Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermacdesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
G5 Dual 2.0 (running 10.4.7) with a new Dual Pioneer DVR-111D drive won't see blank disc media. I have the latest firmware for the device. It will recognize burnt media, CDs, DVDs and such but won't see a blank disc thats popped in.

HELP PLEASE!! Do not know what to do. Is it a further firmware update, a software update is it the media I am using, a preference somewhere?

supermacdesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Where did all the genius bar types go?

I was gone for a week on a photoshoot and full expected the gurus here at Mac Rumors o have produced some kind of solution to my problem. Not one response?! Please people, can anyone suggest something?

supermacdesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
macenforcer said:
No computer reads blank media. Its blank.

You missed what I was asking. You put the disc in and no Disc Icon appears on the desktop. Therefore i cannot put any files on the disc to burn.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
supermacdesign said:
You missed what I was asking. You put the disc in and no Disc Icon appears on the desktop. Therefore i cannot put any files on the disc to burn.

It won't show one. You have to initialize the disc or use a disc burning program like toast.

hi-liter

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2006
macenforcer said:
It won't show one. You have to initialize the disc or use a disc burning program like toast.

I disagree, I recently purchased and installed the 111D in my G4 and it read blank media for awhile, then became selective and now won't read it at all. Like the original poster, it will read any kind of recorded media, even the disks I previously burned on it, but will not read a blank disk... will not show an icon on the desktop... though it used to! (no initializing of anything was required). Now I simply get an error code saying the disk drive is not supported.

I've seen some work arounds where the new firmware is supposed to be downloaded from Pioneer's site, put into a folder and then hacked into the system via Terminal... yet, when I've tried the walkthrough Terminal will come back saying that no such file exists in the location, even though I'm looking at the file.

This is way too much hassle for what Mac is supposed to be known for... plug and play, but not this! One would think that you could replace a Pioneer drive with a newer Pioneer drive and it would work... mac simplicity... I'm wondering if there's some software conflict from Apple that has interfered (the reason I say this is because there's one software update I can't download/install, because everytime I do, it knocks out my network connection and I lose airport function. I have to clean install the OS, avoid that update, just so I can use my wireless airport connection.) So wondering if there's other incompatibilities...

So, if someone out there has some genuinely helpful advice it would be appreciated.

EDIT: Okay, I did some more looking and came across a forum addressing the issue... mentioned 'Patchburn' (you can google it). I downloaded it, installed it, restarted the computer... popped a blank cd in and it read it right away! Will try a dvd next. (am currently burning some files to the new cd with Toast). Anyway... hope that helps!

EDIT: Okay, after installing Patchburn, be sure to go to System Preferences, Hardware, CDs & DVDs and from that menu when it shows 'When you insert a blank CD...' use Open Finder from dropdown menu... same for DVD and then they'll show up on your desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.