Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
My worksation is a full size desk I bought at iKea five or six years ago. (It replaced the pressboard computer table I bought for my Apple //c in 1985.) The desk features a recessed strage area designed for the CPU tower. There is a hole at the top for cable access (not large enough for even a small hand to pass through) which is of no utility for ventilation. So basically, I'm keeping my DP 1.4 in a wooden box, open only in the front. There is probably 1.5 to 2 inches on each side and maybe 6 inchs clearance on top (maybe an inch or two more.) It is hard to tell, but I think there is probably about 4 to 6 inches extra depth behind the CPU. Do I even have to ask if this is a bad idea vis a vis keeping the unit cool?

daedelgt

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
I'm going to have to go with "probably" ;)

Cut a little slit or hole in the front near where the intakes are and cut a hole near the back where the fans come out. That should provide some nice airflow.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
The front is open, no cover or door whatsoever. It's just that that is the only opening. Maybe I will cut a hole in the back, though.

daedelgt

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
That would probably be best. Without that hole the intakes are likely sucking in hot air.

My god, I just applied car knowledge to computers :eek:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
For a G3 machine, I would say it's adequate. For a dual G4, I don't think so. I would certainly get a couple of themometers to put just outside the computer until I was satisfied with the temperatures all around it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.