PDA

View Full Version : Collection Storage

Ensign Paris
Feb 17, 2002, 01:01 PM
Hi

Where abouts do you store your collection of macs? Mine used to be under my bed (double) but now I think I am going to put them in the loft!

Ensign

Ensign Paris
Feb 17, 2002, 01:17 PM
Also, what do you do when you get a new mac? I personally just chuck it in with my collection after putting it in my database.

I have now decided to rebuild and refurbish all the machines to their original condition!

Ensign

mymemory
Feb 17, 2002, 03:13 PM
I do not know why people in the US keep everything is storage. If I get a new computer I sell the old one but I can not imagine my room with 5 computers now or 15 syntetizers, I hardly have room for what I got know.

I know the people in the US have more money or less nedd to sell things. May be because the 2nd hand things lost the value so quickly while here can cost may be more (just because we have pruved is good quality).

Wird no?

blakespot
Mar 8, 2002, 10:02 AM
Here is a link (http://www.blakespot.com/list/images/clutter.avi) to a quick test-movie of my cluttered computer room where the collection lives. Untidy presently...

blakespot

eyelikeart
Mar 8, 2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by blakespot
Here is a link (http://www.blakespot.com/list/images/clutter.avi) to a quick test-movie of my cluttered computer room where the collection lives. Untidy presently...

blakespot

my god! that reminded me of the Matrix.....Neo's place...

krossfyter
Mar 14, 2002, 08:53 AM
dude that takes forever to load. i still havent been able to pick it up.

:D

blakespot
Mar 14, 2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

my god! that reminded me of the Matrix.....Neo's place...

Thank you.

blakespot

grrr223
Mar 14, 2002, 02:12 PM
I think that may be the first .avi movie I've ever successfully played through quicktime without "doctoring" it first. Yay

me hate windows
Mar 14, 2002, 04:18 PM

blakespot
And I thought mine was bad:rolleyes:

Hemingray
Mar 31, 2002, 10:53 PM

blakespot

I love it. :D If only I had enough room to do something like that. I've got a dozen (at least) macs out in storage. Since I only have one room at this point, I couldn't do that. I'd go nuts. But someday when I have my own place, I'll reserve a room just for computers and music stuff.

Beej
Mar 31, 2002, 11:15 PM
Blakespot - he he! Sensational! :D

Mine are in the corner of my room, and under my bed.

blakespot
Apr 1, 2002, 06:08 AM
If only my wife thought as much.

blakespot

teabgs
Apr 1, 2002, 07:59 AM
I have two on my desk. One that I am on, and one that I found on the street if ya'll remember...it doesnt work yet. HOWEVER, I did start it up with an external drive. So when I actually go out and buy a small SCSI drive and put it in it'll be back in business.

I also have another (6230) that's at my grandparents house (I gave it to them when I got a new one but then they bought a Cube and are holding it for me). I may acquire an SE and a 2GS, dont know where to put those. ALso, I'm getting a new tower this summer. I will probably only keep the new Tower with me at school next year after I transfer the files. We'll see.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 1, 2002, 09:06 AM

Oh my!

You ever blow a circuit?

blakespot
Apr 1, 2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Oh my!

You ever blow a circuit?
Nope---but then I don't think I've ever turned them all on at the same time. There's a much neater version of that room in a QuickTime VR movie at http://www.blakespot.com/list (bottom of page). Have a look.

blakespot

blakespot
Apr 1, 2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
I may acquire an SE and a 2GS, dont know where to put those. ALso, I'm getting a new tower this summer. I will probably only keep the new Tower with me at school next year after I transfer the files. We'll see.
The IIgs is a fine machine to have. I get a decent amount of nostalgic use out of the unit. I got my first IIgs back in '87. But then I had a //c in '84. Not sure if I would get _that_ much out of it had I not made so many memories on the Apple II line. Inferior to the C64 and Atari 8-bit's in graphics and sound (the IIe and //c that is)---but definitely had more style than either.

blakespot

me hate windows
Apr 1, 2002, 02:22 PM
Blakespot, did you sell you B&W G3 or do you still have it?

