PDA

View Full Version : Justin Long on Apple Ads

MacRumors
Aug 14, 2006, 09:45 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

LA Times interviews (http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-ca-long23jul23,0,1268414.story?track=tottext) Justin Long who plays the "Mac guy" on Apple's recent ad campaign.

Justin Long comments on his involvement in Apple's ads and his increasing recognition from the Apple ads:

But now, as he prepares to ratchet up his film career .... he is fending off computer geeks who either find his Mac guy righteous or maddening.

According to the article, while only seven spots have currently aired, there are almost 20 more that will be airing. The Get a Mac campaign (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060501211004.shtml) kicked off in May of 2006.

spicyapple
Aug 14, 2006, 09:46 AM
I find it amazing he's never used a computer before doing the Mac ads. But he uses a Mac now, and that's all that counts. :)

rockthecasbah
Aug 14, 2006, 09:52 AM
yay, 20 more ads still! I wonder when the next will st art airing :rolleyes:

rubberduck007
Aug 14, 2006, 09:52 AM
What about the PC guy? Is he now a Mac user? :D

Tha_Sylent1
Aug 14, 2006, 09:53 AM
I'm digging those commercials...;)

uv23
Aug 14, 2006, 09:53 AM
Worst Apple ads ever. You attract more flies with sugar than vinegar, and Apple's all about the vinegar.

MSchen01
Aug 14, 2006, 10:00 AM
Oh yea, that evidence is so convincing...sugar for flies, wow. It definitely still applies to humans and this situation as all metaphorical cliches are so undeniably true

mdntcallr
Aug 14, 2006, 10:02 AM
hah! actors!

Ace Pumpkin
Aug 14, 2006, 10:03 AM
Sheesh, these computer geeks never heard of acting? My friend knows an actor in a herpes drug commercial who doesn't have herpes but says he does in the ad (how awkward would that be!).

As nearly all of you know, Justin Long isn't responsible for what he says in the ad. C'mon, think about it, is he really a Mac computer? OK, I will admit that John Hodgman, the fellow playing the PC, said that he was a computer on The Daily Show....

Anyway, Long will do fine with his movie career, no doubt.

uv23
Aug 14, 2006, 10:12 AM
Oh yea, that evidence is so convincing...sugar for flies, wow. It definitely still applies to humans and this situation as all metaphorical cliches are so undeniably true
Of course it applies. Your assinine response has me thinking you're a jerk. Had you responded in a positive manner, even if disagreeing, my opinion of you would be entirely different. How's that for a simple real life example? Positivity is always preferable to negativity.

ro2nie
Aug 14, 2006, 10:22 AM
Yay! 20 more ads

Oh here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjpn3L3bSJQ&mode=related&search=) I found some new "get a mac" ads

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 14, 2006, 10:24 AM
Worst Apple ads ever. You attract more flies with sugar than vinegar, and Apple's all about the vinegar.

Meh, it was effective enough to get in the LA Times...

...the only reason why I didn't like the campaign at first was because I thought it was dull and everyone would pass it by as if it were just another commercial. But according to this article, it sounds like it has generated some definite interest...which, imo, is a good thing.

Buschmaster
Aug 14, 2006, 10:25 AM
Of course it applies. Your assinine response has me thinking you're a jerk. Had you responded in a positive manner, even if disagreeing, my opinion of you would be entirely different. How's that for a simple real life example? Positivity is always preferable to negativity.
But don't you think everyone is frustrated by the little things that the ads pick apart? And anyone who is is anyone who may potentially switch.

I think it's brilliant.

jellybean
Aug 14, 2006, 10:26 AM
From the interview:

"I had a guy come up to me, in my face, saying, 'You think you're so cool? You're not cool' and I'm saying to him, 'Dude, it's a commercial.'"

Anyone else from england think of Michael Winner when they read this bit? :D

aegisdesign
Aug 14, 2006, 10:36 AM

And even more flies with ****. But who wants flies?

Abulia
Aug 14, 2006, 10:53 AM
Interesting article on how the Apple ads are turning off potential buyers in the recent InfoWorld. I blogged my thoughts on the campaign and WWDC here (http://www.donmappin.com/?p=189).

CEAbiscuit
Aug 14, 2006, 10:53 AM
The guy should just stick to Dodgeball.

spicyapple
Aug 14, 2006, 10:55 AM
He was really good in Galaxy Quest. That's why when I saw him in the Apple ad, he looked strangely familiar. :)

Super Macho Man
Aug 14, 2006, 11:05 AM
But don't you think everyone is frustrated by the little things that the ads pick apart? And anyone who is is anyone who may potentially switch.

I think it's brilliant.
The problem is that the ads don't make fun of PCs, they make fun of the people who use PCs as nerdy, boring, stupid types, compared to the people who use Macs as hip, trendy, urban-cool. People put (what they think is) a lot of research into their PC purchases and if someone comes along and tells them they just made the wrong choice in a very snarky, sarcastic way, it can provoke two responses: 1) humiliation, or 2) anger (ego self-defense). Neither of which are good.

These Mac ads, in addition to whatever popularity they've achieved, are stirring up a lot of Mac hatred.

I cannot stand the "Mac guy" myself. He makes me want to switch to a PC.

LordJohnWhorfin
Aug 14, 2006, 11:16 AM
You thought they would have learned with "Lemmings", back in the '80s. You don't gain customers by antagonizing them and telling them they're stupid. The big problem with these "hello, I'm a Mac" commercials is that they're an easy target for parodies. It's a sometimes subtle line to cross, and I'm not sure these "hello, I'm a Mac" commercials are completely on one side, but still, it's all about perception, and if it makes PC users angry, it's probably worth taking note...

