PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Mac OS X 10.5 Pictures

MacRumors
Aug 14, 2006, 04:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacBidouille provides (http://www.hardmac.com/articles/60/page1/) the step by step installation screenshots as well as images of the various new features in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Last week saw the developer's release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060807161421.shtml) to developers at WWDC, along with a preview of features (http://guides.macrumors.com/Leopard) in the upcoming version of Mac OS X.

Leopard was quickly leaked (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Apple_s_Leopard_shows_up_on_file_sharing_sites/0,2000061733,39266426,00.htm) to illegal file-sharing sites and possible unannounced features (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1957) have been making the rounds.

Meanwhile, Macworld has provided detailed look at Spaces (http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leospaces/index.php), TimeMachine (http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leotimemac/index.php), Dashboard (http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leodash/index.php), Universal Access (http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leovoiceover/index.php), Mail 3 (http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leomail/index.php), iChat (http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leoichat/index.php), and iCal (http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leoical/index.php).

ppc_michael
Aug 14, 2006, 04:48 PM
Hooray for resolution independence!

Leondunkleyc
Aug 14, 2006, 04:49 PM

Fiveos22
Aug 14, 2006, 04:50 PM
I'm surprised this didn't happen more quickly.

iGary
Aug 14, 2006, 04:51 PM
This will be one I will probably skip, which is rare for me.

nagromme
Aug 14, 2006, 04:58 PM
It's always the little things that add up to a great OS version, for me. The headline features are great, but the thousand small touches can add up to even more.

One little change I appreciate: editing a filename now selects the name but not the extension.

birch25

remember there are plenty of features that apple didn't feel comfortable revealing yet. they're probably saving the UI and other user-oriented for a later event (macworld, maybe). it felt like everything they went over was geared towards devs, but that's mainly because they were talking the worldwide developer's conference.

Peyton
just a note... it was WWDC that had the previews, not macworld :)

nagromme
Aug 14, 2006, 04:59 PM
Res-independence was announced publicly by Apple (with little fanfare) many months ago:

http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/GraphicsImaging/ResolutionIndependentUI.html

just a note... it was WWDC that had the previews, not macworld :)
Those links go to Macworld the magazine :)

Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 14, 2006, 05:01 PM
I guess that the features presented at WWDC is just the tip of the iceberg. I will most certainly get my copy

VanMac
Aug 14, 2006, 05:02 PM
Looking forward to TimeMachine. I'm very slack in my backup procedures :o

PlaceofDis
Aug 14, 2006, 05:08 PM

why lie to yourself like that Gary? you know that you're just in denial about it right now. ;)

i, for one, am looking forward to leapord with every piece of new information that we learn about. no its not a huge leap, not yet, but there could be some other enhancements we don't know about yet too.

spicyapple
Aug 14, 2006, 05:19 PM
I bet Apple's implementation of Time Machine will be like Finder Disc Burning. :rolleyes:

asherman13
Aug 14, 2006, 05:33 PM
FYI, InsanelyMac has lots of stuff going on about the leaked copy of 10.5; I perused the forums there and found lots of interesting stuff.

Tommyg117
Aug 14, 2006, 05:57 PM
awesome! any leopard news is good!

RichP
Aug 14, 2006, 07:17 PM
Hmm..I wonder if the features not mentioned at WWDC are those listed by macworld..or there is "more." I thought Bootcamp would have been developed further, I would love to see fast-OS switching.

Resolution independent GUI will be nice too, although some higher dot-pitch LCDs would also be in order.

vanzskater272
Aug 14, 2006, 07:19 PM
Im getting leopard for sure:D

Ktulu
Aug 14, 2006, 07:43 PM
I will be in the market for a new computer around Feb-Mar. and I have already budgeted for Leopard whenever it comes out. I'll pick mine up at the release party, if they have one. But then they had one for both Panther and Tiger.:D

One thing that I don't seem to be able to find is how does Time Machine actually work/Back things up. What I mean is let's say I have 250GB of stuff that I want backed up. Time Machine is great for automating that, but is it a direct correlation to the amount of space I need available for the back up as well? Meaning do I also need 250GB of storage space for Time Machine to work properly or does it back-up and also compress the information.

Having several versions of even a directory spanning back to the first start up of Leopard could add up to a lot of space...

Does anyone know how Time Machine handles its back ups?:confused:

kalisphoenix
Aug 14, 2006, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know how Time Machine handles its back ups?:confused:

I was hoping for some sort of compressed .diff or something, but I think it's going to be far less interesting and take up a lot more space than that.

