Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Nevermind.

Seriously. I've never been so humiliated in my entire life.

I make one simple suggestion and everyone ridicules me.

Now I look like a fracking pervert or something.

I have no intention of hitting on anyone here.

This just goes to show me never to suggest anything to you people again. Geez.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Great thing no one on the internet lies about their identity....

internet_dog.jpg

B

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i think this is a good idea. i've read a few posts where ladies have been mistaken for gents. i can't really see how it could be bad.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
pianoman said:
i can't really see how it could be bad.
It could potentially be a Bad Thing™ if it leads to some of our lady members attracting unwelcome attention from oddballs – mind you, if it's an open choice as to whether or not you declare your gender then it's up to the individual to decide.

Of course, you can already let others know your gender easily – contribute to the site and everyone can clearly see if you're a Demi-God or Goddess... ;)

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Jaffa Cake said:
It could potentially be a Bad Thing™ if it leads to some of our lady members attracting unwelcome attention from oddballs – mind you, if it's an open choice as to whether or not you declare your gender then it's up to the individual to decide.

Of course, you can already let others know your gender easily – contribute to the site and everyone can clearly see if you're a Demi-God or Goddess... ;)

If they get unwelcome attention there's always the "Ignore button" and "Report button" strategy. I think this is a good idea.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
Jaffa Cake said:

good point... but i think there are ways to divert the unwanted attention. and who's to say that the men wouldn't attract unwanted attention?

like you said, if it is an option, than the user can decide. if you contribute so much, you could choose to be labeled as "contributor" instead of demi-god or demi-goddess. but, again, this is up to the user.

i maintain that is a good idea.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
It should include a third option with a blank textbox for these who don't like fitting into pigeonholes, preferring to roll their own gender description.

-Tomato is a Plant that Grows in Soil.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Isn't there enough social pressure to gender oneself? To "choose your category?"

I don't think we need to impose gender categories (and I'd assume not choosing a gender would become a defacto sense of exclusion) in a largely anonymous space where individuals are currently open to work through their own (un)gendered identities.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
If people want to have their genders known, they can make it clear in other ways - either through their posts, by contributing and becoming a "Demi-Goddess", or by posting pics in the pics thread. Why push the idea of revealing one's gender?

Although I do like that a guy wants it so that it makes it easier to see who the women are...;)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I agree with the dude110, we havent needed sex in titles before? why now? I guess its good for those younger swingers;) but I dont think it matters much in a Macforum what your sex happens to be just as I dont think we need to hear the constant look at me im gay stuff. Its a Mac Forum not a pick up forum or gender forum.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
What about our sexual orientation?

Straight, Gay, Bi-Sexual (S,G,B) -- could potentially ward off embarrassing moments of flirtation among MR members. (or make it easier for hook-ups ;))

L

Lau

And we could do an attractiveness rating, taste in music, likes and dislikes, favourite food, family history, and much more.

Or not.

I think the signature space and profile information has plenty of space for expressing of whatever information a member sees fit, and that could include gender if its important to you.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I think just to be thorough, perhaps we could initiate a hostile takeover of MySpace, and then just merge their personal data into the forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Though not officially a poll, I'd vote "No."

I don't see the value. If you're curious to know the gender association of another member, why don't you ask them? Are we that quick to judge someone based on their gender?

Despite being online, MR is a community, and I cannot imagine how building walls to divide us adds any value to the community.

--------------------------------------------

PS: I also don't understand why people validate their posts with their gender.
ReanimationLP said:
For the record though, I am a male. :D
So for the record, I'm male too... and I'm straight... :rolleyes: Why does this matter?

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
That happens to me all the time. Doesn't bother me a whole lot but I guess if the option was there I'd use it.

pianoman said:
i think this is a good idea. i've read a few posts where ladies have been mistaken for gents. i can't really see how it could be bad.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
BlizzardBomb said:
If they get unwelcome attention there's always the "Ignore button" and "Report button" strategy. I think this is a good idea.

Still having it come is freaking creepy, though.

On my flickr, I keep getting hand fetishists sending me message.

I finally had to block one guy who kept telling me "you have beautiful hairy arms!!"

Even though it's the internet, it gives me the heebie jeebies.

Unwanted attention should stay unreceived.

I'm not saying that having a gender indicator under your location will automatically cause it, but if it happens once, that's too often.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Half the fun is guessing if the cute girl in the avatar is really that person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.