PDA

View Full Version : My touch screen iPod mockup: in progress.

Mammoth
Aug 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
What do you think? I'm gonna thicken it and add a slide out keyboard if I'm good enough (Done!). (PS I'm 13 so I don't have much experience)
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7218/ipodwholejf7.jpg

Approx Scale 1:2 so the real unit is 2 times as large.

Specs:

30GB HD
Removeable Battery
1.3MP video camera
2MP video camera on outside
WiFI & Bluetooth, Ad hoc mode, maybe infrastructure/mesh mode
Full thumboard, backlit. Has all Function keys (Not for long) and 2 extra for Wifi & Bluetooth, can be configurd (Copy and Paste?)
iPod wheel is a trackpad, buttons can be pressed as normal
2 large buttons are left and right click
140x83x15mm
5.75" OLED 18 bit color
Uses standard dock connector for expansion (USB Ports, etc.

To Do:
-Downsize headphone jack, hold switch and dock connector. (They are 2 times larger than they should be and this could be why you think it's too small.) DONE
-Trash Function keys and L/R click, upsize click wheel. DONE
-iTunes DONE
-Widen keyboard (Not so much that they're rectangles) DONE
-Rearrange placement of images
-add cellphone features (Ho boy....)
-Virtual click wheel (Could be turned off in system prefrences)
-Fix that GHASTLY lens cover
-Stylus
-Inkwell DONE

AJ Muni
Aug 11, 2006, 05:48 PM
To be honest it looks good, your very creative. But my only questions is, why waste time on creating a mock up?:rolleyes: I've never understood that..

killuminati
Aug 11, 2006, 05:50 PM
Looks cool. The camera is bugging me though because I don't think it's centered.

Mammoth
Aug 11, 2006, 05:53 PM
Looks cool. The camera is bugging me though because I don't think it's centered.
I think you're right. I think I need to turn on the grid.

Mammoth
Aug 11, 2006, 05:53 PM
To be honest it looks good, your very creative. But my only questions is, why waste time on creating a mock up?:rolleyes: I've never understood that..
Because it's fun..? :confused:

And should I black out the 'window' on the iChat AV screen?

killuminati
Aug 11, 2006, 06:13 PM
And should I black out the 'window' on the iChat AV screen?

Yes, it serves no purpose and just takes up valuable space.

bwanac
Aug 11, 2006, 06:14 PM
I dont see the appeal of such a product.

But its looks nice... too much screen though.

Mammoth
Aug 11, 2006, 06:15 PM
I dont see the appeal of such a product.

But its looks nice... too much screen though.
Well I'm a bit bored.

And lots of screen is important to me. (Sony Mylo... so nice but 2.4" screen.. no.)

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 11, 2006, 06:22 PM
I love mockups - I think they're fun too :p

This one looks good - but yeah, turn the grid on, the uncentered camera bugs me...:)

steve jr.
Aug 11, 2006, 06:42 PM
the side view of the iPod laying down...the reflection is to the right of the ipod in space. you just turned the profile shot on its side. but nice!

Mammoth
Aug 11, 2006, 06:57 PM
I was thinking about messing with the reflection but I figured it's so hard to notice (I think) and it would be a real pain to fix.
Edit: I realised what you mean, I'll fix that eventually.

GFLPraxis
Aug 11, 2006, 08:08 PM
I don't see the use in the camera. Unless the thing has WiFi and will be used for video chatting primarily (and Apple's been making all kinds of cracks about WiFi sucking battery power too much), it'd be better to have the camera behind it to take photos of your surroundings.

Mammoth
Aug 11, 2006, 09:18 PM
I don't see the use in the camera. Unless the thing has WiFi and will be used for video chatting primarily (and Apple's been making all kinds of cracks about WiFi sucking battery power too much), it'd be better to have the camera behind it to take photos of your surroundings.
Yes it has WiFi and Bluetooth, and it also has a removeable battery. :cool:
And it also has a 2MP camera on the other side.

zane
Aug 11, 2006, 10:22 PM
You might want to keep the keyboard as small as possible because of the limited space.

tominated
Aug 11, 2006, 11:58 PM
wow, i am 13 and i could only dream about making a mockup that good.

p.s. i am extremely computer literate. 3 high distingtions in a row for Asia-Pacific Computer competition

Mammoth
Aug 12, 2006, 12:06 AM

p.s. i am extremely computer literate. 3 high distingtions in a row for Asia-Pacific Computer competition
It's not that hard when you can manage layers okay and can use the scale tool. ;)

GFLPraxis
Aug 12, 2006, 12:36 AM
Yes it has WiFi and Bluetooth, and it also has a removeable battery. :cool:
And it also has a 2MP camera on the other side.

A camera on each side is a bit redundant in that case. What about a camera that rotates 180 degrees?

