view one of these rare beasts in London is probs MicroAnvika on Tottenham Court Road - though that does PCs too. You may see out-of-date / overpriced macs at PCWorld though....just don't buy one there.

There's an Apple Store on New Oxford Street, London opposite Point 101 bar, just down from Argos..... true it's not the latest and greatest form of Apple Store...... but beggers can't be choosers.... :p

Dreamkatcha
Mar 18, 2003, 12:39 PM
I'll give shipping one from the US a miss then. Sounds like more hassle than it's worth. I wouldn't like to have to post it abroad if anything went wrong with it either.

Thanks for the offer CrackedButter, but I'm nowhere near making a decision yet. One minute I'm dead certain I want to get one system or the other and five minutes later I've had second thoughts.

CrackedButter
Mar 18, 2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Dreamkatcha
I'll give shipping one from the US a miss then. Sounds like more hassle than it's worth. I wouldn't like to have to post it abroad if anything went wrong with it either.

Thanks for the offer CrackedButter, but I'm nowhere near making a decision yet. One minute I'm dead certain I want to get one system or the other and five minutes later I've had second thoughts.

Thats how i felt but in the end i asked myself if i REALLY need it and will it be capable...i answered yes to both and just bought one.

robins2001
Dec 30, 2003, 07:42 AM
i have come accross a few decent apple sellers,

www.cwonline.co.uk seems ok,

i think ill be making my purchase through them because of there "buy now pay in 6 months" deal... you put at leat 10% down then pay off the rest in 6 months intrest free..perfect for me..they also do an educational discount :)

edesignuk
Dec 30, 2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by robins2001
i have come accross a few decent apple sellers,

www.cwonline.co.uk seems ok,

i think ill be making my purchase through them because of there "buy now pay in 6 months" deal... you put at leat 10% down then pay off the rest in 6 months intrest free..perfect for me..they also do an educational discount :)
That's where I bought my QuickSilver from, at that 6 month thing is the reason why I chose them ;)

Wes
Dec 30, 2003, 08:52 AM

So it's hardly worth the effort of buying it in the states. Also the powersupply will be the wrong voltage so you'll need a transformer or a new supply from Apple UK and I don't think they're that cheap.

The Apple Powersupplies on laptops are clever and detect the voltage and switch to it. (Having lived in the UK and Saudi Arabia (110) that was pretty handy.) It's not worth it, but all he'd need is a small plug changer.

boskie
Dec 30, 2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
There's an Apple Store on New Oxford Street, London opposite Point 101 bar, just down from Argos..... true it's not the latest and greatest form of Apple Store...... but beggers can't be choosers.... :p

It's actually called Square Group http://www.squaregroup.co.uk/ and that's where i bought my TiBook from - good, friendly, reliable and they're Certified Apple repair centre.

Felix_the_Mac
Dec 30, 2003, 06:37 PM
I got mine from John Lewis.
You get 2 years warranty as standard and you can upgrade to 5 years for the same price as 3 years of AppleCare.

Wes
Dec 30, 2003, 08:21 PM
I got mine from John Lewis too, I get 12.5% off macs at that place :).

andym172
Dec 30, 2003, 08:51 PM
Don't buy from the Apple Store - their aftersales customer support is appalling! :mad:

MacWarehouse have been excellent when I've dealt with them, and John Lewis have always been pretty good too! :)

Good luck!

Dreamkatcha
May 6, 2004, 01:56 PM
Hi,

'Tis only moi again. If you'll all form an orderly queue and have your 'told you sos' at the ready I'll begin telling you the brief version of the story of how I decided not to buy a Mac afterall and have regretted it ever since. After all this time I've come back full circle and am ready to really make the switch... no honestly I'm going to do it. :D

Since starting this thread I bought another PC... the motherboard malfunctioned and had to be returned, as did the hard drive and the PSU. I could write a book about all the headaches that ensued from trying to buy a compact, quiet PC and the hassle I've had dealing with incompetent PC hardware e-tailers, but I don't want to send you all to sleep.

