PDA

View Full Version : CoreData and CocoaBindings question

Soulstorm
Aug 14, 2006, 05:32 AM
Can someone please explain me what are Cocoa Bindings and Core Data? How can I use them?

I have 2 books for Cocoa programming: Cocoa Programming (Anguish, Buck, Yacktman) and Learning Cocoa with Objective-C. None of them tells anything about CoreData or Cocoabindings.

Can someone provide me with information or any link that might help me? Any book recommendation is also welcome.

caveman_uk
Aug 14, 2006, 07:50 AM
I have 2 books for Cocoa programming: Cocoa Programming (Anguish, Buck, Yacktman) and Learning Cocoa with Objective-C. None of them tells anything about CoreData or Cocoabindings.

They won't be in the first book as that's quite old, bindings might be in edition 2 of the second book. Bindings were introduced in 10.3 and Core Data in 10.4.

Basically bindings are a way of removing a lot of the boring code you'd otherwise have to write to get a user interface to work. It's especially useful for things like master-detail views. IMO you can't replace all UI boilerplate code with it but when what you want to do fits with what it expects, it can save a lot of code.

Core Data is a way of handing off data storage to cocoa frameworks. It supports three different storage methods including an SQL lite database. I've not had a chance to use it yet personally but it looks pretty funky.

There are (albeit pretty basic) tutorials for both on CocoaDevCentral (http://cocoadevcentral.com/)