Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Bush to give Saddam and his 2 sons "Dumb" and "Dumber" 48 hours to get out.

The White House just said the deadline is 4:15AM Thursday Baghdad time which is 8:15PM Wednesday Eastern Time.

Saddam's son said in response:

The proposal should be that Bush leaves office in America, he and his family," Uday said.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle....Q5FIPGCRBAEOCFFA?type=topNews&storyID=2399231

The good news is that Bush said an all out war can be avoided if Saddam and his 2 sons leave, if not, maybe the 3 will be shot by Iraqis wishing to prevent the destruction of their country.

Bush asked Australia to participate in a "coalition of the willing" preparing for war against Iraq, Prime Minister John Howard said.

White House and congressional sources said Bush intends to send Congress a bill seeking more than $70 billion to pay for the war.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030318/ap_on_re_mi_ea/bush_iraq_15

________________________________________________________________________________

On a more serious note:

Senior Defense and other U.S. officials confirmed that intelligence reports indicate that Saddam Hussein's troops are armed with chemical munitions.

"The information is raw … and hard to confirm ... but we are seeing -- using different methods -- that Saddam Hussein has armed troops south of Baghdad with chemical weapons," one official said.

http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81303,00.html

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
That's just great... :rolleyes:

Well at least my CS final may get cancelled...

Yeah, right.

As long as we're going to war I hope its as successful as Desert Storm. If they're gonna do it they should at least do it well with as little casualties as possible.

EDIT: $70 billion??? And they can't even afford to give the schools enough money for classrooms and books... For shame... :(

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I'm listeing to the dictator right now.

'For peace, we need to attack iraq'

'I'll give you 48 hours to get out, we will advance.'

Edit: Wow he is using the sovereign right of the U.S... wow.

Chef Ramen

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2002
so youre glad that thousands of innocent iraqi men, women, and children will be slaughtered by cruise missle and MOAB attacks?

for shame

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Chef Ramen
so youre glad that thousands of innocent iraqi men, women, and children will be slaughtered by cruise missle and MOAB attacks?

for shame

Almost as shameful as your post. Not quite though.

Lethal

macfan

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Chef Ramen,
Are you happy that thousands of innocent Iraqis have been killed by Saddam and are being killed by Saddam?

Liberal Ovi

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2003
Well,

Our Down Syndrome-stricken president only slipped up about seven times. I was expecting more out of him.

Conservatives make me laugh.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002

for shame
no one in iraq cares about saddam. they are glad we are coming in my opinion. most of them are getting out of the country anyways. after we attach they will all come back. this will be a clean sweep in my opionion. most of it will be taken care of with planes.

iJon

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
So anyone willing to guess how many MOAB's were are gonna launch at iraq?
I mean they will destroy miles and miles of land... so maybe 100? :

We are so lucky that our president was so willing for the U.N to hear his resolution that HE PULLED IT. HE DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH VOTES SO HE DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO HEAR A DEBATE ABOUT ATTACKING IRAQ, THEY JUST SAID 'OK, were gonna get cremed, WHY NOT CAN IT?' AND THEY DID.

I'm glad they gave diplomacy such a chance.
'We used up all forms of diplomacy' No you didn't did you forget the U.N ?
The whole REASON for the U.N was for peace now you just ignore it.

Good job.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Well Liberal Peace Marching Saddom Lovers make me cry, I guess they are just fine with Saddam killing his own people ovi.

Saddam is a evil guy but are we willing to kill our own people, using Military force or because of strikes on iraq terriost strikes on our country?

I don't want to die. If these 'liberal peace marching SaddOm lovers' want peace what the hell is wrong with that?

No we need WAR, WAR WAR. Give peace no chance, CRUSH IT, DESTROY IT!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
Saddam is a evil guy but are we willing to kill our own people, using Military force or because of strikes on iraq terriost strikes on our country?

I don't want to die. If these 'liberal peace marching SaddOm lovers' want peace what the hell is wrong with that?

Pleaseeeee, we have given saddam peace for the past 12 years. now we are taking his ass to the curb and that country will be better off without him. i honestly dont think there will be much ground combat on this.

iJon

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I hope there won't be much ground combat, get in fast, and somehow get Sadam - that's the toughest thing and I certainly hope they can.

As for knowing that the chemical weapons are in the Iraqi arsenal - there are detection methods using hyperspectral imagery that can see traces of any definable subsatance, as long as you know what to look for. If they say he's got it, he's got it. And if they use it, its going to be bad, for both sides.

D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
I hope there won't be much ground combat, get in fast, and somehow get Sadam - that's the toughest thing and I certainly hope they can.

As for knowing that the chemical weapons are in the Iraqi arsenal - there are detection methods using hyperspectral imagery that can see traces of any definable subsatance, as long as you know what to look for. If they say he's got it, he's got it. And if they use it, its going to be bad, for both sides.