Mammoth
Aug 12, 2006, 12:48 AM
Interesting idea, I'll see what I can do with that in a future version.

wwooden
Aug 12, 2006, 09:29 AM
As cool as that 4-way video chat would be, I highly doubt they could get a fast enough processor in that case to do that. Right now, 4-way chat needs a high end G4, a G5 or any Intel. Those are not small processors and they put off a ton of heat. I could see maybe a one-to-one video as possible. The audio though, I don't see a problem with as many as you have showing, would be a little crazy trying to talk to that many people at once.

As the above mentioned, seems weird to have 2 cameras. I think a swivel would be a good idea, maybe add a flash too if you're going to put a good camera on there.

I like the mock-up so far.

Only other thing I don't like is the size of the scroll wheel. Maybe keep the keyboard where it is and remove all the stuff around the wheel and make it bigger.

Those are my only suggestions. If they came out with something like this, I would buy it on the spot. :) Good work.

beatsme
Aug 12, 2006, 10:03 AM
as long as we're just pretending, you may as well change the specs a tad:

use flash memory instead of a HD. Toshiba (I think) is on the verge of releasing a miniature 8GB flash memory module. 4 of those should fit nicely in a future iPod. Less power to run them=longer battery life.

use OLED for display instead of LCD. OLED uses less power, has better picture quality, & is much thinner. It's in use now on some handheld devices (a few digital cameras, though I'm unsure which ones) and is on the verge of displacing LCD, once the "broad daylight" issues get worked out.

pink-pony115
Aug 12, 2006, 02:00 PM
When are you shipping that mockup?

;)

BlizzardBomb
Aug 12, 2006, 02:10 PM
You must have a 0.1mm thumb to use the wheel :p

Spaceman Spiff
Aug 12, 2006, 02:18 PM
Good, but the keyboard/scroll wheel/number pad is way overcrowded in my opinion. I would think Apple would simplify things a little more than that. That just looks overly complicated.

dextertangocci
Aug 12, 2006, 02:53 PM
Well done! They look good:)

beatsme
Aug 12, 2006, 03:12 PM

it's the mark of a well-designed OS/software package that something this complex can be done so easily...you have to hand it to Apple/Adobe

Mammoth
Aug 12, 2006, 05:02 PM
When are you shipping that mockup?

;)
August 31st. $499. Black or White. Leather case, external charger, and spare battery included. ;)

Scarlet Fever
Aug 12, 2006, 06:45 PM
i think i prefer the ports (eg headphone, dock, Hold switch) on the shorter sides. It fits in your pocket better.

Also, I think two cameras is overkill. If any is needed, a rotating cam would be better.

That said, its a very good mockup!

Mammoth
Aug 12, 2006, 09:06 PM
You are right about 2 cameras being overkill, but having a rotating camera on such a thin screen casing would be kind of weird. I'm not sure the headphone jack and hold switch being on the side would be a problem, it's far to large as-is to fit in your standard pocket at all.

shadowmoses
Aug 13, 2006, 01:59 AM
Well done bro, absolutly awesome mockup!!!

ShadoW

pknz
Aug 13, 2006, 02:24 AM
Nice mockup but I feel that it isn't 'Apple.' I can't see Apple bothering with a full keyboard, camera etc when they dont even put radio in.

Flowbee
Aug 13, 2006, 03:00 AM
Good, but the keyboard/scroll wheel/number pad is way overcrowded in my opinion. I would think Apple would simplify things a little more than that. That just looks overly complicated.

Agreed. Way too many tiny buttons there.

rontheancient
Aug 13, 2006, 03:13 AM
Apple would never put that many keys in that interface, too complicated. Suggest that you lose click wheel and the other keys in the area (L/R click is redundant since you have a touchscreen), make the QWERTY set span the entire width of the iPod. The click wheel should be virtual since that was what most other mockups use. I can understand the two cameras but it kinda is overkill (pushes the limits, which Apple is known to do). I would drop either iChat or photography along with the corresponding camera. Also, the dock connector would be better on the side to go with current dock offerings.

Overall, very very very good for a WIP and for a person your age. Im just worried that this iPod would be too UMPC and would compete with current Mac products, try placing an emphasis on viewing media and instead of editing or creating them. Bluetooth I like very much, but WiFi=web browsing and that would not be practical on such a small screen.

Mammoth
Aug 13, 2006, 11:13 PM
Alright, thanks everyone for your wonderful suggestions, I've decided in my next version to trash the 'function' keys mainly because they're really small and serve nearly no purpose on a small unit that wouldn't have Expose, etc. I'll get rid of the left and right click, the click wheel might stay and will most likely replace the left and right click buttons. The screen is now OLED and I really have to downsize the ports because I made them lifesize relative to my iPod and this iPod is a fair bit larger.