Anyway I sold my PC yesterday for a fraction of what I paid, which was another disappointment in itself, but I'm glad I'm shut of it. Credit card at the ready, today I visited CW Online and was about to buy a G4 iBook when I noticed that they won't ship to an address different to the one associated with your card (I wanted to have it delivered to my work place since I won't be around to take delivery at home). Anyway I checked at John Lewis and the price is only 2 more, so assuming they have stock I'll go and pick one up in person over the next couple of days.

I have a 15" LCD monitor I plan to hook up to it as well as an external Explorer USB mouse. I was just wondering, what makes a keyboard compatible with a Mac? Is it just a matter of it having a USB connection? I was hoping to be able to use my Logitech 'Deluxe Access Keyboard' you see, but the box doesn't make any mention of the Mac OS.

I'm hoping to move to the other end of the country soon - it'll be so liberating to just pick up a tiny laptop and some clothes and have everything I need to start a new life. Can't wait! :cool:

Wes
May 6, 2004, 02:13 PM
I have a 15" LCD monitor I plan to hook up to it as well as an external Explorer USB mouse. I was just wondering, what makes a keyboard compatible with a Mac? Is it just a matter of it having a USB connection? I was hoping to be able to use my Logitech 'Deluxe Access Keyboard' you see, but the box doesn't make any mention of the Mac OS.

As long as it a standard USB keyboard it will work. Most Logitech producst usually have a little Mac sticker on them. You could always give them a buzz first. I always buy my computers from John Lewis, free 2 year warranty, and I get 12.5% off because of connections there.

CrackedButter
May 6, 2004, 02:42 PM
WOW!

How old is this thread? I didn't realise i gave out such rational advice! I forgot I helped you out as well, i thought somebody had my ID and was posting replies!

Sorry to hear of your pc troubles and i hope you get a deal on the mac, the iBooks screen has been updated I think as well, better than last time.

Dreamkatcha
May 7, 2004, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the advice. I searched the box thoroughly again, but can't find anything relating to it being Mac compatible. Oh well, I've already got the keyboard so there's nothing lost if it doesn't work. I'll just have to give it a go when I get my new toy. 12.5% of 699 is a very nice saving. Any chance I could body-snatch you for a few minutes while I make my purchase? :D

I know, it came as a blast from the past for me too. I was Googling for iBook info again when I came across my own post. I didn't look at my username to begin with, I just started reading the thread. It sounded so much like someone I know - I glanced over at the username and did a double-take. Thanks for the original advice - see, it wasn't wasted in the end. :)

Because I'm going to be really busy organising a birthday party tomorrow I decided to bring my parcelled up PC into work today so I could take it to the post office at lunchtime. So if you saw some idiot trying to walk a 2 mile journey through Manchester this morning carrying an enormous box, that was me. I arrived, eventually, and when I tried to take my headphones out of my ears I missed by about a foot because my arms were so numb I'd lost all coordination. I won't be doing that again in a hurry. :eek:

toontra
May 7, 2004, 03:48 AM
Don't buy from the Apple Store - their aftersales customer support is appalling! :mad:

I have to agree with this. The "Apple Store" (or Squaregroup as it actually is) is staffed by people without a clue. I was once assured, repeatedly, that a dual PM 1.42 would boot into OS9, an this was after the grunt checked with his boss in the back office. If I hadn't known better, and had the money there and then, I would have been stuffed!

I now buy all my gear from these guys: http://www.mrsystems.co.uk/

They handle many warranty repairs for Apple UK, so any probs and your comp would likely end up here anyway, so why not cut out the middle man!

They also have the advantage of being 200 yards from my door!

Dreamkatcha
May 10, 2004, 05:54 AM
Another link to bookmark, thanks.