One of the most to-the-point Apple commercials aired back 10 years or so ago, it was called "dinosaurs", and showed a dad struggling with DOS/Windows issues (you'd hear him mutter "command.com, autoexec.bat, config.sys, IRQ...") while promising his kid he'd be able to see dinosaurs. After a while, the kid gets up and tells the dad he's going to his friend's house. When the dad asks why, the kid replies "he's got a Mac".

What I'd like Apple to articulate in commercials is, when you buy a PC, that's what you get. When you buy a Mac, you get a Mac and a PC for the same price, what is there to think about?

dextertangocci
Aug 14, 2006, 11:34 AM
I LOVE THE APPLE ADS!!!!!

THEY ARE THE BEST ADS EVER!!!!:cool: :D :D :D :D :cool:

I love the way they make windoze peecees seem like useless boxes, that just take up space in your house, and are only good for paperweights (which is very true:D )

rreichenfeld
Aug 14, 2006, 11:39 AM
I love the ads, but the credit goes to the director of the ads. This Justin Long fellow shouldn't be the topic of conversaition. Actuallly the Windows guys is much cooler, he is John Hodgman the author of "The Area's of my Expertise". He also appears on The Daily Show with John Stewart regularly.

I'm not dissing Long, but there are just other people who should be recognized before him.

BanjoBanker
Aug 14, 2006, 11:40 AM
I have had several co-workers come by my office to ask me about Macs since the ads started to air. Two have made the switch and are rippingly happy about it. I hear comments like " iPhoto really does see my camera and open when I plug the USB cord in" and " Mail is so much easier than the e-mail on my PeeCee was" all the time. I believe that anyone who feels antagonized by the ads really needs to take a close look at themselves. After all. they are only ads. I have yet to meet a hard core Windows user who has taken offense at the ads. Our IT guys here are always razing me about Macs, but they think the ads are cool. I like to remind out IT director that he sort of looks like the PeeCee guy. In my humble opinion, the vast majority of folks out there realize that these are ADVERTISEMENTS and do not take any offense.

spicyapple
Aug 14, 2006, 11:46 AM
When Apple aired those Intel ads of the Intel fab plant talking about dull PCs, a lot of PC users got angry over that. There was quite a backlash against Apple when they do negative advertising like that, simply making PC users look stupid (which they are of course ;)). It harkens back to the days, post-1984 ad, when they shown PC users as lemmings walking off a cliff. Hehe. :)

WaRrK
Aug 14, 2006, 12:09 PM
From the interview:

Anyone else from england think of Michael Winner when they read this bit? :D
I hadn't but that just wont get out of my head now!! :D

Daringescape
Aug 14, 2006, 12:13 PM
The the people who are "offended" are the only ones you will hear about in the media. They dont want to report on happy stuff/people it doesnt get ratings.

SteveRichardson
Aug 14, 2006, 12:37 PM
oh GOD, 20?!

please make it stop...

Meh, it was effective enough to get in the LA Times...

...the only reason why I didn't like the campaign at first was because I thought it was dull and everyone would pass it by as if it were just another commercial. But according to this article, it sounds like it has generated some definite interest...which, imo, is a good thing.

effective does not mean good. ever heard of negative attention?

those ads suck...admit it. they are AWFUL.

(bring back the feiss)

freeny
Aug 14, 2006, 12:40 PM
Elitist elitists:rolleyes:

centauratlas
Aug 14, 2006, 12:43 PM
I find it amazing he's never used a computer before doing the Mac ads. But he uses a Mac now, and that's all that counts. :)

The funny thing is that on Leno last week (week of Aug 7) he said he didn't care what he used - I don't recall his exact quotation. He was somewhat amusing on there with stories about people coming up to him.

BobVB
Aug 14, 2006, 12:51 PM
No it won't convert the PC fanboys or the increasingly popular 'I can be offended quicker than you can' crowd but I really doubt those are the target audience. The ads are humorous and hit exactly the kind of audience from which 'switchers' come from - those dissatisfied with their PC experience.

Apple isn't trying to take over the entire computer market - way too many people you wouldn't want as customers in that crowd. Just getting the kind that do find the commercials humorous and 'on the mark' with the added controversy the commercials themselves spawn is probably more than enough. Look at this thread - if I'd were leaning towards Macs and ran into the PC sourpusses here I'd get one just to provoke them further. Humorless people need to be taunted and provoked at every opportunity - they will either grow or explode, both steps up.

freeny
Aug 14, 2006, 12:52 PM
Interesting article on how the Apple ads are turning off potential buyers in the recent InfoWorld. I blogged my thoughts on the campaign and WWDC here (http://www.donmappin.com/?p=189).
Apparently Apple is turning on more then it is turning off if you judge by their rising market share.

You cant make everyone happy. You also cant deny the adds are working.