Mr. Anderson
Apr 1, 2002, 02:31 PM
Blakespot, with all those machines, which one do you use most frequently? I've got my old machine in a closet, and when I get a new machine, I really have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I can't see having more than a couple (desktop and laptop) myself. Doing cross platform web design could require a few more machines, but I also need deskspace to work on.

I love the quicktimeVR, and you can't even see if there are any socks under the desk. :D Where in Alexandria do you live, I'm over in the SE 6 blocks from the river, but I used to live on Duke St. (obvious) right at the intersection of Duke and Henry. I don't miss the sirens....

blakespot
Apr 1, 2002, 07:11 PM
I don't buy machines (well, other than handhelds maybe) that I don't intend to setup for use occasionally. Nostlagia trip, etc. So, there's no real "storage" aside from on this desk (tho I had to build a desk (http://www.blakespot.com/desk) to accomodate.

I live on West St. near Queen. I can often be found at VBC, Murphy's or Pat Troy's (once Ireland's Own).

blakespot

Hemingray
Apr 1, 2002, 09:33 PM
Dear Lord what I wouldn't give to have a desk that big... but as I said before, all's a moot point until I get my own place! :(

blakespot
Apr 1, 2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Dear Lord what I wouldn't give to have a desk that big... but as I said before, all's a moot point until I get my own place! :(
As I recall my wife was not so pleased about my taking a week of evenings to construct that desk. It is nice to have the surface space tho. Too many machines. We are going to, in 4 years or so, expand this house and when we do the machine room will be expanded as well. Should be fine.

blakespot

eyelikeart
Apr 4, 2002, 02:51 PM

As I recall my wife was not so pleased about my taking a week of evenings to construct that desk. It is nice to have the surface space tho. Too many machines. We are going to, in 4 years or so, expand this house and when we do the machine room will be expanded as well. Should be fine.

blakespot

damn...I've heard of building additions for home improvement....but not for computer space...he he he...:p

blakespot
Apr 4, 2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

damn...I've heard of building additions for home improvement....but not for computer space...he he he...:p
Shhhh... My wife might hear you.

blakespot

eyelikeart
Apr 5, 2002, 09:34 AM
that is quite impressive though...

I'm currently using my drawing table from my illustration days as a desk for my TiBook and all it's goodies...no pics of it...quite boring and all...

but if I ever get my Macintosh 128 & a Cube...maybe I'll get into carpentry...he he he :p

blakespot
Apr 5, 2002, 10:11 AM
The thing is just overloaded right now. I have a movie of that room in terrible dissarray. Have an AVI (that will play on Macs) (http://www.blakespot.com/list/images/clutter.avi) of the room in utter dissarray. I've tidied it up a bit---but the Mac Plus is not even in the movie (taken about 6 weeks ago). Anyway...

blakespot

Ensign Paris
Apr 5, 2002, 10:18 AM
Yep, that is a bit of a mess, this is my desk:

http://www.brooklineuk.com/desk.jpg

Ensign

Mr. Anderson
Apr 5, 2002, 10:23 AM
You definitely need more space, that's for sure. Your 4 year plan to expand sounds good, but we're just adding a bathroom in the basement (my media lab) and that's going to run almost $20k. Old Town isn't the area for cheap additions. How much room do you have to expand? We're kind of tight, but we're thinking of putting on an addition out the back, redo the kitchen adding a living area off the back and expanding the bedroom (2 story addition). Neighbors across the street did that and spent $250k - but they had more room and made choices that I wouldn't have (he wired his house with rj45 and was all proud of it - I couldn't tell him that he should have gone wireless:D , it would have killed him).

I'll have to go take a couple of pics and post them, I don't have the clutter, and only 3 machines, but its a nice space.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 5, 2002, 05:18 PM
I went and took some pics of my 'mediaLab' at home, here's the link. Sorry there's some distortion in the image, had to piece 3 shots together.

http://www.dukestreet.com/mediaLab.jpg

eyelikeart
Apr 5, 2002, 05:46 PM
I went and took some pics of my 'mediaLab' at home, here's the link. Sorry there's some distortion in the image, had to piece 3 shots together.

that is so cool!!

u know I painted my bedroom walls that same blue color a few years ago...he he he...:p

Mr. Anderson
Apr 5, 2002, 05:58 PM
I'm glad you like it. We were going to paint the ceiling that blue, but its just a little too low, so the one wall and the inside of the closet door got a few coats of paint. I love the lights which I got at Ikea.