I went into Selfridges to pick up my new iBook on Friday, but they had sold out of the G4 800 model I wanted. They now only sell the new 1Ghz version. Does anyone know how big the difference in noise is likely to be? Should I shop around for the slower model or just get the 1Ghz? It would be really annoying to have to get it mail order when I have two Selfridges practically on the door step (one a 20 minute walk from where I work and another one about 30 minutes away from home).

Abstract
May 10, 2004, 08:16 AM
I can guarantee you that the processor makes no noise. :p

Get the 1GHz. You're getting a better computer for the same or similar price, you goof. Take the deal and run! ;)

And make sure you buy RAM! www.crucial.com. I can't stress that enough. Oh, and maybe buy a security cable as well, maybe the small one from Kensington. I had a friend come into my room and tried to steal my 12" PB and hide it under my bed as a practical joke. He later told me, but said he couldn't do it because of the damn security cable he didn't notice before. Sha-weet!! :p

Actually, there wouldn't be a voltage problem. I'm Canadian, and I'm typing this from Australia (240-250V) as we speak. The only issue is with the actual plugs (ie: the prongs) themselves, as the UK uses 2 thicker prongs, while in the US/Canada, they use 2 thin, flat prongs. Apple only makes one type of power adaptor for the 12" iBook for the entire world, and makes the prongs interchangeable. All Apple does is give you UK prongs. That is essentially the idea behind using the Apple World Travel Kit......replaceable prongs.

MemphisSoulStew
May 10, 2004, 08:39 AM
I'd like to also recommend MR Systems - I've got a new eMac on the way from them, and they have some highly skilled engineers if anything goes wrong with your machine. Apple do indeed send warranty work direct to them, even for Macs not bought from there.

Can I also add that the warranty on portables is international, so not only can you use a US bought iBook or PBook in the UK without worrying about the voltage, but your machine will still have a valid warranty for a year. Desktops warranties are local to the country the machine was bought in. I investigated all this stuff because I'm going on holiday to Florida in a couple of weeks time, and there's a 12" Combo Drive PB with my name on it in the Tampa Apple Store (there really should be a salivating Smilie). At current exchange rates it works out to around 900, plus local sales tax, so I'll be saving about 200 over UK prices. I wouldn't bother buying a laptop mail order from the US, as I'll get stung for import duties and VAT ... I'm just hoping UK customs don't ask me how long I've had the PB when I come home.

Dreamkatcha
May 10, 2004, 08:51 AM
OK, thanks for the reassurance. I'll see if I can pick one up on my way home. Here in the UK the price difference between the 0.8Ghz and 1Ghz models is 100 (700 vs 800) so it is quite a big jump. So nurrr! :p At some places (like PC World or eBuyer) you can pay more for the older model than you would the newer one at a more reasonably priced shop. Don't these people look at the competition, lol.

I decided to give the international orders a miss - it's more hassle and worry than I need. If I get one from John Lewis/Selfridges/Micro Anvika it will be effortless to take it back if anything goes wrong.

MemphisSoulStew
May 10, 2004, 09:46 AM
My local PC World is hopeless at stocking new models. They had G3 iBooks on display for months after Apple discontinued them. Also they don't think they'll be getting the recently upgraded eMacs and laptops for quite a while, but they still continue to sell the old models at the old higher prices - they could at least drop the prices of the old ones. Any unwary punter shopping for a Mac is going to get ripped off. The only thing in their favour is they usually offer 12 months interest free credit.

Don't forget that John Lewis offers a free 2 year warranty, rather than the standard 1 year from Apple, and their sales staff are generally very good at customer care. They'd be my second choice after MR Systems. BTW The Selfridges Mac department is a concession run by Micro Anvika.

mouchoir
May 10, 2004, 10:23 AM
'So it's hardly worth the effort of buying it in the states. Also the powersupply will be the wrong voltage so you'll need a transformer or a new supply from Apple UK and I don't think they're that cheap.'

I got my 15" albook from the US and switched the removeable US plug on the power supply to a UK plug (didn't think to check voltage) and it works fine.

