Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisCan04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2003
:confused:

A girl on my floor is having problems with her imac and i was wondering if you had any suggestions as to how to approach repairing it. _ she does not know what software she has on it. _

when starting up the mac gets to the blue start up screen and stops loading the OS. _I have run Disk First Aid from the cd and upon varifying and repairing the disk(unsucessfully) i was given the following red error messages:

invalid Volume directory count (should be 20878 instead of 20879)
Invlalid volume file count (should be 84929 instead of 84930)
invalid volume directory count (it should be 20879 instead of 20878)
missing thread record (id= 73258)
Overlapped extent allocation( file 725516d)
Overlapped extent allocation( file 725517d)

when i varified and repaired the disk permissions there were no errors that came up in red so i took there to be no major errors there. _

I am out of idea's for how to fix this. she also wants to know if there is a way for her to back up her school work in the case of a reformating
any assistance anyone could provide me in solving her computer problem would be greatly appreciated. _

thank you very much

Mac til death

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2002
Memphis
A friend of mine who is at college has the 800 mhz 17" iMac, and he had the exact same problem. He took it to the Saddle Creek Apple Store to see if the people there could help, but some guy who works there ran Disk First Aid and blew him off.

I wish that I would have had a chance to look at it before he took it up to the Apple Store and Apple Care b/c he reformatted the hard drive and now he tells me he's having all kinds of problems.

It really sucks because (1) he's a switcher who (2) bought his iMac right before Apple released the new 1 Ghz model and (3) I'm the one that he asked for advice when looking to buy.

The Apple Care people said there was some flaw in the hard drive, (but I wish he would have given me a crack at it because I'm sure Disk Warrior could have done something) and they instructed him to wipe the whole drive. (Why they didn't want him to do an archive and install, I don't know)

His latest problem is after reformatting his hard drive, he can't get updates from Software Update, nor can he install any updates he gets from Apple's website.

I still haven't had a chance to look at it since he lives about 45 minutes away, and I hate doing Tech Support over the phone/computer.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The first three disk errors could be repaired by Norton Disk Doctor, Drive 10, or another file system repair utility. I don't know about the other three since I've never seen those.

As far as backing up, while using a repair utility, you should be able to access the data on the hard drive and write it to another drive such as a portable Zip drive or FireWire drive. You could also put the machine into FireWire target disk mode attached to another FireWire-enabled machine and pull the things off the troubled drive.

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
Only use Norton as a last resort - I had HD issues lately it only makes things worse.

As far as backup is concerned if you can access the drive and have another drive to backup onto I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner.

Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.