All this is going to change, because we have to unload the storage section of the basement for the new bathroom, and I'll have to disassemble the draft table:( and store all the crap in the left hand corner. Hopefully it won't be that long of an inconvenience.

kishba
Apr 5, 2002, 06:06 PM
after seeing all this i think i'm going to rework the "design" of my room

it's really silly right now but i think i could easily improve

hey can anyone else show off their setups? (i enjoy looking at them so i can get ideas of how to setup mine)

blakespot
Apr 5, 2002, 09:57 PM

VERY impressive. More style than I've got going up here. Basement, I presume?? Good show--I am envious.

blakespot

blakespot
Apr 5, 2002, 09:58 PM
I'm glad you like it. We were going to paint the ceiling that blue, but its just a little too low, so the one wall and the inside of the closet door got a few coats of paint. I love the lights which I got at Ikea.

All this is going to change, because we have to unload the storage section of the basement for the new bathroom, and I'll have to disassemble the draft table:( and store all the crap in the left hand corner. Hopefully it won't be that long of an inconvenience.
Our house is IKEA land. To be sure. Just 12 miles down 95!

blakespot

MacAztec
Apr 5, 2002, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dukestreet
(he wired his house with rj45 and was all proud of it - I couldn't tell him that he should have gone wireless:D , it would have killed him) [/QUOTE

So did I! It may have been more work, but it is a hell of a lot quicker when transferring files!

MacAztec
Apr 5, 2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by kishba
after seeing all this i think i'm going to rework the "design" of my room

it's really silly right now but i think i could easily improve

hey can anyone else show off their setups? (i enjoy looking at them so i can get ideas of how to setup mine)

Hmmm...I would..I WILL...but I will have to edit the movie since we have the computers in every room. We have a computer in every room, plus I have 5 in the storage! I am to lazy to make a movie now, so here it is!

1X G4 500 Server (not working as one) with an Apple 17in MultiScan Display
1X G4 400 AGP with an 18.1in Princeton LCD
2X G3 233MHz iMac
1X G3 333MHz iMac
1X G3 400MHz SE iMac
1X G3 500MHz FireWire Pismo Laptop
And, in storage...

2X Mac Performa 6116CD
1X Mac IIsi
1X Mac 7200/90
And a few old monitors. I will make a little movie later on.

I have one question for you guys. I dont think that this server will hold like a 3MB movie, and I dont have a server, so...where can I put it?

MacAztec
Apr 5, 2002, 11:45 PM
Blah

Beej
Apr 6, 2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by MacAztec
<snip>
And, in storage...

2X Mac Performa 6116CD
1X Mac IIsi
1X Mac 7200/90
And a few old monitors. I will make a little movie later on.

I have one question for you guys. I dont think that this server will hold like a 3MB movie, and I dont have a server, so...where can I put it? I had a 7200. I ripped it to pieces. Never really like that machine...

You can store your movie on your iDisk.

MacAztec
Apr 6, 2002, 12:50 AM
You are a genius! WooHoo!! But, how do I save it as a link? I know you all can connect to my iDisk and get it, but I dont have a homepage. Every time I try to make one, it never works. I will try it again, but first, I am goin to make the movie...

buffsldr
Apr 6, 2002, 01:34 AM

That is one dope media lab. Where did you get those blue light covers??? I would love a room like that. I might never leave it.

Nipsy
Apr 6, 2002, 05:55 AM
Not sure if I posted this at MacRumors or not, but here's my humble hovel...thank god for KVMs

Desk (http://homepage.mac.com/imnothim/images/Desk.jpg)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 6, 2002, 09:43 AM
Basement, I presume??

