Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

druid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
hey, im new here so sorry if this question has already been asked. I did a search but found no light.

Im interested in broadening my horizons and learning a bit of C#. However as this is part of that .net malarky im debating the ease of coding in it on my wonderful mac. Is this possible at all?

Cheers

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
There are no good native c# development environments on the Mac, and that's a crying shame.

So parallels + windows 2K + VS.Net 2005 is the best way to go.
If you're 'stuck' on a G4/G5, Virtual PC may be an option, but you'd better have 2 gigs on your machine.

Cheers,
Palad1
VPC User

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Palad1 said:
There are no good native c# development environments on the Mac, and that's a crying shame.

So parallels + windows 2K + VS.Net 2005 is the best way to go.
If you're 'stuck' on a G4/G5, Virtual PC may be an option, but you'd better have 2 gigs on your machine.

Cheers,
Palad1
VPC User
2 Gigs, that's an understatement, better get 4 to be safe =P seriously, you eat up memory with Virtual PC. Its basically like you can't run anything else with Virtual PC running. + I hope the G4 if you do have a G4 is dual processor, cause yeah... on my iBook G4 1.33GHz, VPC runs XP at what it claims is 266MHz, and I have a GB of RAM.

hsvmoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2006
Huntsville Al
Java ?

C# is just another MS twist on another's good idea. Try JAVA it is very similar to C# and is portable to almost any platform that you would want to use.

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
hsvmoon said:
C# is just another MS twist on another's good idea. Try JAVA it is very similar to C# and is portable to almost any platform that you would want to use.

I second that.

Grover

macrumors member
May 14, 2004
You can try X-develop and mono

You won't get 100% compatibility out of mono but it does work very well - including it is possible to get their ASP.NET module working under Apache on OS X. If you stick to namespaces that are largely or completely implemented in mono and which are not platform-specific, for instance System.Xml, you can do quite a bit of work that way. That said, if you're going to be developing .NET code that will eventually run on Windows, you're going to want a Windows environment at least for testing.

I seldom see it mentioned but http://www.omnicore.com has a very nice (Java-based) multi-language (supports C#, VB.NET, Java and several others) IDE which you can run on Windows, Linux and OS X. It is possible to use it with mono do to .NET development on OS X.

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
Just out of curiosity, how do you _say_ C#? Do you say "C Sharp" or "C Number"? I know it's a dumb question, but I've always wondered that. :eek:

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
maxrobertson said:
Just out of curiosity, how do you _say_ C#? Do you say "C Sharp" or "C Number"? I know it's a dumb question, but I've always wondered that. :eek:
C#-- edit -- oops C Sharp cause its a stricter version of C - or that's what I read.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
maxrobertson said:
C Sharp. "#" in this case is pronounced as the musical term ("A note that is raised a half step") as opposed to the telephone term (the pound key) or just the number symbol.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
apfhex said:
C Sharp. "#" in this case is pronounced as the musical term ("A note that is raised a half step") as opposed to the telephone term (the pound key) or just the number symbol.
==OT== Odd isn't it, # means - Telephone = Pound, Music = A note that is raised a half step, Numbers = Placeholder for a number or say number x ( #x ), Game = Tic-Tac-Toe Grid =P ok so I added that one, but # does look like a slanted tic-tac-toe board.

aquanutz

macrumors regular
For my .Net apps that I've written I have used both Virtual PC + VS .Net and Mono (on my intel machine)

Virtual PC really didn't run too shabby at all. I only had a 1.5 gigs of ram on my 1.25ghz G4 and it was fine.

When I got my intel machine and used mono for the command line apps, it was just fine. Everything worked cross platform as you would think it would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.