Using the ploy where you show your cool, hip and better then the competition is an advertising angle that has been both used for decades as well as working to sell your product-

Pepsi vs. Coke (Pepsi was a smigeon of what Coke was before they began poking fun at Coke)
Chevy vs. Ford (Talk to any one who is an American truck enthusiest and they will be on one side or the other. Chevy and Ford have been prodding each other forever)

Burger King vs McDonalds vs Wendy's (Wheres the beef? Was one of the biggest ad campains ever and all it did was make fun of the competition)

I could go on and on but I hope you get the point

If you are going to judge Apple by its ads and not its products you are completely missing the point. I suggest you protest and go out and switch to a pc.

laidbackliam
Aug 14, 2006, 01:01 PM
When Apple aired those Intel ads of the Intel fab plant talking about dull PCs, a lot of PC users got angry over that. There was quite a backlash against Apple when they do negative advertising like that, simply making PC users look stupid (which they are of course ;)).

that ad was directed at apples base customer though. not all the new ones they plan on getting.

peharri
Aug 14, 2006, 01:22 PM
...if you're selling soap.

If you're selling computer platforms though, it's a major mistake. The days of the Amiga may be long behind us, but people do still feel strongly about their choice of computer, they do become personally attached to what they got, and this isn't like the car industry where there are so many manufacturers you can do a little spoofing of your competitors without anyone feeling it's directed at them.

Car analogies are old hat so if you'll forgive me, I'll use a sports analogy instead. I don't really know sports, except to know that fans of teams tend to be just as irrational as fans of computer platforms. By which I mean the entire spectrum of fandom tends to be represented. But everyone does, in the end, whether it's a team or a computer platform, end up opinionated and either loving or hating it.

Imagine the following. You're Apple's ad agency, and you've been hired by the Reds, the local sports team. A few miles away is the home of the Blues, and in your town, the Reds make up the team affiliation of about 80% of the population, with the Blues making up the other 20%. There's a degree of rivalry between the teams.

The Reds want more people coming to their stadiums. They need increased revenue ticket sales. The only people to attract now are the Blues. The Blues obviously like your sport, otherwise they wouldn't have chosen a team in the first place, but they're not willing to consider, as yet, seeing Red team games. How do you attract Blue supporters?

If you're Apple's ad agency, your ad goes something like:

Blue: "I'm a blue player"
Red: "And I'm a red player"
Blue: "Duh. I can kick this ball, duh, look" (*kicks at ball several times, finally actually hitting it the 7th time*)
Red: *smugly bounces a ball on knee* "Red scored the highest last season, and we're consistantly the best team"
Blue: "Hey! Hey, watch this" *attempts to balance ball on nose, ball consistantly rolling off and away. Blue chases after ball*
Red: *Kicks ball up, bounces on knee, headbutts it, and catches it with one hand behind him* "We have some really skilled players"

(Ad continues ad-nausium. By which I mean it's an ad that makes you nauseous.)

Now, another approach might be to run an ad that consists of a bunch of shots from your stadium. You show some pretty good playing, stuff people will find impressive and will have wished they saw. You show the Reds most often, but, hey, there are two teams in every game. In other words, instead of taking sides based upon the team, you show people that if they come to your stadium, they're going to have a good time. They're going to see some impressive playmanship. Even if it's not their team, there's reason for them to want to go and see the next game.

Which type of ad would sway you? Which type of ad would get you to go to a stadium owned by your team's rival?

The current "I'm a Mac" series doesn't work because it appeals to fanboism, but in doing so, it also ends up being fanboism's victim. It doesn't appeal to PC owners, it just cements existing Mac user's sense of superiority. Except me. I cringe every time I see them.

freeny
Aug 14, 2006, 01:33 PM
You are wrong.
Proven by Apples rising market share.;)

You cant keep saying that these ads are hurting apple if they keep selling more and more computers.
It makes no sense.:confused:

I dont find the Apple guy smug at all. I find him very confident and sure of himself.

SteveRichardson
Aug 14, 2006, 01:37 PM
You are wrong.

You cant keep saying that these ads are hurting apple if they keep selling more and more computers.
It makes no sense.:confused:

Not because of these commercials.

freeny
Aug 14, 2006, 01:40 PM
Then by what? Thes ads certainly arent hurting Apple.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 14, 2006, 01:41 PM

Honestly, neither of us is a marketing guru. However, we both do know a few things:

1) Apple's market share has been increasing recently (simultaneously with its Intel transition and introduction of new ads)

2) Apple recently claimed that it believes market share has been increasing partially because of these ads at its recent quarterly report.

3) Apple has committed millions of dollars to both developing these ads and paying for them to be seen on both popular television programming and internet websites.

I'm sure Apple and its marketing team knows better than we do - they wouldn't keep showing these ads if they believed they had a negative effect on the marketplace.

Then by what? Thes ads certainly arent hurting Apple.

Exactly - enlighten us. How do you know why its marketshare has increased as of late? Neither me nor freeny claim that its SOLELY because of the ads - but how can you prove that the ads haven't convinced 1 single switcher...?

i.Feature
Aug 14, 2006, 02:04 PM

Imagine the following. You're Apple's ad agency, and you've been hired by the Reds, the local sports team. A few miles away is the home of the Blues, and in your town, the Reds make up the team affiliation of about 80% of the population, with the Blues making up the other 20%. There's a degree of rivalry between the teams.

The Reds want more people coming to their stadiums. They need increased revenue ticket sales. The only people to attract now are the Blues. The Blues obviously like your sport, otherwise they wouldn't have chosen a team in the first place, but they're not willing to consider, as yet, seeing Red team games. How do you attract Blue supporters?