Yep, its the basement. I'm actually glad I took pics yesterday, I have to disassmeble the drafting table this week end, I'm going to miss it for a couple of months. When we rearrange the basement after the installing the new bathroom, I'll be redoing some of the media lab. It might require some more trips to Ikea. :D

The wife wants to make it a tv room too, until we get the other addition started (3 year plan on that ourselves). This will require some negotiation, because a couch in the room might be a tight fit with the drafting table. I'm loath to give that up, just yet.

So I'm curious to see more setups, post 'em if you've got 'em:cool:

Mr. Anderson
Apr 6, 2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by buffsldr

That is one dope media lab. Where did you get those blue light covers??? I would love a room like that. I might never leave it.

I don't leave it too often, and once the bathroom is in the basement, well that solves that problem.

I've attached another pic of just the blue lights, I picked them up a Ikea, they are awesome. Low wattage, not too bright, halogen bulbs. It reallly works well with the monitors. And they come with 4 different color shades, white, yellow, orange and blue.

The other blue light it is a rocket ship accent light I picked up at a store in Old Town.

The installation was a snap, did it in about an hour.

blakespot
Apr 6, 2002, 05:55 PM
One hour to setup those lights on the string? I quite like that style of light. I would assume it would be a huge pain to get them strungup. Did you not have to wire it behind the wallboard, etc?

My guess is you got that rocket light at that store in the bottom of the Torpedo Factory or at Artcraft on King St. ?

blakespot

mymemory
Apr 6, 2002, 09:35 PM
Wow, very nice room! Mine was something like that for the first two days after I build it, then became a mess.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 6, 2002, 10:16 PM
One hour to setup those lights on the string? I quite like that style of light. I would assume it would be a huge pain to get them strungup. Did you not have to wire it behind the wallboard, etc?

My guess is you got that rocket light at that store in the bottom of the Torpedo Factory or at Artcraft on King St. ?

It was all in the kit from Ikea, use drywall anchors and bolt the cables in. There is a tightener in along the cable as well as the abilitity to take up slack at both ends. What helped was the original light fixture that I removed and connected the transformer to. If that hadn't been there, installation would have taken much longer.

I got the rocket light at the Hallmark on King. I bought another Flying Saucer type halogen light at the store down at the Torpedo Factory, that's on my desk at work.

I've just finished the first round of set up for the contractors to come in next week. I opened up a closet in the basement under the stairs and realized that they had added a wall at the narrow end, where the stairs come down. I gave it a whack and ripped the dry wall out, exposing a triangular space at the highest 4'. This allows me to store a ton more crap, so I probably don't have to take apart the drafting table. Woohoo!

I just hope the construction isn't too dusty.

Nice avatar Blakespot. It looks really familliar, but I can't place it. What is it?

blakespot
Apr 7, 2002, 01:50 AM
Nice avatar Blakespot. It looks really familliar, but I can't place it. What is it?

It is my tattoo (http://homepage.mac.com/blakespot/.Pictures/RenFest%20(aug%2001)/renfest_aug01_08.jpg). The "Celtic Tree of Life".

I was going for a Celtic knot/symbol, but it's actually an older Druidic symbol, but fairly close to the Celtic image I was searching for. I encountered it a (small) number of places in the search for my "permanent avatar" when I got it 2 years back.

blakespot

Mr. Anderson
Apr 7, 2002, 08:06 AM

It is my tattoo (http://homepage.mac.com/blakespot/.Pictures/RenFest%20(aug%2001)/renfest_aug01_08.jpg). The "Celtic Tree of Life".

That's great. That what I thought and I went looking for a picture on the web and I found nothing that really came close. Its cool though.

I'm still working on a few ideas myself, and I might go with more than one, depending on my mood. Who knows. I've got a while before that happens, anyway.

iGav
Apr 7, 2002, 08:27 AM
Cool dukestreet, I like it, particularly the drafting table, I could so use one of those...... But my room, is the size of a very small shoebox, and it wouldn't fit in with my TiBook lid open!!:p

Everyone in the US seems to have Gazillions of macs...... My God the salaries must be very good in the states!!:D

And naive old me thought IKEA was only a European thing!!:p

2 more reasons to move to the states then..... Gazzillion Mac buying salaries and IKEA too!!!:p

blakespot
Apr 7, 2002, 09:32 AM
What happens if you were to grab hold of both of those wires making up that light string, one in each hand? What would happen if you were to lay one arm across both wires, as another scenario?

