PDA

View Full Version : original imac RIP!!!

bertagert
Mar 18, 2003, 01:53 PM
Original Imac is going to die. :(

Cnet Reports (http://news.com.com/2100-1041-993081.html?tag=fd_top)

jethroted
Mar 18, 2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bertagert
Original Imac is going to die. :(

Cnet Reports (http://news.com.com/2100-1041-993081.html?tag=fd_top)

All computer models will die eventually. They can't sell the same thing forever.

dricci
Mar 18, 2003, 02:15 PM
Well this sucks. That means Apple's cheapest computer is $999. :mad:

patrick0brien
Mar 18, 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
All computer models will die eventually. They can't sell the same thing forever.

-Awww DAMMIT

I guess the Lisa I just sent cash to buy was really a scam.

:D

Mr. Anderson
Mar 18, 2003, 02:34 PM
Well, it was only a matter of time. Now its a collectors item ;)

But if you look back at it, the original iMac really did change the face of computing for ever.

The iMac is dead, long live the iMac!

D

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 18, 2003, 02:39 PM
Still dont see why they couldnt sell a 700 g3 model with a 32mb card in it! Apple needs a cheap alternative to the wintel world. I still dont think a Emac is cheap enough to compete with the cheaper wintels but maybe iam wrong on this. We have had 2, a 333 and my wife has a 500. Both have been great machines. They were the computer that saved apple.

Interiority
Mar 18, 2003, 02:44 PM
This is a sad day. The original iMac is still the only truly affordable Macintosh. It is a shame that Apple haven't chosen to update it with a speedy IBM G3 and an ultra low price-point.

vniow
Mar 18, 2003, 02:44 PM
This kinda sux, the iMac itself can't be worth more than $499 (and I'm being gererous here) and currently Apple has nothing to compete in that arena where white-box manufacturers and Emachines rule, the iMac is full or outdated parts, the older G3 chip, older graphics card, curved 15" CRT monitor, and the one thing that differs it from those ultra-cheapo PCs is the build quality.

You don't normally see two year old PCs that are in the same condition as the two year old iMacs, nor are most of them running the latest version of Windows with no hassle, many people are happily running OSX on their iMacs and they'll still get another good year out of them at the least, the iMac shouldn't die, its price should just be cut in half with its hardware updated also, the kind of people who would buy it are not the kind of people who are in the market for the higher magin machines so I don't think they would lose anything by keeping the classic iMac at a much lower price.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 18, 2003, 03:03 PM
vniow is so right, our 5 year old 333 is in the sons hands and is still going even today, Not to get off topic but what is the home theater group all about vniow?

vniow
Mar 18, 2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Not to get off topic but what is the home theater group all about vniow?

It's for people who want to use their Macs as part of their home theatre system, there are many reasons why, but that's for a different thread.http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=257466

Currently PCs have the leg up in this market which is rather strange considering all the hype around the digital hub......

MrMacMan
Mar 18, 2003, 03:33 PM
Score!

Adds $150 to asking price. :D

Original Bondi Blue baby. :D

In a couple years it will be worth BILLIONS, okay probably not... :rolleyes:

Eniregnat
Mar 18, 2003, 05:34 PM
Don't be surprised if the eMac fills the void that the original iMac once held. There is still a need for a simple all-in-one, and I think that Apple bets that the eMac will sell better once the iMac is gone.

Most of the people that purchased the classic iMac after the introduction of the flat panel iMac were disappointed. I can't blame them. It’s not their or Apple’s fault. There is just such a huge difference in performance, ergonomics, and appearance.

This also sets Apple up to reintroduce the iMac Classic years from now. It will be more powerful, colored -again, and will probably still sport a CRT

Kwyjibo
Mar 18, 2003, 05:54 PM
I don't think apple will re-release anything its simply not innovative and we all know apple prides themsleves on innovation. If you also notice the smallest display apple sells with a dektop is 17inches, I would assume they will maintain that.