If you're Apple's ad agency, your ad goes something like:

Blue: "I'm a blue player"
Red: "And I'm a red player"
Blue: "Duh. I can kick this ball, duh, look" (*kicks at ball several times, finally actually hitting it the 7th time*)
Red: *smugly bounces a ball on knee* "Red scored the highest last season, and we're consistantly the best team"
Blue: "Hey! Hey, watch this" *attempts to balance ball on nose, ball consistantly rolling off and away. Blue chases after ball*
Red: *Kicks ball up, bounces on knee, headbutts it, and catches it with one hand behind him* "We have some really skilled players"

(Ad continues ad-nausium. By which I mean it's an ad that makes you nauseous.)

Now, another approach might be to run an ad that consists of a bunch of shots from your stadium. You show some pretty good playing, stuff people will find impressive and will have wished they saw. You show the Reds most often, but, hey, there are two teams in every game. In other words, instead of taking sides based upon the team, you show people that if they come to your stadium, they're going to have a good time. They're going to see some impressive playmanship. Even if it's not their team, there's reason for them to want to go and see the next game.

Which type of ad would sway you? Which type of ad would get you to go to a stadium owned by your team's rival?

The current "I'm a Mac" series doesn't work because it appeals to fanboism, but in doing so, it also ends up being fanboism's victim. It doesn't appeal to PC owners, it just cements existing Mac user's sense of superiority. Except me. I cringe every time I see them.

I disagree totally. People buy superiority. Thats what a good portion of the population wants. Thats why peop;le buy designer clothes. Thats why people buy fancy cars. Thats why people buy expensive jewelery. Thats why people stay at 5 star hotels. People want to feel like they are better than everyone else or they've made better choices.

Not everyone of course. But there are alot.

SteveRichardson
Aug 14, 2006, 02:14 PM
Exactly - enlighten us. How do you know why its marketshare has increased as of late? Neither me nor freeny claim that its SOLELY because of the ads - but how can you prove that the ads haven't convinced 1 single switcher...?

I'm not claiming to say that these ads have hurt or helped boost the market shares...I'm only saying that I have only heard negative things about them.

I feel embarrassed watching them.

I personally believe that the market share has risen because of the intel switch. The ads happened to come out at the same time so it's impossible to know how they've affected the market share, but either way I really don't like them. It's not the actors either... definitely the elitist script.

I like that Shaun White ad where he narrates what he does with his computer and this stunt guy (you can only see his torso) is reaching and grabbing at nothing that was edited later to appear as if what he was grabbing at were his folders/documents/songs/etc... Pretty clever. And no snobbishness (yeah that word rocks) either.

Did I mention I like Ellen Feiss?

SteveRichardson
Aug 14, 2006, 02:43 PM
I disagree totally. People buy superiority. Thats what a good portion of the population wants. Thats why peop;le buy designer clothes. Thats why people buy fancy cars. Thats why people buy expensive jewelery. Thats why people stay at 5 star hotels. People want to feel like they are better than everyone else or they've made better choices.

Porsche never created a commercial with a dude representing a Porsche telling a dude representing a Hyundai that all Porsche vehicles are superior to Hyundai vehicles.

Yves Saint Laurent never created a commercial with a dude representing Yves Saint Laurent telling a dude representing clothing sold at Wal Mart that all Yves Saint Laurent clothing is superior to Wal Mart's clothing.

The Four Seasons Hotel never created a commercial with a dude representing The Four Seasons telling a dude representing Days Inn that The Four Seasons Hotel is superior to the Days Inn.

All of these "top-of-the-line" companies create advertisements showing their products in the best light possible, without resorting to childish arguments of who's better.

kalisphoenix
Aug 14, 2006, 02:47 PM
[H]e is fending off computer geeks who either find his Mac guy righteous or maddening.

The fact that someone was apparently paid to write this makes me weep.

peharri
Aug 14, 2006, 02:48 PM
You are wrong.

Nonsense. Apple is selling a lot of computers right now because Jobs Osbourned the entire PowerPC range just over a year ago by announcing the switch to Intel. For each model of Mac, sales were artificially low before the Intel version was launched, and artificially higher after.

Additionally, people are happer buying Macs if they know they can switch back to Windows if it doesn't work out. One of the major barriers to owning a Mac has been removed by the Intel switch (whatever my misgivings on the subject.)

It's simply ridiculous to argue that the ads have helped sales. Sales would be much higher now than they would have been six months ago even if Apple had stopped advertising completely. The question is whether they would be even higher if they weren't insulting their target audience. The answer, of course, is yes.

Abulia
Aug 14, 2006, 02:52 PM
You are wrong.

It makes no sense.:confused:Sure, they're selling more computers this quarter in spite of the ads.

They (the ads) have only been out, what, two months? Sales for the last quarter were in the bag before those commericals came out. Let's see how the next quarter is?

peharri
Aug 14, 2006, 02:54 PM

How is the above disagreeing with me? You're saying people like to feel like they've bought superiority. And yet here's Apple coming along telling everyone that they haven't. Not only that they haven't, but that their choice was bad for a lot of reasons that, quite honestly, are untrue and that the buyers know are untrue.

Now, of course, you could be saying that Apple should sell itself as the superior platform. But that doesn't require being insulting to do that. You can easily say "These are the benefits of Macintosh" without saying "...and anyone who doesn't buy one is a gray, boring, clone." Just as my game example: you want the "Blues" to feel that it's worth going to the Red stadium because they will have a good time. Because they will see a quality game. You'll not get them there if you insult their team. If you ridicule their choices. If you ridicule them.