Leopard seems disappointingly unexciting still. I know Apple has some tricks in the bag to knock Vista out of the saddle, but.... ****. This is quite possibly the first time I've wanted a Microsoft product to ship "ahead" of schedule, and the only reason is because I want to know more about an Apple product :confused:

Mal
Aug 14, 2006, 09:39 PM
Ktulu, check out the MacBidioulle screenshots, they give you a pretty good idea. Of course, you can't see it all there, but what I noticed is that you can set how long files are kept, which would allow you to limit the space taken up, as well as I know from what was said before is that full copies are not always saved, but only the changes.

jW

Abstract
Aug 14, 2006, 09:51 PM
I like the "TO DO LIST" feature now in Mail, but don't understand the "NOTES" feature or why I'd ever use it.

I don't understand the need to make a widget out of a webpage being shown in Safari. Not at all.

The only things that really seem cool are Spaces and Time Machine, and I don't even think I'd use Time Machine since I back up things myself. :o Oh, and the To Do List feature and Spotlight improvements are small touches I'll appreciate. Not sure if it's worth the cost of upgrade, so I guess I'm with iGary until Apple "shows me the money."

ReanimationLP
Aug 14, 2006, 09:54 PM
Leopard is basically Tiger with Spaces and Time Machine so far.

And Time Machine isnt even working right for me. o.O

Classic got neutered with Leopard. There is NO Classic in Leopard.

At ALL.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 14, 2006, 10:40 PM
All I can say is that the feature that Apple is showing us to get ready for when Mac OSX Leopard is released will be very cool. But I am much more interested in the other stuff that Apple has kept to themselves.

I think the keynote for Leopard was a powerplay on Apple's behalf to stick it to Microsoft considering the releases for Vista have been pushed back serveral times and the features don't seem nearly as cool as Leopard.

JackSYi
Aug 14, 2006, 10:56 PM
I want to see the "Top Secret" features.

Plymouthbreezer
Aug 14, 2006, 10:57 PM
Leopard is basically Tiger with Spaces and Time Machine so far.

And Time Machine isnt even working right for me. o.O

At ALL.No support? Tiger didn't COME with Classic, but it was supported. Not the case?

I like the new features. Looks like a substantial update as far as smaller tweaks go.

Anyone try running a Dev Build on a G3 or slower G4 yet??

Noiseboy
Aug 14, 2006, 11:06 PM
Well I will most certainly be getting it but will wait a while to see what bugs there are before installing. Similarly Pro Tools will take ages to be compatible, Digidesign seem to be very slow at qualifying new OS releases.:confused:

Multimedia
Aug 15, 2006, 01:31 AM
I love it. Will definitely be pre-buying it for day one and be at the store too. OR Buying a new Mac with it inside. I'll have to come back to expand this post later. Top of page 2.

SiliconAddict
Aug 15, 2006, 02:01 AM
This next version is a good update to Mac OS X: No bad surprises, but no fundamental changes either. Apart from the tiring, but tolerable, bugs, with 8 months until the official release, this beta did not disappoint. The few examples shown in this article illustrate the desire and energy of Apple for providing a complete and packaged computer environment for the user. An attractive way not only thanks to the hardware, which has a limited life, but also thanks to a complete and agreeable OS and software suite. We will be delving in to the deeper parts of this system in the weeks and months to come.

Take that and apply it to any of the previous versions of OS X. the OS as we are seeing it for now is simply another minor upgrade in the evolutionary process of OS X. I stress for now because what we've seen so far does NOT warrant a banner proclaiming Vista 2.0. Is there still a gap between the two OS's? Sure. Not nearly as wide of one as there was prior to Vista which has yet to ship and which will take a couple SP's to stabilize has the foundation there.
I hope that what we've seen is only the tip of the iceberg and the real preview will come in January. I hope.

Kelmon
Aug 15, 2006, 03:07 AM
The HardMac screenshots revealed a couple of unannounced features that, while pretty basic, will make life much easier and more pleasant. While I await the "big name" features like Time Machine and Spaces, the following will be much welcomed as well:

1. Updated Find function in Safari inline with the Mozilla browsers that will find as you type, count and highlight each instance of the word or phrase on the page, and allow you to move between then easily rather than having to open the existing Find dialogue each time.

2. Renaming files, by default, will only select the file name and won't include the extension so that manual renaming can be performed faster.

Beyond this my most anticipated features are the Mail Notes and To-Do function. If a lot of applications take advantage of the To-Do system services then it'll be a fabulous function.

I don't understand the need to make a widget out of a webpage being shown in Safari. Not at all.