Freg3000
Mar 18, 2003, 06:22 PM
Apple should have slapped a $499 price tag on the iMac to attract low end Windows users. Too bad it's gone.

scem0
Mar 18, 2003, 07:47 PM
I agree with V, Freg, and anyone else who thinks apple needs
an ultra cheap machine for sub $500.

The classic iMac is a great machine. Used mine for ~3 years.

Sad to see it go. :( ;)

Billicus
Mar 18, 2003, 08:00 PM
It truely is a sad day. I love these machines (I'm using one now), and my school loves them too. (But we are getting eMacs for our lab now) Too bad, but this time was soon to come.

FelixDerKater
Mar 18, 2003, 10:47 PM
Finally! Glad to see them go. Compared to the newer stuff they look so cheap and ugly.

The SE gray models looked sweet, but even they have lived out their popularity.

Don't take that the wrong way... They were good in their time, but times have changed.

Lesson learned... That keyboard and mouse that came with the original iMacs and PowerMac G4s was the biggest screw-up Apple has made in a long time.

FelixDerKater
Mar 18, 2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Apple should have slapped a $499 price tag on the iMac to attract low end Windows users. Too bad it's gone.

Wait for the 970 to arrive and you will probably see the eMac with a G4 in that range.

trebblekicked
Mar 19, 2003, 01:58 AM
y' know, today was the first time i ever used an original imac. ironic, huh?
a friend has an original bondi blue 233 with 10.2 installed and an external CD burner. she asked me to help her with itunes, and i spent about an hour messing with the machine just to see how it handled OSX. It did pretty much what i expected it to do. It was slow, it couldn't really make use of the dock's special effects, it took an hour to burn a CD, but you know what? it worked. This computer is how old? five years? the fact that old hardware can make use of a state of the art OS is a testament to apple's quality.
The imac may not be sold anymore, but i don't think it's dead. not by a long shot. more people owned imacs than any other kind of computer. i think we'll see strong imac classic communities develop, and collectors and enthusiasts will keep the original imac in the public view for years to come.

crapple33
Mar 19, 2003, 04:00 PM
Bondi Blue? I've got an original Rev-A. You know, the one with the Infrared (spell check) thing on the left side? But I upgraded it, so now it's at 400 mghz G4 w/96 mb RAM and a 20 gig hard drive, plus a voodo II video card. But man, it started out with a 4 gig hard drive and 32 mb ram at 233 mghz. And only 4 mb of VRAM.

trebblekicked
Mar 19, 2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by crapple33
Bondi Blue? I've got an original Rev-A. You know, the one with the Infrared (spell check) thing on the left side? But I upgraded it, so now it's at 400 mghz G4 w/96 mb RAM and a 20 gig hard drive, plus a voodo II video card. But man, it started out with a 4 gig hard drive and 32 mb ram at 233 mghz. And only 4 mb of VRAM.

how was the upgrade? fun? easy? just curious.

crapple33
Mar 22, 2003, 09:06 PM
how was the upgrade? fun? easy? just curious.

It had its ups and downs. The memory and processor upgrades were pretty easy, at least as iMac upgrades go, which still means you have to take the entire thing apart just to get at the processor slot. The hard drive was easy, technically, but it was annoying in other ways. It turns out that the Rev-A just can't support a 20 gig hard drive, unless you partition. So we partitioned it, which is kind of annoying, but necessary. The REALLY hard part was upgrading the graphics card. The Rev-A was made with an obsolete slot called the mezzanine slot which differs slightly from a regular PCI slot. And it sure as heck didn't have an AGP slot. Well, a little while after apple released the Rev-A, they posted a notice on their web site saying that the mezzanine slot was being abandoned and nothing would be made for it ever again. This ruled out the option of putting any kind of new graphics card in it, but there was a workaround. Some company, I don't remember what it was called, had produced a mezzanine to PCI convert card, so what we did was buy that and stick the voodoo 2 in it. All in all, it was pretty annoying, but now it runs everything fine under OS X, so I guess it was a succes.

Incindentally, right after we bought the processor upgrade, the company that made it, NewerTech, went out of business. But recently, their assets were purchased by Other World Computing so now they're back.