I've met too many people who find Apple's ads insulting and contrary to their own experience to believe that these ads are helping them in any way. Right now, Apple can sell itself as a great platform. Instead, it chooses to alienate its target audience. That's bad.

freeman24
Aug 14, 2006, 03:01 PM
I think the Apple adverts are ingenious! (did i spell that right?) i have to admit it made me turn to apple.

Snowy_River
Aug 14, 2006, 03:04 PM

I strongly disagree. These ads are based on humor. Humor seems more like a sweet enticement than a sour one.

Oh, and by the way, it's honey, not sugar.

I'm not claiming to say that these ads have hurt or helped boost the market shares.

Well, actually you are:

That seems pretty much like your denying the possibility that they have helped, explicitly.

...I'm only saying that I have only heard negative things about them.

Well, you know, that's your experience and your issue. I find them funny. Everyone I know finds them funny. And that includes a number of PC users, including IT professionals. The only person who didn't quite let himself laugh openly about them is my dad, and he has a personal bias against Macs.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 14, 2006, 03:11 PM
Nonsense. Apple is selling a lot of computers right now because Jobs Osbourned the entire PowerPC range just over a year ago by announcing the switch to Intel. For each model of Mac, sales were artificially low before the Intel version was launched, and artificially higher after.

Additionally, people are happer buying Macs if they know they can switch back to Windows if it doesn't work out. One of the major barriers to owning a Mac has been removed by the Intel switch (whatever my misgivings on the subject.)

It's simply ridiculous to argue that the ads have helped sales. Sales would be much higher now than they would have been six months ago even if Apple had stopped advertising completely. The question is whether they would be even higher if they weren't insulting their target audience. The answer, of course, is yes.

They sold how many macs last quarter? Over a million, right? How many boot camp downloads have they had....?

Of course the ads have helped sales - the question is, how much. Are you seriously implying that no advertising WHATSOEVER would increase sales...? :rolleyes:

Mal
Aug 14, 2006, 03:18 PM
Considering Apple just announced at WWDC that 50% of the Macs purchased in their retail stores were people that were new to Macs, I'd say that's a pretty good indication that the ads aren't hurting them, at least. I personally love the ads, as does my fiance. They're witty, funny, and rather annoying to the hard-core PC fanboys, which I think is a very good thing. I don't know how many times I've heard very similar arguments (the ones that John Hodgeman gives in the ads) from my hard-core PC fanboy friends. I also have friends that think they need to warn me about every "virus" that comes out, and I'm always sending them back messages both telling them that the messages they're getting are hoaxes (I've even given them the website to check them against, but they never learn) and also that I can't get any of the viruses they're worried about, but it seems they never get it. This ad campaign could do them a lot of good.

jW

foneschlomo
Aug 14, 2006, 03:37 PM
These brands do not have to overtly say that they are superior to a Kia, because that is accepted by most people. The average person invests more time thinking about cars, houses and clothing than they do about computers- face it, we're geeks. Apple is attempting to create, for themselves, a premium image that goes beyond people who are invested heavily in this kind of decision. Similar to when premium beers started hitting the market, or premium mens skin care products. Many people will tell you they prefer sam adams, though if pressed to tell you why it is better, many couldnt come up with good reasons (maybe taste). Same with Skin Care. I dont use the store brand stuff anymore, but I coudlnt tell you why the brand I use is really better- I know little about that stuff, so I have to go based on product claims. Most people arent that sensitive that they are going to cry when a commercial implies their purchase isnt as cool as someone elses.

Beer commercials do frequently point out that their competitors beers are crap- in a crowded market, you have to give customers hueristics. Computers are something that people put research into, but generally do not even understand what all of those things mean- trust me, I've been involved in many computer purchases for relatives and friends.

bowens
Aug 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
When Apple aired those Intel ads of the Intel fab plant talking about dull PCs, a lot of PC users got angry over that. There was quite a backlash against Apple when they do negative advertising like that, simply making PC users look stupid (which they are of course ;)). It harkens back to the days, post-1984 ad, when they shown PC users as lemmings walking off a cliff. Hehe. :)

I loved that ad. Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) talking about Apple computers. How much better can it get?

By the way, 24 is the most addicting show I've ever watched.

freeny
Aug 14, 2006, 03:56 PM

WOW! the evidence youve accumulated is astounding:confused::rolleyes:

No advertising=more sales:confused: :eek:
Why are you pushing your opnions as fact?....

I agree with ready2switch below me

ready2switch
Aug 14, 2006, 04:03 PM
I know some Mac haters and I know some PC haters, and I don't believe the ads are focused on either. I think the ads are focused on people like myself, PC users who know the ins and outs and pitfalls of a life with Windows and understand just how frustrating and "un-fun" they can be. While they may seem condescending from some standpoints, I see it as being closer to self-depricating humor. Everyone knows that Windows has its quirks (or bugs or flaws, depending on which camp you are in), and that's what the ads play off of. What the ads do for me is make me want to research the OS alternative to Windows, and really find out if Mac is all it's cracked up to be.

The fact that Justin Long is getting caught up in the buzz and mistakenly thought of as a Mac Nerd just shows how idiotic the tv-watching public can be. If they don't understand that these are actors, how are they ever going to understand the commercial's premise: that Macs may be just what you, the frustrated Windows user, have been looking for.

