PDA

View Full Version : Old man making the jump to Jaguar

mymemory
Mar 18, 2003, 10:43 PM
Well, I'm 28 (damn I didn't realize it:( ).

Any way, I had the chance today of installing Jaguar. The speed is about 10% faster than OS 9.2.2, at list until now. I'm in a dual 500 with 320Ram.

Stability: forget about that I crashed already 3 times today.

Multitasking: 100% I'm doing a render in a soft that runs under clasic while I'm typing this.

Navigation: I'm a fish in the water on Clasic, I'll never forgive Apple for chaning the place of things. I hate the way the windows are organize, 5 time slower than Clasic, at list in my case.

Dock: Nothing like the Apple menu items, I have to find something that gives me the same functionality. I do not want to have a Dock full of icons.

Graphics: 200% better than 9, smooth, clean, fast, not a miracle but really is what I was expecting to get from OS 9 and never found.

What I can tell is there was a really big efford from the developers to help you out with your applications, I mean, "things have to run this time no matter what".

The really big hit is gonna be OSX 10.5 or 11. But I think I won't delete this version from it partition this time. I did that 3 times before.

NavyIntel007
Mar 18, 2003, 11:01 PM
10.2 is a big improvement on 9.2 When I first got my iBook it had 9.1 and 10.0.4. I couldn't really use it at the time. 10.2 is the OS i've been waiting for.

beatle888
Mar 19, 2003, 01:27 AM
you CRASHED? like your whole system? that is super strange. ive been running jag since it came out. i do have to admit that it SUCKED at first....i think something went wrong with my installation. but after i wiped the disk and reinstalled...nothing but love. i dont recall ever crashing the system. i HAVE had some apps crash here and there but thats it.

patrick0brien
Mar 19, 2003, 11:23 AM
-mymemory

Dock: Nothing like the Apple menu items, I have to find something that gives me the same functionality. I do not want to have a Dock full of icons.

Well, you can do something similar (I assume you're talking about contextual menues in the apple menu).

I'll tell you what I do.

Create a folder in the Library of your Home (just a good place - nothing specal other than that)

I called mine "Dock Items".

In that, create further folders that help organize your applications and files. I've got folders like "Business" and "Internet".

In those "Category Folders", place aliases of the items that make sense to you. (In "Business", I place aliases of Excel and Word for example)

When done, drag those Category Folders to the right of the dividing line of the dock, they'll mount to it.

Then all you have to do when you want to launch something is either click-hold on the dock Category Folder, or right-click on the dock Category folder, and bingo! Context of the contents.

Further tips:

Delete:
If you wish to delete the contents of a Category Folder of the dock, click on it, and the folder will open in the finder, trash as you wish.

Add:
Command(open Apple)-Option drag to the dock Category Folder.

Icons:
You may, like me, find the row of Category Folders appearing in your dock less than intuitive, and wish to "Iconify" them. I use IconFactory to create icons. Just change the icons of the Category Folders" in your "Dock Items" folder and re-mount them to your dock.

szark
Mar 19, 2003, 11:27 AM

You probably want FruitMenu (http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/fruitmenu/).

mnkeybsness
Mar 19, 2003, 01:32 PM
or try dockextender (http://www.codetek.com/php/dockext.php). it's the first piece of shareware that i was actually willing to shell out $20 for. they have wonderful customer service too!

this really made me enjoy the dock a lot more.