I'm thinking I might enter it in iLounges mockup competition under my parents name because I'm under-age. Good idea? :confused:

jive
Aug 14, 2006, 04:59 AM
You didn't show it using iTunes >_> Y'know, the primary function of an ipod...

emotion
Aug 14, 2006, 08:00 AM
Nice mockup but I feel that it isn't 'Apple.' I can't see Apple bothering with a full keyboard, camera etc when they dont even put radio in.

Radio? Didn't podcasts replace that a year or so back?

:)

Nice mockup btw. I'd love a device along those lines.

CANEHDN
Aug 14, 2006, 12:50 PM
Well done. Very impressive. Especially for a 13 year old. I couldn't do anything that nice. I probably couldn't even think of something that nice, let alone get a mock up of it. Excellent.

Xenious
Aug 14, 2006, 01:12 PM
Where can I place my order? ;) I say move the scroll wheel up onto the screen and make the keyboard part larger. (take a look at any of the HTC wizard's for a good idea of minimum size)

Excellent work. I especially like the vertical oriented ichat audio interface and then the horizontal video chat one.
-Jim

beatsme
Aug 14, 2006, 01:45 PM
what I think would be really cool is a "touch screen" iPod...the whole front is a view screen and you just touch the face and, voila, the controls pop up. Be a lot cooler for viewing video/movies, though the screen would get awfully smudgy...

steamboat26
Aug 14, 2006, 02:45 PM
How do you do stuff like that?
Thats really cool, but you'd have to use a toothpick to type anything on that keyboard.

Mammoth
Aug 14, 2006, 10:27 PM
More things to add:
-iTunes
-Widen keyboard (Not so much that they're rectangles)
-Rearrange placement of images
-add cellphone features (Ho boy....)
-Virtual click wheel (Could be turned off in system prefrences)

I personally don't really like the virtual click wheel mainly because on a screen so small you should utilize the space as best as possible to display content, not controls. Full controls on screen will come in another mockup. ;)

tominated
Aug 15, 2006, 04:30 AM
how 'bout handwriting recognition. and an onscreen click wheel would be better

Arip
Aug 15, 2006, 05:42 PM
absolute amazing!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

keep the excelent job! the world need more creative ppl like you!!!

Mammoth
Aug 15, 2006, 08:29 PM
how 'bout handwriting recognition. and an onscreen click wheel would be better
Hmm.. thanks for reminding me.
More to add:
-Stylus
-Inkwell

Speaking of which, could someone give me some screenshots of Inkwell that would fit well? :D

absolute amazing!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

keep the excelent job! the world need more creative ppl like you!!!

Ah, thank you. I thought everyone would criticize me for using a Macbook keyboard.

Mammoth
Aug 21, 2006, 09:58 PM
Only other thing I don't like is the size of the scroll wheel. Maybe keep the keyboard where it is and remove all the stuff around the wheel and make it bigger.

Hehe I listened to you. Any more suggestions?

Kingsly
Aug 21, 2006, 11:32 PM
Looks great, but I dont think Apple will ever include a slide out keyboard. They've put too much R&D into touch interfaces and such. Besides, I don't think Ive wold allow it.

In other words, I'd love to see a mock up with the quarter-circle-semi-transparent-touch-keyboard (http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:applearckeyboard.png) that was patented recently.

more:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Gallery_of_Touch_Screen_Interface_Patent

http://guides.macrumors.com/Gallery_of_Gesture_User_Interface_Patent

aswitcher
Aug 22, 2006, 03:26 AM
Looks great, but I dont think Apple will ever include a slide out keyboard. They've put too much R&D into touch interfaces and such. Besides, I don't think Ive wold allow it.

In other words, I'd love to see a mock up with the quarter-circle-semi-transparent-touch-keyboard (http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:applearckeyboard.png) that was patented recently.

more:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Gallery_of_Touch_Screen_Interface_Patent

http://guides.macrumors.com/Gallery_of_Gesture_User_Interface_Patent

Nice. I do wonder though if Apple will strike in time for Christmas with a new iPod. Seems like a good time to make money.

Mammoth
Aug 23, 2006, 03:11 PM
I think they will. Christimas is the time for enormous sales, and Apple hasn't updated their iPods in nearly a year. Time for something revolutionary. To destroy the Zunes hopes of ever making it to the assembly line. :cool:

Rickay726
Sep 2, 2006, 12:42 PM
cool designs i like them alot

Mammoth
Sep 7, 2006, 10:57 PM
cool designs i like them alot
Thanks everyone for your great feedback, I didn't expect anyone to like it that much. I've entered it in iLounges iPod contest. There's one that's similar, but has a HTC thumboard and slides by means of what looks like 2 iPod Nanos on top of eachother. So don't mistake that one for mine. :p