Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crd26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
I have been learning Applescript recently and I can't figure out how to format the precision of a number. I have looked through forums and have looked through a couple of books as well as the Applescript Language Guide.

The "round" command comes close but isn't exactly what I need.

What I need in the end it to round numbers to the nearest two decimal places.

example : 18.094898203 to 18.09

Thanks for any help!

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
crd26 said:
I have been learning Applescript recently and I can't figure out how to format the precision of a number. I have looked through forums and have looked through a couple of books as well as the Applescript Language Guide.

The "round" command comes close but isn't exactly what I need.

What I need in the end it to round numbers to the nearest two decimal places.

example : 18.094898203 to 18.09

Thanks for any help!

Use this:

Code:
(* format is roundThis(inDec, precision) *)

roundThis(75.5436, 1) --this will round to 75.5

on roundThis(n, numDecimals)
   set x to 10 ^ numDecimals
   (((n * x) + 0.5) div 1) / x
end roundThis

There is this invention called "Google" that actually lets you search for things you are looking for the answers to your question. Trully amazing, really.

crd26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
I appreciate your help.

My looking through Google didn't pay off for me. I'm glad it did for you and thank you for sharing your findings.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Can't you just use a double variable?

Then again, I have not gone that in depth into applescript using numbers, that's where I just fall back to Java.

EDIT: Applescript doesn't support double types. Not suprised, but it's kind of an expected features, you know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.