Takeo
Aug 14, 2006, 04:15 PM

Actually... that's not true at all! I made a fruit fly trap last week with a small dish filled with balsamic vinegar and covered with saran wrap with little holes poked in it... I caught a whole SLEW of those buggers!!!

bankshot
Aug 14, 2006, 04:21 PM

Exactly. I find the Mac character to be very smug and condescending. I don't like being associated with that just because I choose to use Macs. I've talked to several people about the ads, and most find them to be offensive because of the elitist attitude. It's not just "Look at how great I am," but it's "Look at how crappy you are, too." Nobody likes being told they're crappy.

Some people I know just dismiss it as an ad for a product they'll never buy. A few told me they ultimately dismissed it before really considering the Mac argument because it seemed like all fluff and no substance (that seems to be a common perception among people who avoid Macs: that they are all about style and not substance). Other people said it actively made them want to do anything to hurt Apple - not only by not buying the products, but advising everyone they know to stay away as well.

I can't think of one person I've talked to who found the ads to be completely positive. The people I know who like Macs were all a bit uncomfortable like me, being stereotyped as smug and elitist.

The big problem with these "hello, I'm a Mac" commercials is that they're an easy target for parodies.

Yeah, they're easy to parody because they're made so simply. Same as the "switch" ads. Speaking of parodies, this one's my favorite:

http://joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyimages/817.jpg

:D

amin
Aug 14, 2006, 04:24 PM
And though the hip and trendy Urth Caffé on Main Street does have awesome soup, and he is very into soup, the line is prohibitively long so he suggests Mani's Bakery, which is just a few doors down, as an alternative.

That is one heck of a sentence!

hulugu
Aug 14, 2006, 05:05 PM
I'm not claiming to say that these ads have hurt or helped boost the market shares...I'm only saying that I have only heard negative things about them.

I personally believe that the market share has risen because of the intel switch. The ads happened to come out at the same time so it's impossible to know how they've affected the market share, but either way I really don't like them. It's not the actors either... definitely the elitist script.

I like that Shaun White ad where he narrates what he does with his computer and this stunt guy (you can only see his torso) is reaching and grabbing at nothing that was edited later to appear as if what he was grabbing at were his folders/documents/songs/etc... Pretty clever. And no snobbishness (yeah that word rocks) either.

Did I mention I like Ellen Feiss?

I don't think the Apple ads are elitist or snobish, however I do think the HP ads are very cool. By showing what the computer can do in a slick, sci-fiction way, the ads sell the HP computer in a way that the Mac vs. PC ads don't
If Apple's seeing increasing market-share it because they're finally trying to sell the computer and it's this ad presence that is working. The commercials' content doesn't really work, but only die-hard geeks can really get fired up for these commercials.
For Joe Sixpack, the commercials remind him that Mac exist, they're cool and they do neat stuff. And that's the good part.

The bad part is some people think they're being insulted, and some of those people will matter when it's time to buy a computer.

Apple should've gone the HP way, show how cool the computer is and stop mentioning the PC at all.

However, during WWDC, take a shovel to Microsoft is so inclined, that's a time to stir the troops into a fury.

hulugu
Aug 14, 2006, 05:11 PM
...I can't think of one person I've talked to who found the ads to be completely positive. The people I know who like Macs were all a bit uncomfortable like me, being stereotyped as smug and elitist.

If someone calls me smug or elitist because of these commercials I'll be forced to hurt them....Or at least sack their house with siege machines.

Apple Ads = Chiat Day/Apple Executives
Me != Chiat Day/Apple Executives

Therefore, Apple Ads != Me. I don't know why people cannot grasp this simple idea.

typecase
Aug 14, 2006, 05:12 PM
Speaking of parodies, this one's my favorite:

:D

One of my favorites too! :D

mrblah
Aug 14, 2006, 08:43 PM
The only people who like these ads are mac users. They make the zealots feel special and supperior which might have been the whole point. As said before, you never get customers by making fun of them. These ads only alienate POTENTIAL customers, thats not a success and its not brilliant. So far apple users are the only ones defending these ads as representing products rather than the people who use the products. If everyone else doesnt see it the same way then the ad is a failure no matter how much people argue, once the target audience misses the point then youve lost. Youll get absolutely nowhere asking "are these ads elistist?" on a mac forum, go ask it on a forum with a high number of PC users and Im sure the responses will be 100% different. Computers arent cheap, if you make fun of someone who spent a lot of money on something, something they probably like a lot, youll just make them defend themselves if you act like they made a stupid decision. I mean jeez, how is that not common sense?

While Im sure they made a few sales with the ads (or pushed a lot of people on the edge of getting a mac back over to the PC side), they could have made MUCH better ones that didnt make fun of potential customers. HP's commercials are good examples of how to sell a computer, they show celebrities and all the things they do on their laptop. Someone new to computers is going to see that ad much more favorably over the apple ad since it actually shows why they should get a computer rather than how stupid everyone else is for not having a mac.

The ads were well executed like usual, but the stupid idea strengthens the stereotype of apple user elitism. I think apple should try to fix that stereotype rather than keep reinforcing it. Instead of saying "hey dumbass, stop playing with calculator and get a mac" in a passive aggressive way, they could have said "pc's are cool but you might find that macs are better at a lot of things, check it out."

Jetson
Aug 14, 2006, 10:13 PM
I thought Justin Long was great in Jeepers Creepers, along with Gina Phillips (who played his sister) and of course Jonathan Breck (The Creeper).