Dreamkatcha
May 12, 2004, 03:06 PM
*drum roll, clash of symbols*

I bought it on Monday and this is my first ever post using the new iBook! I'm over the moon on the whole - the OS is an absolute joy to use and best of all the laptop is completely silent. I never thought I'd be able to use a modern computer again without drowning out the noise with the TV or music. Even those supposedly passive Mini-ITX systems can't compete with this level of tranquility. I've sussed out all the basic functions, have connected to the net (obviously) and managed to get my external USB hard drive, mouse and monitor working effortlessly. Now I just need to find some decent freeware alternatives for my PC software. A decent WYSIWYG HTML editor is a top priority so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

The bad - some idiot has been fraudulently using my credit card so I had to spend ages twiddling my thumbs in Selfridges while they authorised the transaction - a block had been put on the card until the matter was cleared up. The staff eyed me very suspiciously for a while there and said very little to reassure me that they didn't think I was a CC thief. Not a comfortable experience.

I found out that the reason my keyboard doesn't say it's Mac compatible on the box is that it only has a ps/2 connector. I bought a converter from Maplin today, but it doesn't work - looks like I'll either need one of those more sophisticated adapters or a proper USB keyboard then. I don't want to use the built in keyboard all the time for fear of wear and tear. I'm never going to use the system outside the house so it makes sense to convert it to a desktop. If these adapters cost roughly 15 I think I may as well go for a new keyboard.

I didn't get any extra RAM and you're right, OSX is quite sluggish without it. Even so I'm not too concerned. I'll happily sacrifice speed for silence. I'll probably upgrade the RAM one day but it's not a priority.

After using the mouse acceleration in Windows, the pointer in OSX feels very unresponsive. Is there any way to improve this? Also does the iBook keyboard have a key which deletes to the right as well as the left?

The built-in screen seems much more translucent compared with my 15" Iiyama LCD. I think my eyes would be very sore after extended periods of use.

Yes, I noticed the same thing re: PC World - they're now selling the iBook G4 800 at a discount of 100, making it 50 more expensive than the same model at John Lewis!

This is the latest, ecstatic new Apple convert signing off for the night. I'm actually looking forward to delving into the manual when I get a chance. That can't be natural, lol.

MemphisSoulStew
May 13, 2004, 10:32 AM
Congratulations!

"After using the mouse acceleration in Windows, the pointer in OSX feels very unresponsive. Is there any way to improve this? "

Are you using the Trackpad or a mouse? Either way open System Preferences and click on Keyboard & Mouse; click on the Mouse or Trackpad tab and adjust your Tracking Speed (and Double-Click Speed if you want.)

"Also does the iBook keyboard have a key which deletes to the right as well as the left?"

On the bottom left of the keyboard is the Function key. Press this + the delete key to delete forward/to the right.

I'm actually looking forward to delving into the manual when I get a chance. That can't be natural, lol.

If you haven't already got it I'd recommend David Pogue's OS X Missing Manual, Panther edition. It looks quite daunting, as it's a huge book, but it's very readable, easy to navigate, tells you all you need to know, and you'll probably find yourself reading it while you're not in front of your machine and wanting to try stuff out immediately.

Dreamkatcha
May 13, 2004, 01:36 PM
I'm using an external mouse. I managed to find the speed settings prior to asking my questions though moving the slider to the far right didn't make a great deal of difference. I probably just need to re-adjust to the difference in movement. In Windows, using the acceleration, I was able to move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other by moving the mouse a fraction of an inch at a time. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to live with it.

Thanks for the deletion tip. I hadn't realised how much I relied on that until I couldn't find out how to do it.

I'll check out the Missing Manual next time I'm in PC World. Sounds like it might come in handy. I get the impression that OSX hides a lot of settings and features well below the surface to make it appeal to newbies, but has much more to offer than a first glance would suggest.

