PDA

View Full Version : define "well ventilated"

Foxer
Mar 18, 2003, 03:49 PM
My worksation is a full size desk I bought at iKea five or six years ago. (It replaced the pressboard computer table I bought for my Apple //c in 1985.) The desk features a recessed strage area designed for the CPU tower. There is a hole at the top for cable access (not large enough for even a small hand to pass through) which is of no utility for ventilation. So basically, I'm keeping my DP 1.4 in a wooden box, open only in the front. There is probably 1.5 to 2 inches on each side and maybe 6 inchs clearance on top (maybe an inch or two more.) It is hard to tell, but I think there is probably about 4 to 6 inches extra depth behind the CPU. Do I even have to ask if this is a bad idea vis a vis keeping the unit cool?

daedelgt
Mar 18, 2003, 03:57 PM
I'm going to have to go with "probably" ;)

Cut a little slit or hole in the front near where the intakes are and cut a hole near the back where the fans come out. That should provide some nice airflow.

Foxer
Mar 18, 2003, 04:01 PM
The front is open, no cover or door whatsoever. It's just that that is the only opening. Maybe I will cut a hole in the back, though.

daedelgt
Mar 18, 2003, 04:23 PM
That would probably be best. Without that hole the intakes are likely sucking in hot air.

My god, I just applied car knowledge to computers :eek:

bousozoku
Mar 18, 2003, 04:24 PM
For a G3 machine, I would say it's adequate. For a dual G4, I don't think so. I would certainly get a couple of themometers to put just outside the computer until I was satisfied with the temperatures all around it.