PDA

View Full Version : Folding, offline for a day.

MrMacMan
Mar 19, 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted at folding news:
3/17/2003 PLANNED SHUTDOWN, FRIDAY MARCH 21

The power in our building is being rerouted and we are being forced to have a planned shutdown. We will likely take all of the F@H servers off line Friday, March 21 around 5pm PST and then bring them up around 1pm Saturday, March 22. The exact times may change slightly. We had a previous planned shutdown like this which went relatively smoothly and we hope that this will go smoothly as well.

news page (http://folding.stanford.edu/news.html)

So if you notice none of you WU were being sent... you have a reason. Expect massive stats glitches and huge dumps when they turn ém back on.

I suppose anystats page would be useless for days.

Rower_CPU
Mar 19, 2003, 08:57 PM
Ha...this actually works to our advantage.

Since Macs fold slower than PCs, PC based teams will just sit there waiting for the units to get sent while more of our slower machines catch up. :)

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 19, 2003, 09:07 PM
Hope this doesnt sound to ignorant , but where can i go to find out all the ins and outs of this such as stystem reqs, goals, whats been done and what can be done,how it affects my system etc etc.

Rower_CPU
Mar 19, 2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Hope this doesnt sound to ignorant , but where can i go to find out all the ins and outs of this such as stystem reqs, goals, whats been done and what can be done,how it affects my system etc etc.

Not at all. We've got a page just for curious folks like you:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=21908

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 19, 2003, 09:15 PM
Thanks ill check it out and maybe my slow old g4 will be added to the collective( I know resistance is futile)

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 19, 2003, 09:32 PM
Hey rower if you are still in there, is running 3.24 as a screen saver be enough to help and also iam on osx.1.5 I really dont mess with the terminal.

Rower_CPU
Mar 19, 2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Hey rower if you are still in there, is running 3.24 as a screen saver be enough to help and also iam on osx.1.5 I really dont mess with the terminal.

Whatever you are comfortable doing is appreciated. :)

MrMacMan
Mar 19, 2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Ha...this actually works to our advantage.

Since Macs fold slower than PCs, PC based teams will just sit there waiting for the units to get sent while more of our slower machines catch up. :)

Ha I doubt that it will effect us much... all I know is that the stats will be utterly useless when they turn it back on.
Imagine stats man for us
6 AM - 0
12 - 0
6 - 3,000+
9 - 200

:eek:

mc68k
Mar 21, 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Imagine stats man for us
6 AM - 0
12 - 0
6 - 3,000+
9 - 200
that's pretty accurate...with a jump of 3000 the next hour would not be 200 though.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 21, 2003, 11:49 AM
Ah, looks like there's a chance 2 of my machines might finish up WU's tonight - oh well. A few hours down time won't be a dissaster.

D

MrMacMan
Mar 21, 2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Ah, looks like there's a chance 2 of my machines might finish up WU's tonight - oh well. A few hours down time won't be a dissaster.

D

They will be down 19 hours in a row... well according to them.
With my superior math skills.

'that's pretty accurate...with a jump of 3000 the next hour would not be 200 though'

why not? Plus I had 'hour' divisions of 3 hours. Because I'm sure the severs will be swamped.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 21, 2003, 05:05 PM
Well, doing a little math myself, one of my WU will be done 2 hours after its shut down....doh!

That's ok, not a big deal, you know? I could work around it, stop the process, copy the directory out, empty the original one, and let it start a new one, saving the old one to finish later. Its really not worth the trouble.

D

shadowfax
Mar 22, 2003, 02:19 AM
Ah! i was wondering why none of the links were working!

75/400 steps through my first WU, hehe. gosh this takes a long time :). it's neat to get into this finally, though. the terminal client is very cool.

alset
Mar 22, 2003, 03:43 AM
I had been wondering about this all night. Lucky I got my new WU going before. I only have one that will finish while F@H is down.

BTW - If anyone is interested, I added 9 machines (8 are duals) to the team, today. Let's whoop some booty.

Dan

MrMacMan
Mar 22, 2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by alset
I had been wondering about this all night. Lucky I got my new WU going before. I only have one that will finish while F@H is down.

BTW - If anyone is interested, I added 9 machines (8 are duals) to the team, today. Let's whoop some booty.

Dan

Very nice to have you aboard. :D Remember you want #3446 and a name you want to be seen as. :D
The FAQ should answer most of your questions, there was a reason it was made. :o

mc68k
Mar 22, 2003, 11:52 AM
BTW - If anyone is interested, I added 9 machines (8 are duals) to the team, today. Let's whoop some booty.good showing! i trust all went well?

shadowfax
Mar 22, 2003, 12:12 PM
man, now i feel bad :(; i only added my GHz TiBook.

MrMacMan
Mar 22, 2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
man, now i feel bad :(; i only added my GHz TiBook.

Hey and I'm only running my iMac 800. Don't feel bad unless you have other computers not running, then feel bad. ;)

Folding is back up and stats are all f'ed. yeah... but it seems that we outproducted like over 500 points over all the other teams (within like 7 spots of us) if the stats are getting to be correct... I hope its true :D

shadowfax
Mar 23, 2003, 01:04 AM
are you guys OK with PCs contributing(to a mac team)? i have 2 old P3s that are usually doing nothing. is it true that i can't run a screensaver version of F@H on windows98 though? one of the computers is still on 98 :(

Rower_CPU
Mar 23, 2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
are you guys OK with PCs contributing(to a mac team)? i have 2 old P3s that are usually doing nothing. is it true that i can't run a screensaver version of F@H on windows98 though? one of the computers is still on 98 :(

Not to worry...take a look at mc68k's stats, not to mention mine. ;)

Stelliform
Mar 23, 2003, 09:48 PM
This day outage is really messing with my stats. I have several computers that got 70 point WU's before the outage. (I guess to keep them busy, and they are still crunching. :)) I guess I will just leapfrog ahead when they start dropping them...