PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to Leopard Mail

MacBytes
Aug 12, 2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: Reactions to Leopard Mail (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060812185107)
Description:: After a week spent dissecting the keynote from every angle, frantically hunting for new hidden features in Leopard and evaluating how much of it is really new and/or useful, it’s time for a round up of the “general view” on Leopard Mail.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Superdrive
Aug 12, 2006, 06:32 PM
I have to agree with the majority of the bloggers on there, and on MR. The program is called Mail. How about the old acronym KISS? Make it possible to write HTML email in those circumstances where you want to express yourself, but make the mail aspect work seemlessly throughout.

andrewm
Aug 13, 2006, 02:37 PM
I don't quite get some of the complaints that have been going 'round here. First off, as a student I find that TextEdit works for taking notes, but it'd be handy to have a dedicated To-Do/Note management tool that Apple provides for free (once one buys Leopard).

Also, for those who complain about the stationery templates: HTML mail is not the greatest thing in the world--RTF mail is far better--but the future of RTF is in XML code, is it not? Thus we should all be dumping RTF and HTML mail for a new (and to my knowledge currently nonexistent) standard, XML/XHTML mail that uses a new RTF format that represents a convergence of existing formats. Yum.

As for the RSS reader, it's nice that Apple provides a coalesced RSS reader; hopefully it will be more friendly than Safari (which already does a pretty good job, IMHO).

Although my guess is that consensus would feel that newsgroups are dead, it'd be nice if Mail.app supported them.

banjomamo
Aug 13, 2006, 04:28 PM
I like the notes feature and that it can be organized in mail. But to me the iCal integration is the key to success for a lot of the to-do and task features that seem to be in Leopard.

Chef Medeski
Aug 13, 2006, 05:59 PM
I like the notes feature and that it can be organized in mail. But to me the iCal integration is the key to success for a lot of the to-do and task features that seem to be in Leopard.
Yeah.. its nice to have an app for every task... that way u only have open what u need. But still being able to have all three programs, mail, address book, and ical synchronize so well like Outlook means u don't have any cons to them being seperate.

Fiveos22
Aug 13, 2006, 08:38 PM
Tacking on new features shouldn't be seen as a bad thing unless it brings the rest of the application down with it, no? Do these features encumber the standard Mail features?

wmmk
Aug 13, 2006, 11:05 PM
Tacking on new features shouldn't be seen as a bad thing unless it brings the rest of the application down with it, no? Do these features encumber the standard Mail features?
as far as i can see, not at all. that's why i cant wait for leopard!

Analog Kid
Aug 16, 2006, 09:59 PM
One of the reasons I was so happy about leaving Outlook for Mail is that I hated the way Outlook tried to combined too many features into one interface. Now Mail is trying to do the same thing...

Apple has gone from making a bunch of special purpose apps that communicate well with each other to trying to integrate functionality in strange ways. They've done this with iLife (seems like podcast authoring should all be in iMovie, not sprinkled around through Garageband and the rest and why do I have to rely on iTunes to sync pictures from iPhoto to my iPod?). Now they're doing it with the productivity apps-- iCal is still separate (good), but to-do's are being shown as a feature of Mail?

I like Stickies for quick notes, but I'm frustrated by how hard it is to find the actual storage for those. I don't want to use Mail as my note writer... If Apple wants to make note taking and note keeping easier, then give me a dedicated application that does more than just make them special emails.

I do like the centralized to-do database, and the ability to easily convert anything into a to-do. What I want is a better way of managing them and tracking them.

The one integration that *would* make sense is linking iCal to the menubar clock, and I haven't heard anything about doing that...

And this preoccupation with templates is getting out of hand. At least Mail lets you design templates-- that's a step in the right direction...