PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro Reviews and Video

MacRumors
Aug 14, 2006, 10:01 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

As the Mac Pro starts arriving in the hands of users, more reviews are starting to emerge about the latest Apple tower.

• Mac Pro Review (http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/macpro/) - Macintouch
• Mac Pro Review (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macpro.ars) - Arstechnica
• Video of Mac Pro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtaeM1T4ZRg&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emacworld%2Ecom%2Fweblogs%2Fmacword%2F2006%2F08%2Fmacprovideo%2Findex%2Ephp) - Macworld
• Mac Pro Benchmarks (http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/macprobench/index.php) - Macworld

From the Benchmarks article:

The standard configuration of the Mac Pro outperforms its PowerPC-based G5 predecessors by a wide margin, helping to justify Apple’s 2005 decision to switch to processors from Intel. What’s more, the system powered by two dual-core 2.66GHz Xeon chips narrowly missed becoming the first machine to ever record a Speedmark score of over 300.

amac4me
Aug 14, 2006, 10:03 AM
I expect more and more reviews to hit the wires over the next few weeks.

Unspeaked
Aug 14, 2006, 10:09 AM
"What’s more, the system powered by two dual-core 2.66GHz Xeon chips narrowly missed becoming the first machine to ever record a Speedmark score of over 300."

Which means the two dual-core 3.0Ghz Xeon chips would probably do *very* well...

kainjow
Aug 14, 2006, 10:14 AM
My friend works at Apple as a tech support rep, and he said they got a Mac Pro in and somebody selected every application in the Applications folder and opened them, and it was practically instant. :eek:

mdntcallr
Aug 14, 2006, 10:23 AM
I think the ArsTechnica writer has it right when he said that the graphics card is under-powered for a tower like the Mac Pro.

Apple could have done better there and installed bluetooth in every model.

aside from that, great computer.

MaxPower2k6
Aug 14, 2006, 10:23 AM
My friend works at Apple as a tech support rep, and he said they got a Mac Pro in and somebody selected every application in the Applications folder and opened them, and it was practically instant. :eek:

Yeah, I did that, too. 53 applications in the folder opened in about 45 seconds. This was a 2.66 with 3 gigs of RAM.

Can't wait for the ATI machines to start shipping so I can get mine...

danielwsmithee
Aug 14, 2006, 10:35 AM
I think the ArsTechnica writer has it right when he said that the graphics card is under-powered for a tower like the Mac Pro.

Apple could have done better there and installed bluetooth in every model.

aside from that, great computer.As long as they let you remove them as a BTO option. Many companies would not allow bluetooth, and many applications do not need a good graphics card. It would have driven up the price of the base config to put that in so I am OK with it the way it is and just upgraded to the X1900.

dcboucher
Aug 14, 2006, 10:52 AM
I found it interesting that no review has mentioned anything about the size of the case. Another generation that's not rack mountable? Oooh the inside is so spacious!!! Who cares. Cut us pro users an inch so we can get that 20.1" hunk of burnin' love into our industry standard 19" racks. Some of us travel with these beasts and custom cases leave out the flexibility we need.

ebuc
Aug 14, 2006, 11:25 AM
The hard drive bays sound just great as they screech out. :rolleyes: You think with Apple they would roll in and out on ball bearings. We'll just have to wait to Revolution B.

iGary
Aug 14, 2006, 11:27 AM
The hard drive bays sound just great as they screech out. :rolleyes: You think with Apple they would roll in and out on ball bearings. We'll just have to wait to Revolution B.

Wow, I am glad someone said something first (I automatically get pegged as a Mac pro hater because I have a Quad). I was really unimpressed with the screeching sheet metal, too.

truz
Aug 14, 2006, 11:37 AM
Why would you need ball bearing rollers for the hard drive bays? How often do you plan on taking them out??

iGary
Aug 14, 2006, 11:38 AM
Why would you need ball bearing rollers for the hard drive bays? How often do you plan on taking them out??

I think the point he is making is the drive carriers are reminiscent of the old sloppy PM G4's, not the new "refinement" the PM G5 offered.

xUKHCx
Aug 14, 2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I did that, too. 53 applications in the folder opened in about 45 seconds. This was a 2.66 with 3 gigs of RAM.

I did that with my iMac G5 1.8 ghz with 1 gb of ram, took 43 minutes to open all of my 170 applications.

Lets just say i am a student on his summer holidays without a job so nothing better to do.

