PDA

View Full Version : iPod Shuffle dead in only 2 hours

Foxglove9
Aug 13, 2006, 02:24 PM
I recently opened up my iPod shuffle for a long trip I was taking. I plugged it in and it called for an update which went smoothly. After that I decided to upload a whole bunch of songs to fill up the shuffle.

So I listen to thing on the train and I would say about 2 hours usage (not continuos as I had to shut it at certain points), the machine would not work. I would press buttons and no matter what I got the 2 flashing lights error. So the whole trip my ipod was disabled.

I couldn't figure it out. I even kept it in this ultra padded pouch pocket that I keep my Nintendo DS Lite in, when I listened to it I would just holding it in my hand.

So I get home, plug it into my mac and the mac won't even recognize it as being plugged in. I tried everything, including resetting it and reinstalling firmware (which wouldn't work since it couldn't be mounted) and then I learn after looking up the problem on google that the shuffle seems to have this problem sometimes. And once that happens the iPod is considered dead and needs to be replaced. So I have yet to go to the Apple store to replace it but I will since it is still under warranty. I love the shuffle don't get me wrong, but wow, 2 hours isn't a whole lot for a $100+ machine to just die out so easily right?

Unless someone knows some trick to get it working, that doesn't involve returning it, that I might have missed in my research?

crazzyeddie
Aug 13, 2006, 05:28 PM
The two blinking lights means some sort of fatal error which means time for a replacement, especially if you can't mount it on the computer. Sometimes it happens if you have bad music files or if the flash memory in the iPod is corrupt.

Foxglove9
Aug 13, 2006, 05:52 PM
Bad music file? Does this mean this could happen again when I get my new shuffle if i place the same songs on it that made it crash the first time?

Do the Nano's have this same problem, I wonder if it is worth upgrading if that was possible.

The two blinking lights means some sort of fatal error which means time for a replacement, especially if you can't mount it on the computer. Sometimes it happens if you have bad music files or if the flash memory in the iPod is corrupt.

princealfie
Aug 13, 2006, 07:36 PM
Nope... come on don't get him that false information. The blinking lights mean that you are supposed to recharge fully before using. Just leave it off and reset. :p

IJ Reilly
Aug 13, 2006, 07:44 PM
Nope... come on don't get him that false information. The blinking lights mean that you are supposed to recharge fully before using. Just leave it off and reset. :p

No. Many people have had the alternating green-orange blink of death on their shuffles. If it's not being recognized by iTunes, then it's probably a goner. I have never heard of this being caused by music files. I think it's a hardware failure.

crazzyeddie
Aug 13, 2006, 07:45 PM

What? Who told you that? Flashing lights and no mounting means hardware failure.

Songs alone will not cause the iPod to stop mounting, only flash the lights sometimes.

Foxglove9
Aug 13, 2006, 08:40 PM
The bad file theory seemed kind of unlikely :)

It's been about 2 weeks now and I tried mounting it on a PC and 2 macs and no good. So I'm going with hardware failure.

What? Who told you that? Flashing lights and no mounting means hardware failure.

Songs alone will not cause the iPod to stop mounting, only flash the lights sometimes.

MattyMac
Aug 13, 2006, 09:37 PM
Hopefully it is still under warranty?? If so it should be replaced with no problems.

Foxglove9
Aug 13, 2006, 10:21 PM
Yeah it's good for 1 year, so I can take my time in getting to an Apple store..gives me a reason to check out the new MacPros.

Hopefully it is still under warranty?? If so it should be replaced with no problems.