Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
i thought i could use it effectively as help for my dvr and a backup for my powerbook, but because i can only use it as fat32 to use for both my mac and windows, it doesn't help that the file limit is 4 gigs, so i plan on returning it.

i did a couple erases, like writing 0's and am doing a 5 times write over with the disk utility program, do you think this is enough for clearing out the hard drive? what does best buy do with returned functional hard drives? i don't want to be another one of these: http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/06/one_year_ago_ha.html

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
orijinal said:
i thought i could use it effectively as help for my dvr and a backup for my powerbook, but because i can only use it as fat32 to use for both my mac and windows, it doesn't help that the file limit is 4 gigs, so i plan on returning it.
Why don't you partition it and format it e.g. half as HFS+, 1/3 NTFS and the rest (1/6) as FAT32 for any files you want to transfer between your PC and Mac?

I have a external firewire HD that I've set up as 20GB FAT32, 20GB HFS+ with OS X installed as a backup in case something goes wrong with my main drive, and the rest as HFS+ for data backups (I know, it's not really a backup if it's not off-site)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.