That is one scary flick. :eek:

MacMyDay
Aug 15, 2006, 04:18 AM

I have to disagree with a lot of what you say, as you're looking it at (as you would, working in IT) from a purely technical point of view. Marketing does not work that way. What did Budweiser do? They made themselves the "fresh" beer, as all their beer would be on the shelves within 24 hours of leaving their factories. However, every single company does exactly the same thing - only you don't realise it. The mistake people make with these adverts is that they look at them, knowing the technical side of things, and wish they were present. When was the last time you saw a car advert that purely focused on the selling points? No longer are products being sold for their features, but for their story and lifestyle offering.

When IT experts criticise the campaigns, they're erroneously doing so - because they're not the target audience and never will be. When you read it in the New York Times, or an IT specialist magazine, then you'll read all about specs, performance and so on, but not on TV.

The adverts have resulted in a lot of media attention, so are they successful in that respect? I don't know, but the more people aware of your product, the more potential customers you have. It's like direct mail - if you hit them once, there's a very high chance they'll forget you, but if you follow it up with an e-mail, and then phone them, your conversion rate is greatly increased. If Apple follow-up these adverts with more, and then ultimately demonstrate other aspects of switching, it might prove incredibly successful.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2006, 05:12 AM
I hate these ads. Thankfully they have taken it off the Apple front page, it was getting to the point where I feared my Apple bookmark. Apart from them being irritating, negative, uninformative and dull, they do not travel well.

At least the dreadful "Shake 'n' Vac" adverts were dubbed into a local tongue when they played outside of the US.

intlplby
Aug 15, 2006, 06:31 AM
how about an ad that just urges users to ask their friends
something like this:

Buying a computer is a big investment, so before you make your next big investment ask yourself "do you want to be happy?"

if the answer is yes, then we recommend you ask your friends:

"do you use a mac or pc?"
"are you happy or frustrated with computers?"

i can't think about anything better than letting customers interview their own friends... it gets some buzz going and gets people talking publicly more

peharri
Aug 15, 2006, 10:58 AM
WOW! the evidence youve accumulated is astounding:confused::rolleyes:

No advertising=more sales:confused: :eek:

Want to quote where I said that? Perhaps you and the ready2switch can find a set of words in my comment that actually mean that. I can't. Not even in the parts you quoted.

What I've said are:

- Sales would be higher now than six months ago regardless of what advertising Apple did. No advertising, bad advertising, good advertising. The fact is that Apple's PowerPC line was Osbourned. People were waiting for Intel Macs. They weren't about to buy machines Steve Jobs was telling the world were obsolete.

- Apple's current advertising is bad. It insults its current target audience. If Apple wasn't insulting its target audience, sales would be higher.

It's easy. It's also blatantly obvious.

Why are you pushing your opnions as fact?....

I agree with ready2switch below me

I don't have an opinion on what an opnion is. If you meant "opinion" though, I suggest you avoid any further posting. After all, you wouldn't want to express your opinions would you? Doing so would be "pushing" them as facts, right?

peharri
Aug 15, 2006, 11:04 AM
I don't think the Apple ads are elitist or snobish, however I do think the HP ads are very cool. By showing what the computer can do in a slick, sci-fiction way, the ads sell the HP computer in a way that the Mac vs. PC ads don't
If Apple's seeing increasing market-share it because they're finally trying to sell the computer and it's this ad presence that is working. The commercials' content doesn't really work, but only die-hard geeks can really get fired up for these commercials.
For Joe Sixpack, the commercials remind him that Mac exist, they're cool and they do neat stuff. And that's the good part.

The bad part is some people think they're being insulted, and some of those people will matter when it's time to buy a computer.

Apple should've gone the HP way, show how cool the computer is and stop mentioning the PC at all.

However, during WWDC, take a shovel to Microsoft is so inclined, that's a time to stir the troops into a fury.

Hear hear!

Excellent examples of good advertising. Nothing about the HP ads insulted the target audience, stereotyped, or posted stuff the viewers knew was false (therefore ensuring distrust of the maker.)

There's so much that's good about the Mac, and the current ads hide those positive traits in favour of defining the Mac in terms of the PC and generating hostility at the same time.

I know a lot of PC users. I know geeks and non-geeks alike. I can't say I've met anyone who thought better of the Mac after watching the "I'm a Mac" ads, and I've met several that thought worse of it. And geeks are telling their families and friends, at the moment, that the ads are misleading, and Apple's reputation is suffering as a result.

hulugu
Aug 16, 2006, 12:34 AM
Hear hear!

Excellent examples of good advertising. Nothing about the HP ads insulted the target audience, stereotyped, or posted stuff the viewers knew was false (therefore ensuring distrust of the maker.)

There's so much that's good about the Mac, and the current ads hide those positive traits in favour of defining the Mac in terms of the PC and generating hostility at the same time.

I know a lot of PC users. I know geeks and non-geeks alike. I can't say I've met anyone who thought better of the Mac after watching the "I'm a Mac" ads, and I've met several that thought worse of it. And geeks are telling their families and friends, at the moment, that the ads are misleading, and Apple's reputation is suffering as a result.