Rich

ebuc
Aug 14, 2006, 11:50 AM

There's a bit of sarcasm in my suggestion even though I could imagine someone like Apple doing it. I would just not expect any part of an Apple computer to make loud screeching noises during any part of the "Apple Experience."

milo
Aug 14, 2006, 12:28 PM
Another generation that's not rack mountable?

That's a tiny niche within a tiny niche. Most people who want rackmount will just use the x-serve.

Very impressive batch of reviews, the only consistent complaint seems to be the video card. And since going to the next video card would just raise the price of the base model (with the cheap card available as a downgrade) I don't really see much difference either way.

omenamato
Aug 14, 2006, 01:10 PM

I did this with my ibook 1.2 Ghz and 256 ram 49 programs.

It beachvollied for a few hours and then the battery ran out.

iBunny
Aug 14, 2006, 03:47 PM
I did this with my ibook 1.2 Ghz and 256 ram 49 programs.

It beachvollied for a few hours and then the battery ran out.

lol

I am going to try this when I get home on my 2GHz Core Duo iMac / 2GB DDR2-667. Should be fairly fast. Deffinatly faster than my old 1.33Ghz G4 iBook.

As soon as the X1900XT becomes more available, I will get a Dual 3GHz Mac Pro w/ 4GB Ram.... Until then, I guess I can wait.

dan-o-mac
Aug 14, 2006, 04:22 PM
As long as they let you remove them as a BTO option. Many companies would not allow bluetooth, and many applications do not need a good graphics card. It would have driven up the price of the base config to put that in so I am OK with it the way it is and just upgraded to the X1900.

I don't understand your comment about many companies not allowing bluetooth. Isn't it standard on all other Apple computers?

greenstork
Aug 14, 2006, 05:34 PM
I found it interesting that no review has mentioned anything about the size of the case. Another generation that's not rack mountable? Oooh the inside is so spacious!!! Who cares. Cut us pro users an inch so we can get that 20.1" hunk of burnin' love into our industry standard 19" racks. Some of us travel with these beasts and custom cases leave out the flexibility we need.

As an aside, can anyone recommend a nice under desk or side-desk (underneath) mount for the Mac Pro? I have a 19.5" tall enclosure that I'm basically going to have to toss, which is a bummer since it had a side drawer with room for cables, CD's etc.

Multimedia
Aug 14, 2006, 05:43 PM
Nice Box. :D

Killyp
Aug 14, 2006, 06:23 PM
As an aside, can anyone recommend a nice under desk or side-desk (underneath) mount for the Mac Pro? I have a 19.5" tall enclosure that I'm basically going to have to toss, which is a bummer since it had a side drawer with room for cables, CD's etc.

Those MacPro handles sure do look like they could be flattened with a hammer! ;)

chatin
Aug 15, 2006, 03:59 AM
If you subtract the retail price of the CPU's the 2.6 costs around $1K. 60% of the price goes for hudge processing power.

My only problem is the price of the RAM. I've found another 1GB for $200 (2*512MB)

:rolleyes: :)

jicon
Aug 15, 2006, 06:48 PM
There is a great article on anandtech.com about the Mac Pro. No mention of speeds, but analyzes the configurations.

Highlights:

Video card is underclocked - though likely not a concern.

Memory should theoretically be installed in sets of four sticks on the Intel chipset. Note the stock RAM has heatsinks, and likely would be required on any RAM purchased in the future.

Still no support for hardware RAID5 on the Mac Pro.

Quad core coming this fall/winter.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2811

WildPalms
Aug 15, 2006, 07:56 PM
If you subtract the retail price of the CPU's the 2.6 costs around $1K. 60% of the price goes for hudge processing power.

My only problem is the price of the RAM. I've found another 1GB for $200 (2*512MB)

:rolleyes: :)

$200 for 1GB of FB ECC DIMMS? Thats FB ECC DIMMS, not standard DDR or otherwise...

McBain2
Aug 15, 2006, 09:04 PM
Why would you need ball bearing rollers for the hard drive bays?

Are you kidding? It's all ball bearings nowadays. Maybe you need a refresher course.

kosmo
Aug 15, 2006, 09:33 PM
I expect more and more reviews to hit the wires over the next few weeks.

Thanks, Captain Obvious!

piltupso
Aug 16, 2006, 02:57 AM
Anybody who got their Mac Pro had any problems? I ordered mine a few days ago and can't wait to get it. I am expecting to love it but am a little apprehensive as I don't usually buy anything from cars to computers in the early production runs.