D
i honestly feel he will flee to another country. keep his look alikes in bagdad. he has enough money around the world to live his life without iraq. I think they are training the marines more with taking prisioners, since there will probably be lots surrendering.

iJon

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I think your right ijohn he will flee somehow undercover my guess. He will tell he is fighting to the last blah blah blah but in reality will be running under cover. I think mrmacman is scared of a draft and no a moab doesnt destroy everything for miles and miles. Lol, but you wouldnt want to be in the vicinity of the thing when it goes off. And 12 years of U.N. playing games with the french backing is enough. Time for action since that seems all Saddam ever understands. Lets hope the Iraqi people do as our President has asked. If so it will be better for them and take less time to get rid of the Butcher of Baghdad.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Listen, to everyone who is slamming Bush because of his decisions, you sound just like Saddam and his sons. You are so short-sighted, you can't understand the threat saddam poses, and you don't see that we've tried peacefully to get him to disarm for years now.

You claim that the US didn't give diplomacy a chance, but you are wrong. We've been giving diplomacy a chance for years now, and now that the US is threatening to take action, France, Germany, and Iraq are all bickering that they didn't have enough time, because they know that Iraq has squandered their time to disarm, and have not complied with the UN resolutions. We tried to work with the UN, but they were ineffective. Being the child Saddam is, verbally telling him to disarm does nothing. You should be smart enough to know that when something doesn't work, we have to try something that works, and when the lives of millions of innocent people around Iraq and in the US are on the line, we have to use something that we know works. We gave diplomacy a chance, and it failed, so now we will use force. Tyrants know that they didn't have to obey the UN, because they wouldn't do anything if they didn't comply. The UN is dead now. They have no power over anybody. They had no power over Iraq. They were just an excuse used by france and saddam to beat around the bush. Bush is making sure that tyrants understand that when you don't comply with diplomacy, you will face the consequences. Hopefully the US will make an example out of Iraq, and show others not to f*ck around.

For those that claim the US will just kill innocent civilians, remember that we don't intentionally target non-military targets. We don't go to war with the mindset Iraq will, to kill every person who is with the enemy. If civilians are smart, they will know not to be near military targets, and if saddam packs his palaces with civilians against their will, it will show who the true monster is here.

For those who claim that Bush is a bigger threat than saddam, get over it. We know what saddam is like. We know that he won't disarm as long as he is in power, and neither will his sons. Saddam has killed many of his own people, and he has the capability to kill more, and nobody in Iraq will stop him. Saddam is a monster, and if nobody in Iraq is going to remove him, then we will. Bush is only doing what he needs to do to keep innocent Americans, and other people in the world safe.

Ovi, Macman, and Ramen, is it humane to let saddam kill his own people? The US has the power to stop saddam, and we should use it. Diplomacy was given a chance, and it failed. Nobody else seems to want to take on saddam, so it's up to the US.

France is only defending Iraq because they have financial interests in Iraq. Remember, France is the country that let hitler march right through their country. France did nothing then, and they're doing nothing now. They are afraid to send their troops to Iraq, and they think that they'll be immune to any retaliation by saddam, but saddam has made no guarentee that france is safe. What will it take for them to understand? Just think about it.

If the US isn't strong, and doesn't take a stand, and show that we're not afraid to attack, terrorists and tyrants will be given even more opportunities to carry out attacks on the US and other countries. There is no guarentee that terrorists and tyrants will comply with any type of diplomacy, meaning that they can play games, and have time to plan and carry out attacks. If we are lax with people like saddam, they will not hesitate to create more weapons and plan attacks. You have to realize that to keep your wonderful safety and freedom in the US, we have to insure that conutries like Iraq don't pose a threat to us, or anybody else for that matter.

The world isn't the safe, peaceful place it may seem to be. There are people out there who don't give a sh*t about you and your failies. You should feel lucky you have the US to protect you.

Also, for those who complain that they aren't spending enough on education and other things, remember that if we can't protect ourselves, our education is worthless.

For all those liberals who complain about Bush and his decisions, get a life or go to france. You make me sick...

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI

for shame

You know what? That's nonsense. Thousands of innocents are never accidentally killed, even in your wildest imaginations, nor are we even thinking of intentionally attacking civilians. Bush even offered peace to the 400,000 strong conscript army. He wants Saddam's regime and his weapons. That is all. Don't post nonsense.

P.S. No is glad when innocents are killed, but if any are, the blame must be laid on Saddam, since his strategy will be to get as many civilians in harm's way as possible to give you liberals something to criticize Bush.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit

We are not killing our own people.

We've given peace a chance. In fact, we gave it 12 years.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit

The UN has had 12 years. How much more time do you want to let the diplomats have?! Another 12 years? Words can only do so much.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
So anyone willing to guess how many MOAB's were are gonna launch at iraq?
I mean they will destroy miles and miles of land... so maybe 100? :

We are so lucky that our president was so willing for the U.N to hear his resolution that HE PULLED IT. HE DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH VOTES SO HE DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO HEAR A DEBATE ABOUT ATTACKING IRAQ, THEY JUST SAID 'OK, were gonna get cremed, WHY NOT CAN IT?' AND THEY DID.

The whole REASON for the U.N was for peace now you just ignore it.

Good job.

12 years is a lot of diplomacy...

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Edit: Wow he is using the sovereign right of the U.S... wow.

That's correct.

The UN is not a one world government.

The US, as a soveriegn nation, is not flouting international law. The resolutions voted upon by the Security Council are binding agreements between the countries involved, however, they do not constitute law. Last time I checked there was not a global constitution that stated that one soveriegn country did not have the right to declare war on another soveriegn nation.

The UN is a open forum originally used to prevent and solve international disputes before they become uncontrollable. I will repeat, the UN is not a global government.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.