Makes sense if you have a web site with information that want to check regularly but where no widget currently exists. The main reason why I don't tend to use Dashboard that much at the moment is that on my old Ti PowerBook it takes so damned long to open and update so that opening the web page itself (even if the browser wasn't even running) is usually quicker. With a new MacBook Pro next month I'm hoping that will change and therefore this feature, for me, will be officially useful come next year. I can think of a few web sites that I visit to check stuff that would benefit from this.

xUKHCx
Aug 15, 2006, 04:51 AM
1. Updated Find function in Safari inline with the Mozilla browsers that will find as you type, count and highlight each instance of the word or phrase on the page, and allow you to move between then easily rather than having to open the existing Find dialogue each time.

Once you have already found one item with command + F then Command + G will cycle through the other results.

However i do like the new find feature, found apple's choice of highlight colours a little too faint for me.

I currently use Synk to do my backups, great program by the way, but i really like the look of Time Machine, anyone think the graphic should involve a delorean with burning tyre marks?

Spaces, i dunno i have used Virtue and didnt get along with it to well. Where spaces trumps Virtue is with te Expose like feature.

I will be pre-ordering it just like i did with Tiger.

If there are more "Top Secret" features (they still have 7-9 months) then that will be the icing on the cake.

aafuss1
Aug 15, 2006, 05:10 AM
I hope Apple doesn't release a Vista style public beta or CTP this time unlike when they released the Mac OS X Public beta. These would be fine for say QuickTime.

xUKHCx
Aug 15, 2006, 05:13 AM
I hope Apple doesn't release a Vista style public beta or CTP this time unlike when they released the Mac OS X Public beta. These would be fine for say QuickTime.

The change from OS9 -> OSX was massive undertaking. With the change from Tiger to Leopard the underpinnings do not change too much so there wont be a public Beta. There wasnt any public betas for Panther or Tiger. There will be lots of beta going out to the developers and people who are on the developer list (paid up member not the free account).

CrazyWingman
Aug 15, 2006, 07:36 AM

Once you have already found one item with command + F then Command + G will cycle through the other results.

xUKHCx, I think you're missing the point. Cmd+F to bring up a separate window in which you must type *then* find is inherently broken. Cmd+F "find as you type" is the way to do things correctly. It allows the user to imediately correct spelling mistakes, and to type only what she needs - no extra keystrokes. Highlighting every match at once is also a benefit to the user - he can instantly see how many hits there are on a page, rather than type Cmd+G repeatedly until he cycles to the top. This difference in Find is one of the reasons that I often pull up Firefox instead of Safari (the other being that Gmail still behaves better in Firefox).

ReanimationLP
Aug 15, 2006, 08:03 AM
No support? Tiger didn't COME with Classic, but it was supported. Not the case?

I like the new features. Looks like a substantial update as far as smaller tweaks go.

Anyone try running a Dev Build on a G3 or slower G4 yet??

There is no Classic in System Preferences.

I booted it up on a G3 by swapping out the hard disk, but it crashed a lot.

I installed Leopard on a 466 MHz G4 with 1 GB of RAM and a GeForce FX5500. It ran as smoothly as Tiger does.

playaj82
Aug 15, 2006, 09:13 AM
Does anyone think the same "leak" that happened with the Tiger developer builds will happen with the Leopard dev builds?

I'm wondering if the Apple lawsuits made people nervous about it?

xUKHCx
Aug 15, 2006, 09:17 AM
Does anyone think the same "leak" that happened with the Tiger developer builds will happen with the Leopard dev builds?

I'm wondering if the Apple lawsuits made people nervous about it?

Apparently this already has happened, search google new for it, many an article about. Cant verify it for myself as i havent downloaded it.

milo
Aug 15, 2006, 11:19 AM

At ALL.

I hadn't heard this, is it true? What's your source?

There is no Classic in System Preferences.

Did you have a 9.2 system installed on that computer?

brap
Aug 15, 2006, 06:55 PM
Apparently this already has happened, search google new for it, many an article about. Cant verify it for myself as i havent downloaded it.
Leopard looks fairly missable anyway. Tiger was cool, but the last time I was really excited about an increment was 10.3. I was at the head of the queue for the leaked betas of that one...

OK, yes, it was because Jag was still fairly fundamentally flawed [networking. Ugh.] - yet it seems all Apple are doing now, is tacking on borrowed features. I don't use expose, I don't use spotlight [due to it having broken far too often to be reliable], I don't use dashboard, and I won't use any of the silly new Leopard stuff. Especially the inane mail notes thing... and HTML? Sweet screaming baby Jesus!

The fundamentals need to be looked at again. OS X is becoming bloated beyond belief.

steve_hill4
Aug 15, 2006, 07:11 PM
I hadn't heard this, is it true? What's your source?

Did you have a 9.2 system installed on that computer?
I seem to recall when the intel transition was announced and Leopard was first discussed, it was confirmed that Leopard would finally see the ending of classic support.

It isn't on the Install disc for the developer preview, but neither is iLife and a lot of other bundled apps which usually come on disc 2.