PDA

View Full Version : Resetting the motherboard

Tall Guy
Mar 19, 2003, 03:18 PM
A week ago my good ol' G4 wouldn't start up anymore. I would push on the power-button, but nothing would happen, not even a sound or a hard-drive spinning so I took the machine to a repair-shop. It turned out that all they had to do was to "reset the motherboard".

My question is: Is this a common problem ? How difficult is resetting the motherboard ? Is there just a button you have to press, or is it more involved than that ?
Not that I'm planning to try it straight away, just curious.

idkew
Mar 19, 2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Tall Guy
A week ago my good ol' G4 wouldn't start up anymore. I would push on the power-button, but nothing would happen, not even a sound or a hard-drive spinning so I took the machine to a repair-shop. It turned out that all they had to do was to "reset the motherboard".

My question is: Is this a common problem ? How difficult is resetting the motherboard ? Is there just a button you have to press, or is it more involved than that ?
Not that I'm planning to try it straight away, just curious.

just a little button somewhere. look around the 'board, you will see it. it is usually a small 4mm or so black circle button in an aluminium caseing...

alset
Mar 20, 2003, 02:26 AM
Look for it near your battery. Don't hold it down, as the battery will drain very quickly.

Dan

timbloom
Mar 20, 2003, 03:14 AM
hold it one time for less than a second, holding it any longer can cause your PRAM battery to become your next fancy paperweight.