PDA

View Full Version : newer style speaker jack

nslyax
Mar 18, 2003, 11:24 PM
Since I got my ibook in December, I have wondered what the deal was with the speaker jack. It has what appears to be 1 or 2 extra pins on the outer edge, but with no apparent use. I have since found the same jack on Ti Powerbooks, Al Powerbooks, and the 2003 Powermacs (which go so far as including the new speaker jack and a headphone jack).

Today though, I noticed that this is the same audio jack as used on the ipods, and that the extra pins would seem to be for the remote. Has anyone ever tried using the ipod remote on a mac with this new jack? Or, can anyone at least confirm that they are the same jacks? I would try, but cannot afford an ipod with the MBNA loan hanging over me (dont get an apple loan unless you can pay off QUICK). I would love to hear any information you may have on this.

PHARAOHk
Mar 19, 2003, 12:06 AM
That is really interesting I too would like to know what these are.
(((k)))

gotohamish
Mar 19, 2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by nslyax
Since I got my ibook in December, I have wondered what the deal was with the speaker jack. It has what appears to be 1 or 2 extra pins on the outer edge, but with no apparent use. I have since found the same jack on Ti Powerbooks, Al Powerbooks, and the 2003 Powermacs (which go so far as including the new speaker jack and a headphone jack).

Today though, I noticed that this is the same audio jack as used on the ipods, and that the extra pins would seem to be for the remote. Has anyone ever tried using the ipod remote on a mac with this new jack? Or, can anyone at least confirm that they are the same jacks? I would try, but cannot afford an ipod with the MBNA loan hanging over me (dont get an apple loan unless you can pay off QUICK). I would love to hear any information you may have on this.

Yeah, I tried the remote, to no avail. I'm wondering too...

SoonToGetAMac
Mar 19, 2003, 08:24 AM
I tried the remote a few weeks ago and I pressed the volume up and down buttons with iTunes open, and nothing happened at first. Once I plugged in my headphones though, the audio balance was thrown off to the left. (I just reest it in System Prefs)

Jaykay
Mar 19, 2003, 09:33 AM
Its for Apple Pro speakers.

The Pro speakers are the ones that come with the iMac (new one)

And no pro speakers dont work on the ipod. The connection is almost the same except the pro speaker jack doesnt fit around the ipod hole

NavyIntel007
Mar 19, 2003, 11:10 AM
So you're saying that the apple pro speakers fit in the new ibooks?

patrick0brien
Mar 19, 2003, 11:12 AM
-Huh!

I have a 12PB and the jack looks pretty standard to me.

Anyone got a picture?

SoonToGetAMac
Mar 19, 2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
So you're saying that the apple pro speakers fit in the new ibooks?

They don't. The standard headphone jack in 2.5mm, and the one for the Apple Pro Speakers is 1.5mm (I think). Its physically impossible to use the Pro Speakers on an iBook. They only work on the flat screen iMacs, and MDD Power M acs (I think.

tpjunkie
Mar 19, 2003, 12:43 PM
Actually, the pro speakers work on any G4 power mac since the digital audio revision, I have them working fine on my dual 533 mhz power mac at home. The speakers won't work in the ipod even with an adapter because they draw their power from the computer, thats what the extra connection on the pin is for.