Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
what do u think would be the best way to spend 1800 USD on a mac product(s)?

btw I am a student in high school

i am thinking like a refurbed ibook with a combo drive, for say 800, and then an ipod for 400, making 1200, and then maybe using the leftovers to buy ram, mac necesary software, and a few accessories.

what do u guys think

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Although, for $1250 at the education store you can get an superdrive emac along with a $370 10 GB ipod. The question is are you willing to sacrifice portability for a Superdrive and a faster bus?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Wait on the iPod. $400 is a waste of your money for what is essentially a toy. The money is better spent on a better computer that will be of more use to you for a longer period of time. G4 eMac will be a better machine 3 years from now (think OS XI or whatever... may not run on a G3) than the iBook will be. Not to mention the physical durability factor of a desktop vs notebook.

Don't forget about sales tax and shipping costs too ;)

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
If you are set on a notebook, get either the iBook (they're great machines!) or a refurb PowerBook. Then you will have cash to spend on enhancements, such as a scanner, printer, or even a descent digital camera. If portable music is a must, invest in high-end headphones.

iPod is a luxury I do without by playing tunes through my iBook. This may or may not suit you.

Dan

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
If I had that kind of money for a mac I would get a dual 1.25 GHZ powermac for 1899 (education store). You would need about 150 for a monitor from walmart so its a little more then you want to pay, but this is in my opinion the best priced powermac to date (with there normal prices it would be 500 bucks more!)

If you need portability get an ibook and save your money untill the next set of ipods

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.