Multimedia
Aug 17, 2006, 10:06 PM
Wow. I just studied the new AnandTech Mac Pro Review Part Two (http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2816&p=16) that came out yesterday. What a disappointment. They compare the Mac Pro to only two OLD 2004 single core Dual 2 and 2.5GHz PowerMacs. What a BUMMER. I can't believe they didn't have a Quad G5 to compare with. :mad: :(

I really want to see a set of benchmarks bewteen the 2GHz Mac Pro and the Quad G5. Please let us know if you find one. Thanks.

MacsAttack
Aug 18, 2006, 01:02 AM
Anybody who got their Mac Pro had any problems? I ordered mine a few days ago and can't wait to get it. I am expecting to love it but am a little apprehensive as I don't usually buy anything from cars to computers in the early production runs.

I'm about to order one. Only issues I have seen so far are...

1. One DoA unit.
2. One instance of the stock video card overheating - it has passive cooling and I am guessing this is an instance where the heat sink was not mounted correctly.
3. One instance of drive bay 3 not working (same unit had a follow on failire of bay 2). - Update - Stock drive works fine in all bays, but the user is trying to add some WD drives and there are problems getting them to work all the time.
4. Scattered reports of new machines not starting until the memory card risers are re-seated. The one DoA report mentioned this as a fix to try before giving in to dispair as the same thing happened to a review unit and apparently that fixed it.
5. There is no 5.
6. Parallels not yet working yet (there is a stop-gap fix that some have got working).
7. Bootcamp disk controller drivers are not too good. Drive performace is not too good in XP.
8. A report that using third party memory pulls memory speed down to 533 MHz. Perhaps they got a bad stick of memory. Perhaps Apple memory has those big heat sinks for a reason?
8. Non-Apple video cards don't work in OSX. Not exactly a surprise that one.

Asside from the Bootcamp and Parallels issues I have not seen any general problems surface yet - which is very encouraging. Check out the Apple support discussion boards. They are always a good place to get an idea of the hot issues. :D

Anyone got any more before I pull the trigger here?

kirah
Aug 22, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hey how'd you know this was what I was looking for! hehe actually YES. I need to find a place that can mod a Mac Pro Tower case to:

(a) mod a case to be as small as physically possible to take it on the road. We had a company mod out a G5 for this purpose and it works great, now we want to do it to a Mac Pro Tower but the other company isn't in business anymore.

(b) mod a tower case to fit into a 21 or 30in depth rack mount slot, hopefully not more BUs than required to save on rack space.

Sooooo anyone know a legitimate company that mods Mac towers? I'm on the West coast of the US, in CA so a local company would be sweet but not a requirement.

kira

piltupso
Aug 22, 2006, 10:25 PM
I'm about to order one. Only issues I have seen so far are...

1. One DoA unit.
2. One instance of the stock video card overheating - it has passive cooling and I am guessing this is an instance where the heat sink was not mounted correctly.
3. One instance of drive bay 3 not working (same unit had a follow on failire of bay 2). - Update - Stock drive works fine in all bays, but the user is trying to add some WD drives and there are problems getting them to work all the time.
4. Scattered reports of new machines not starting until the memory card risers are re-seated. The one DoA report mentioned this as a fix to try before giving in to dispair as the same thing happened to a review unit and apparently that fixed it.
5. There is no 5.
6. Parallels not yet working yet (there is a stop-gap fix that some have got working).
7. Bootcamp disk controller drivers are not too good. Drive performace is not too good in XP.
8. A report that using third party memory pulls memory speed down to 533 MHz. Perhaps they got a bad stick of memory. Perhaps Apple memory has those big heat sinks for a reason?
8. Non-Apple video cards don't work in OSX. Not exactly a surprise that one.

Asside from the Bootcamp and Parallels issues I have not seen any general problems surface yet - which is very encouraging. Check out the Apple support discussion boards. They are always a good place to get an idea of the hot issues. :D

Anyone got any more before I pull the trigger here?

Well mine is not here yet, it has to make it all the way to Alaska. Hope its not DOA as a return would take forever. My unit is pretty much stock so not too many issues on your list to worry about (crosses fingers). Thanks for the heads up on reseating the memory risers. I should get it in the next few days depending on weather. Its painful watching it slowly creep up the coast on the package tracking, but that is life in the bush.