Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacBidouille provides the step by step installation screenshots as well as images of the various new features in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Last week saw the developer's release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to developers at WWDC, along with a preview of features in the upcoming version of Mac OS X.

Leopard was quickly leaked to illegal file-sharing sites and possible unannounced features have been making the rounds.

Meanwhile, Macworld has provided detailed look at Spaces, TimeMachine, Dashboard, Universal Access, Mail 3, iChat, and iCal.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's always the little things that add up to a great OS version, for me. The headline features are great, but the thousand small touches can add up to even more.

One little change I appreciate: editing a filename now selects the name but not the extension.

birch25

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2005
iGary said:
This will be one I will probably skip, which is rare for me.

remember there are plenty of features that apple didn't feel comfortable revealing yet. they're probably saving the UI and other user-oriented for a later event (macworld, maybe). it felt like everything they went over was geared towards devs, but that's mainly because they were talking the worldwide developer's conference.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
iGary said:
This will be one I will probably skip, which is rare for me.

why lie to yourself like that Gary? you know that you're just in denial about it right now. ;)

i, for one, am looking forward to leapord with every piece of new information that we learn about. no its not a huge leap, not yet, but there could be some other enhancements we don't know about yet too.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Hmm..I wonder if the features not mentioned at WWDC are those listed by macworld..or there is "more." I thought Bootcamp would have been developed further, I would love to see fast-OS switching.

Resolution independent GUI will be nice too, although some higher dot-pitch LCDs would also be in order.

Ktulu

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
Can't wait for Leopard

I will be in the market for a new computer around Feb-Mar. and I have already budgeted for Leopard whenever it comes out. I'll pick mine up at the release party, if they have one. But then they had one for both Panther and Tiger.:D

One thing that I don't seem to be able to find is how does Time Machine actually work/Back things up. What I mean is let's say I have 250GB of stuff that I want backed up. Time Machine is great for automating that, but is it a direct correlation to the amount of space I need available for the back up as well? Meaning do I also need 250GB of storage space for Time Machine to work properly or does it back-up and also compress the information.

Having several versions of even a directory spanning back to the first start up of Leopard could add up to a lot of space...

Does anyone know how Time Machine handles its back ups?:confused:

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Ktulu said:
Does anyone know how Time Machine handles its back ups?:confused:

I was hoping for some sort of compressed .diff or something, but I think it's going to be far less interesting and take up a lot more space than that.

Leopard seems disappointingly unexciting still. I know Apple has some tricks in the bag to knock Vista out of the saddle, but.... ****. This is quite possibly the first time I've wanted a Microsoft product to ship "ahead" of schedule, and the only reason is because I want to know more about an Apple product :confused:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Ktulu, check out the MacBidioulle screenshots, they give you a pretty good idea. Of course, you can't see it all there, but what I noticed is that you can set how long files are kept, which would allow you to limit the space taken up, as well as I know from what was said before is that full copies are not always saved, but only the changes.

jW

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I like the "TO DO LIST" feature now in Mail, but don't understand the "NOTES" feature or why I'd ever use it.

I don't understand the need to make a widget out of a webpage being shown in Safari. Not at all.

The only things that really seem cool are Spaces and Time Machine, and I don't even think I'd use Time Machine since I back up things myself. :eek: Oh, and the To Do List feature and Spotlight improvements are small touches I'll appreciate. Not sure if it's worth the cost of upgrade, so I guess I'm with iGary until Apple "shows me the money."

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Leopard is basically Tiger with Spaces and Time Machine so far.

And Time Machine isnt even working right for me. o_O

Classic got neutered with Leopard. There is NO Classic in Leopard.

At ALL.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
All I can say is that the feature that Apple is showing us to get ready for when Mac OSX Leopard is released will be very cool. But I am much more interested in the other stuff that Apple has kept to themselves.

I think the keynote for Leopard was a powerplay on Apple's behalf to stick it to Microsoft considering the releases for Vista have been pushed back serveral times and the features don't seem nearly as cool as Leopard.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
ReanimationLP said:
Leopard is basically Tiger with Spaces and Time Machine so far.

And Time Machine isnt even working right for me. o_O

Classic got neutered with Leopard. There is NO Classic in Leopard.

At ALL.
No support? Tiger didn't COME with Classic, but it was supported. Not the case?

I like the new features. Looks like a substantial update as far as smaller tweaks go.

Anyone try running a Dev Build on a G3 or slower G4 yet??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.