I think I was a bit hasty in judging the screen quality. I've pushed it further back tonight and the colours seem much more solid. I should have known it's all about the angle - I was too nervous of forcing it back yesterday in case I damaged it. Not that I'm obsessed about keeping things pristine you understand. ;)

I've installed the Mozilla suite and I think composer will be fine for my web design needs. Dreamweaver is too bloated and clunky IMO.

captain kirk
May 13, 2004, 02:33 PM
Hi,

glad you got your ibook and are pleased with it, btw which selfridges/micro anvika store did you buy it from.

Dreamkatcha
May 14, 2004, 09:37 AM
I got it from the Selfridges store in Exchange Square. The computer section is hidden away on the third floor... or is it the fourth? That place is like one huge catwalk - they only employ supermodels and the customers themselves are straight from the set of some glossy, plastic, US teen drama. Anyway there was a bit of confusion re: my credit card. The salesman said something about me needing to get it sorted out. I assumed he meant I needed to replace it because it was cracked. I said I know and had been meaning to get round to it. More likely he was talking about getting the transfer block removed, but it was very ambiguous.

I've since had the credit card cancelled and am awaiting a new one. Someone has been using it (well the account anyway) to make payments to Canada, the US, UK and Hong Kong. Luckily I'm covered against fraud and will be able to claim the money back. I'd really like to know how this is possible. I'm almost certain no-one I know is responsible. I'm guessing that someone has been able to gain access to one of my online accounts where I've submitted CC details because they'd need more than the account number to use the card. I don't suppose the anti-fraud people will reveal the details so it could happen again with a new card if this is how they got access to my account.

James Farnham
May 14, 2004, 01:17 PM
My local PC World is hopeless at stocking new models. They had G3 iBooks on display for months after Apple discontinued them. Also they don't think they'll be getting the recently upgraded eMacs and laptops for quite a while, but they still continue to sell the old models at the old higher prices - they could at least drop the prices of the old ones. Any unwary punter shopping for a Mac is going to get ripped off. The only thing in their favour is they usually offer 12 months interest free credit.

Don't forget that John Lewis offers a free 2 year warranty, rather than the standard 1 year from Apple, and their sales staff are generally very good at customer care. They'd be my second choice after MR Systems. BTW The Selfridges Mac department is a concession run by Micro Anvika.

I work at a PC World in Bath, and the day the upgrades were announced I marked down the prices myself and sold the demo models to stay competitive with the Apple store. Also, from about two weeks after the release, they were available through the business centre for next day delivery. People got some damn good deals outta that, we're pretty good here in Bath ;)

MemphisSoulStew
May 14, 2004, 05:08 PM
I work at a PC World in Bath, and the day the upgrades were announced I marked down the prices myself and sold the demo models to stay competitive with the Apple store. Also, from about two weeks after the release, they were available through the business centre for next day delivery. People got some damn good deals outta that, we're pretty good here in Bath ;)

Sorry James, I didn't mean to imply they were all like that. My local branch doesn't have a full time Mac salesman, although the two-afternoons-a-week part timer knows what he's doing. The nearest large branch is Brentford, but even they don't seem to have a full timer, and they are slow at marking down old stock. I've actually bought 3 machines from PC World branches - 2 CRT iMacs and a G3 iBook - but I've yet to meet a full time PC World salesman that was familiar with the Apple stock. Do you fancy moving to west London? ;)

Where is PC World in Bath? I used to live there, and I was down there for a weekend last month, but didn't notice the store.

captain kirk
May 15, 2004, 04:19 AM
Sorry James, I didn't mean to imply they were all like that. My local branch doesn't have a full time Mac salesman, although the two-afternoons-a-week part timer knows what he's doing. The nearest large branch is Brentford, but even they don't seem to have a full timer, and they are slow at marking down old stock. I've actually bought 3 machines from PC World branches - 2 CRT iMacs and a G3 iBook - but I've yet to meet a full time PC World salesman that was familiar with the Apple stock. Do you fancy moving to west London? ;)

Where is PC World in Bath? I used to live there, and I was down there for a weekend last month, but didn't notice the store.

Hi, I thought this may interest you.

http://www.apple.com/uk/buy/msc/