Curious.

blakespot

iGav
Apr 7, 2002, 10:08 AM
very spikey hair!!!!:eek:

The lights and cables are low voltage... so nothing!!!! :mad:

Mr. Anderson
Apr 7, 2002, 12:16 PM
What happens if you were to grab hold of both of those wires making up that light string, one in each hand? What would happen if you were to lay one arm across both wires, as another scenario?

Nothing. Its low wattage, about 10 or maybe a little more. But the nice thing is that it all surrounded in a clear plastic/rubbery covering. In order for the lights to work, you screw in the connectors and a pointy end cuts through the coating and touches the cable. Very cool, and very safe. I love them. You can also make it about twice as long and add another 5 or 6 lights on it. If you had the room. you could make it go around corners and stuff. Also run it from floor to ceiling. They also have several different light styles to choose from. Next time you're in Ikea, check them out.

On a side note: WooHoo! 400!:cool:

kishba
Apr 7, 2002, 12:26 PM
hmm what exactly is ikea like? i live in the middle-o-michigan and i have absolutely no idea what they're like

they sound like they have some cool stuff :)

iGav
Apr 7, 2002, 01:07 PM
cool
contemporary
funky
fun
minimal
max'd
natural
and nice.....

go to

http://www.ikea.com/

I really thought before this thread that IKEA was European only..... the Swedes are taking over the design world......

At least I know when I eventually move to the states, I can keep alittle Europeaness in my humble abode!!:p

Mr. Anderson
Apr 7, 2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by kishba
hmm what exactly is ikea like? i live in the middle-o-michigan and i have absolutely no idea what they're like

Ikea is pretty neat stuff, mostly contemporary and not exactly topshelf. Everything you buy you pretty much have to assemble yourself, dressers, beds, selves, entertainment units. Its supposed to reduce cost, and some items can be cheaper than at a regular furniture store. I only go there once in a while, maybe 2 times a year to see if there is anything new or cool.

Although I don't really like to put the stuff together any more, the first couple times it was kind of fun.

blakespot
Apr 7, 2002, 04:08 PM
Some other IKEA stuff I've got (well, this is just what we've got a photo of):

Entertainment center (http://www.blakespot.com/list/images/tv.jpg)

Bookshelf in computer room (http://www.hubbuddy.com/hubs/30/dloads/afterbc.jpg)
( I should point out that the dorky Apple-logo 'Blake' thing on the bookshelf I got made in 1984 when I was 12yo ... )

blakespot

iGav
Apr 7, 2002, 04:28 PM
dukestreet,

Flat pack furniture is a Great British past time...... :D

DIY is off the scale over here!! Everyone does it...... Every Sunday down B&Q for about 4 hours, buy some flat-furniture and spend the next 24 hours building the things..... It's like a sport here!!!:p

I'm being deadly serious here!! you guys have NASCAR we have MFI Checkouts..... both are Hi-Octane, ultra-competitive, agressive fun, fun, fun......:p :p :p

Mr. Anderson
Apr 7, 2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
dukestreet,
DIY is off the scale over here!! Everyone does it...... Every Sunday down B&Q for about 4 hours, buy some flat-furniture and spend the next 24 hours building the things..... It's like a sport here!!!:p

DIY? or is it BIY (Build it yourself)

So do you have competitions to see who can build it the fastest, with out errors, etc? That sounds crazy. Do your flat pack furniture (great word/description by the way, not used here in the states) come with their own little tools and strange hardware connectors? Ikea stuff does. I've got a box of extras and tools that aren't really good for anything but Ikea furniture.

blakespot
Apr 7, 2002, 09:24 PM

DIY? or is it BIY (Build it yourself)

So do you have competitions to see who can build it the fastest, with out errors, etc? That sounds crazy. Do your flat pack furniture (great word/description by the way, not used here in the states) come with their own little tools and strange hardware connectors? Ikea stuff does. I've got a box of extras and tools that aren't really good for anything but Ikea furniture.

Indeed, all those alan wrenches. I think they're called spanners in Britain.

blakespot