PDA

View Full Version : my unfinished ipod phone mockup

virus1
Aug 10, 2006, 05:11 PM
i have been working on it all last night and the majority of today, but i think it is in a showable form now. it is still far from finished.

stuff to be done/ fixed:
- ui screenshot other than apple logo
- fix speaker/mic graphics
- a few photorealistic elements
- lettering under the numbers

other than that, i am open to critique. i plan on submitting this in the ilounge contest.

i painstakingly made every element of this by scratch, no bitmaps. so i have this file up in rediculus high resolutions.

DJMastaWes
Aug 10, 2006, 05:14 PM
That's quiet neat. I don't know how wel the numbers would work in the way they are set up, but they sure do look cool! Nice job.

A lot of people think the iPhone will look alot like an iPod, I think that a lot of the mock ups are quiet un realistic, but cool.

nbs2
Aug 10, 2006, 05:36 PM
That's quiet neat. I don't know how wel the numbers would work in the way they are set up, but they sure do look cool!
Nokia had a model with a button layout that was similar a few years back.

I like the mockup - has a touch of nostalgia to the rotary phone era...

zane
Aug 10, 2006, 05:38 PM
Im almost positive the iphone will be a slider so that the keypad and the click wheel do not interfere.

virus1
Aug 10, 2006, 05:41 PM
That's quiet neat. I don't know how wel the numbers would work in the way they are set up, but they sure do look cool! Nice job.

A lot of people think the iPhone will look alot like an iPod, I think that a lot of the mock ups are quiet un realistic, but cool.
how don't you think it would work? i think that it might be a bit different, but if this was really supposed to be a ipod (portable media player) + phone, instead of an iphone, it is the only way to go, because the click wheel is pretty much needed for an ipod, plus you get to keep the ui, instead of designing a new one.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 10, 2006, 06:01 PM
how don't you think it would work? i think that it might be a bit different, but if this was really supposed to be a ipod (portable media player) + phone, instead of an iphone, it is the only way to go, because the click wheel is pretty much needed for an ipod, plus you get to keep the ui, instead of designing a new one.

How would you text people? You really can't overlook texting - it's a HUGE phenomenon at the moment, especially with teenagers.

beatsme
Aug 10, 2006, 06:19 PM
How would you text people? You really can't overlook texting - it's a HUGE phenomenon at the moment, especially with teenagers.

good point...

I still have the gravest doubts about the iPhone. It's a neat idea, but in my mind the power requirements/battery life make it prohibitive. And combo devices typically don't do either thing very well, though I'm sure if it could be managed Apple would find a way.

and then there's the cost. Is there any way this thing would retail for less than $350 USD? Would anyone pay that much for it? Personally, I wouldn't...but that's just me.

anyway, just my opinion

virus1
Aug 10, 2006, 06:20 PM
like i said in the op, i still need to put in the letters.

faustfire
Aug 10, 2006, 08:55 PM
good point...

I still have the gravest doubts about the iPhone. It's a neat idea, but in my mind the power requirements/battery life make it prohibitive. And combo devices typically don't do either thing very well, though I'm sure if it could be managed Apple would find a way.

and then there's the cost. Is there any way this thing would retail for less than $350 USD? Would anyone pay that much for it? Personally, I wouldn't...but that's just me.

anyway, just my opinion

Its almost embarrassing to say, but I would probably drop 350 to 400 on an iphone if it had all the features of the video ipod, and also pretty robust address book/ical integration. A camera would be nice as well, but I don't want to get greedy.:)

ejb190
Aug 10, 2006, 09:40 PM
Not a bad start. I'm not sure about the circular arrangement on the buttons, but most of the time I am using speed dials anyway.

If Apple comes out with a phone, I am not sure it's MP3 capability will be anything more then the Motorola phones already out there. What I do expect is a user interface that will blow everyone else out of the water. The UI is my biggest gripe about most phones (and most digital devices, for that matter). You have to go through 5 menus to get to the feature you want, the button setup makes no sense, or the menus are 15 items long and 6 deep.

My dad has a yeild moniter in his combine. All the functions are controlled by a combination of toggle switches. Three seasons and I STILL can't keep which combination of switchs does what straight. And the display is so confusing that I am never really sure what the thing is trying to tell me.

dextertangocci
Aug 11, 2006, 12:32 AM
I'm seriously starting to doubt Apple will even release an iPhone:(

JRM PowerPod
Aug 11, 2006, 12:41 AM
I'm seriously starting to doubt Apple will even release an iPhone:(

Have a look on Appleinsider, they are claiming its pretty much ready to roll, and steve has been bragging about it

Mammoth
Aug 11, 2006, 05:47 PM
I revolt texting. And I'm a teenager. Why? Cost, hard to use, slow, better off using IM on a smartphone. :mad:

GFLPraxis
Aug 11, 2006, 08:06 PM
Looks horrible for texting.

And I, too, am a teenager that hates texting. My sister, on the same plan, uses 6000 text messages a month, however.
We have a shared plan with unlimited messaging.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 11, 2006, 08:51 PM
Looks horrible for texting.

And I, too, am a teenager that hates texting. My sister, on the same plan, uses 6000 text messages a month, however.
We have a shared plan with unlimited messaging.

I'm not big on texting either - but it is a huge phenomenon, and GFLPraxis is right. Regardless of whether you "add in the letters", this phone would be awful for texting, as it's a completely different keypad to get used to (and an inefficient one to get used to at that)...

Mammoth
Aug 13, 2006, 12:36 AM
Texting could be controlled with a touch screen.. ;)