I don't think for the general public the ads really do much, the emotional reaction to the ads is mostly confined to geeks and geek press. Really, for people looking for a computer any commercial about Apple, especially a beautiful and well-designed one, is a good thing and reminds them about the company and it's very cool systems.
But, I like the cool stuff aspect of HP's ads rather than the Mac vs. PC version of the 'Get a Mac' ads.

imnotatfault
Aug 19, 2006, 07:14 AM
The only people who like these ads are mac users. They make the zealots feel special and supperior which might have been the whole point. As said before, you never get customers by making fun of them. These ads only alienate POTENTIAL customers, thats not a success and its not brilliant. So far apple users are the only ones defending these ads as representing products rather than the people who use the products. If everyone else doesnt see it the same way then the ad is a failure no matter how much people argue, once the target audience misses the point then youve lost. Youll get absolutely nowhere asking "are these ads elistist?" on a mac forum, go ask it on a forum with a high number of PC users and Im sure the responses will be 100% different. Computers arent cheap, if you make fun of someone who spent a lot of money on something, something they probably like a lot, youll just make them defend themselves if you act like they made a stupid decision. I mean jeez, how is that not common sense?

While Im sure they made a few sales with the ads (or pushed a lot of people on the edge of getting a mac back over to the PC side), they could have made MUCH better ones that didnt make fun of potential customers. HP's commercials are good examples of how to sell a computer, they show celebrities and all the things they do on their laptop. Someone new to computers is going to see that ad much more favorably over the apple ad since it actually shows why they should get a computer rather than how stupid everyone else is for not having a mac.

The ads were well executed like usual, but the stupid idea strengthens the stereotype of apple user elitism. I think apple should try to fix that stereotype rather than keep reinforcing it. Instead of saying "hey dumbass, stop playing with calculator and get a mac" in a passive aggressive way, they could have said "pc's are cool but you might find that macs are better at a lot of things, check it out."

I think there's a lot wrong with the above. I know plenty of people who either don't care at all about computers or don't really care for Macs (my girlfriend, for example) who find them humorous.

MY TV Production students all think they're great advertising, technically sound, and the subtle humor (not elitist attitudes) that really convey humor to a broad crowd, even if you don't get all of the reasons why the in-jokes are there.

As far as asking a PC user a Mac-biased question, well that's just stupid. I could riff on how it's like pro-life forum and talking about choice, etc. but I'll just leave it at this.

Bottom line, which I think nearly everyone missed, is that they are commercials, they are silly, and no one should really take them too seriously. If Justin Long single-handedly turned you off to computing with Macs, then--I hate to say this--you are probably a d-bag.

ryanx27
Aug 27, 2006, 10:18 PM
There are a few good spoofs of the "I'm A Mac" commercials on You Tube. My favorite is the one where Mac and PC both make fun of Linux Guy:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-L-0s-7-Z0

APPLENEWBIE
Aug 27, 2006, 11:00 PM
I strongly disagree that these ads are elitist, or even snobbery. The point of the ads is that mac is different. HP can use demonstrations to show how, in a perfect world, their computers can do good stuff with windows. Apple has a different need. Apple does not build commodity computers. Apple is an ALTERNATIVE SYSTEM must differentiate itself compared to everything else out there. The need is to show that there IS a difference, and that Apple represents a very different way of working with computers.

HecubusPro
Aug 27, 2006, 11:57 PM
It's been exciting around the macrumors forums lately, but this has the be most uninteresting story I've seen on the site since I've started coming here. And in the short amount of time it's been posted, this thread has already grown to nearly 4 pages. :eek:

mahonmeister
Aug 28, 2006, 04:59 AM
I don't care to argue about the effectiveness of the adds. But I will say that the Angel/Devil one was kinda stupid. It didn't even advertise Macs. I think I am tiring of the format of the commercials. I would like to see one show just what can be done with OS X.

Markleshark
Aug 28, 2006, 05:20 AM
No it won't convert the PC fanboys or the increasingly popular 'I can be offended quicker than you can' crowd but I really doubt those are the target audience. The ads are humorous and hit exactly the kind of audience from which 'switchers' come from - those dissatisfied with their PC experience.

Apple isn't trying to take over the entire computer market - way too many people you wouldn't want as customers in that crowd. Just getting the kind that do find the commercials humorous and 'on the mark' with the added controversy the commercials themselves spawn is probably more than enough. Look at this thread - if I'd were leaning towards Macs and ran into the PC sourpusses here I'd get one just to provoke them further. Humorless people need to be taunted and provoked at every opportunity - they will either grow or explode, both steps up.

I'm glad I wasnt the only one thinking like that. But its weird how Bob's comment was almost passed by, maybe because its not what people wanted to hear? Everyone here isnt a part of the 'I can be offended quicker than you can' crowd are they?... I sure hope not.* Personally I think he's hit the nail on the head.

*No, I wasnt suggesting anyone actually is, but its rather looking that way...

brepublican
Aug 28, 2006, 01:18 PM
I don't care to argue about the effectiveness of the adds. But I will say that the Angel/Devil one was kinda stupid. It didn't even advertise Macs. I think I am tiring of the format of the commercials. I would like to see one show just what can be done with OS X.
I thought it was just me, but I am stumped by that one. Its kinda... just... stupid? :confused:

dsnort
Aug 31, 2006, 07:40 PM
I strongly disagree that these ads are elitist, or even snobbery. The point of the ads is that mac is different. HP can use demonstrations to show how, in a perfect world, their computers can do good stuff with windows. Apple has a different need. Apple does not build commodity computers. Apple is an ALTERNATIVE SYSTEM must differentiate itself compared to everything else out there. The need is to show that there IS a difference, and that Apple represents a very different way of working with computers.

As a recent switcher I can tell you the ads were very effective at delineating my concerns with Windows, and showing me that Mac might be the answer. ( Which, by the way, it was!)

EDIT: Nuts, I got censored

EDIT 2: Check that, they removed the post I responded too. It's a shame, I cleaned his clock! LOL