Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
I was just wondering how many of us UK mac users have just got their exam results and if they have got into the uni they wanted/with what results?

I got into Northumbria Uni at Newcastle to do a Geography B/Sc with CDD:)

Also how many of us are getting a new mac or have just got one for uni??

Im getting a MacBook Pro 17" when apple put meroms in:p

Thanks all.:D

p.s. i wish they'd hurry with the meroms im startin my course on the 16th of sept!!

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Congrats on your results. How I remember those heady days with glee :) . Recieveing my A-Level results is still one of the happiest days of my life so far. :cool:

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
i was brickin it:p im chuffed to bits now though :D oh another question 4 everyone!! who made the most dramatic entrance to collect your results? i went in on my big tractor :p hehe

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
BBC which has got me into my 1st (lancaster for biomedical).
My one year old 12" powerbook will be with me all the way!
And no, i just drove in casually, being carefull to avoid fellow students splayed on the road as a result of the 10.30 exam rush :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
God that takes me back. I went into college with two friends to pick up our A level results. I was really happy with my ABC which got me onto my Engineering course at Loughborough Uni. Unfortunately one of my two friends missed out on her course. She'd been complaining through the run up to the exams that her parents were constantly getting her to devote time to their church rather than allowing her to revise, but she'd been hoping she'd done enough until she saw the grades in front of her. Real up and down feelings to the day.

I hope you've all got the grades you need for whatever your plans are. A levels are definitely the hardest exams you'll take academically, since degree ones are all in related subjects to each other. So congratulations to all of you that have done well.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
dynamicv said:
I hope you've all got the grades you need for whatever your plans are. A levels are definitely the hardest exams you'll take academically, since degree ones are all in related subjects to each other. So congratulations to all of you that have done well.

So far I have found my university exams way more difficult than I ever found my A-levels. The sheer volume of things you have to know for a undergraduate exam far outweighs what I ever had to know at A-level. And the reading....bleugh! Now I don't want to get back to uni :( .

Then again, I guess there are too many variables to make an accurate comparison. It depends on what you took at A-level, what you took at university, what university you went to, etc, etc.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Ahh Uni exams can be harder but A levels are pretty tough!!!

Well Done to my brother who is going to Staffordshire Uni to do Automotive Engineering!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
ABD, D in maths which kills it for me, i have a place at herriot watt uni in Edinburgh which i'm on the fence about it looks ok though everyone i know is all skeptical about it.

i may just retake a couple of maths exams and get a B/A seeing as i totally failed two of the modules when my left eyesight suddenly went very bad.

i'm generally happy as i was expecting BBD and haveing an A is nice.

Subliving

macrumors member
May 31, 2005
Leeds, UK
Well done everyone so far! It's been tough, but I'm sure everyone is really proud of their results.

As for me, I got BBDD at A level, and BC at AS level, which was enough to get me into my first choice university, City Uni in London.

Subliving.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Jaffa Cake said:
Congratulations to all our eminently qualified members, and don't go paying any notice to those who are trying to belittle your achievement or the work you've put in over the past two years. :rolleyes:

...with schools minister Jim Knight insisting A grades are not "handed out like sweets".

Where can I find someone handing out these sweets? :)

Well done everyone.. My older sister also got her results today - she got AAA, and is going to Leeds.

Subliving

macrumors member
May 31, 2005
Leeds, UK
XIII said:
Well done everyone.. My older sister also got her results today - she got AAA, and is going to Leeds.

Fantastic results! I had a friend today get AAAAAB, and she was gutted about the B... work that one out!

Your sister will have the best time in Leeds, it's a great place to live, and a great place to be a student. Hope she enjoys it!

Subliving.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
XIII said:
Where can I find someone handing out these sweets? :)

I'd say that smarts run in your family, based solely on your avatar and sig :cool:

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
gauchogolfer said:
I'd say that smarts run in your family, based solely on your avatar and sig :cool:

Heheh :D. I have yet to complement you on your signature, very nice. :)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
XIII said:
Heheh :D. I have yet to complement you on your signature, very nice. :)

Not to get too far off-topic, I thought that it would be appropriate to have an Henry quote in his native language. I'm sticking with the puppy for a while yet, though.

Back on-topic, congrats to everyone with their results, and best luck in the future! :)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
My older sister got her results today. A A D Everyone got a D for DT in her school, it looks like they've done something really wrong...

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Had my AS results.

I took English, Psychology and Art/Photography.

Dropped English at the beginning, and taking up Media in September (in its place)- which left me with 2 AS's for this year. (the minimum)

Soon became clear I was pretty useless at Psychology - but it was too late to swap and change, so I was stuck with it. Today, my grades stand at A and U. How ****!

So when I go back in September, my final A-level year, I'm continuing Art, taking up a 2-year A-level IT course in 1 year, and taking an AS in Media Studies. I need at least 2 full A Levels to qualify for the Welsh BAC (An extra subject we do, which 'gives' us 120 UCAS points).

So it looks terrible on paper today, but come September, all will be well again. Dread the day I chose Psychol. though!

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
well dun every1! sounds like theres alot of happiness 2day!:D one lass in my school got 6 A's n distinction in her further german exam or summat bt shes fluent so thats cheating!!!:p she doing international law at oxford!! it makes u sick!!:eek:

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
AS Results

Graphics A
ICT A
Maths A
Media B

Dropping media next year, and but I have no idea what I want to do in the future!
Initial thought of something in the design industry, but not sure . . .

::20ROGERSC::

L

Lau

Good god, what are you all doing posting on here? Are you not in the pub?!

Congratulations to all of you. (dynamicv, it's the good people that get ABC ;) )

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
Well Lau i'd guess most people are going to the pub 2nite. i certainly am most of the year is im guessing!!

p.s. nice signature Lau:p pink floyd rock!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'm really on the fence now wether to go to heriot watt or retake some maths and reapply to cam/ed/UCL/imperial next year, i could totally get an A in maths if i retook the couple of modules i screwed up due to eye strain, and probably retake a physics paper or two and push that up to an A.

i really don't know what to do, i really want to move to Edinburgh asap but not at the expense of my career

L

Lau

21stcenturykid said:
Well Lau i'd guess most people are going to the pub 2nite. i certainly am most of the year is im guessing!!

This evening! That's hours away. :p We all went to the pub in the morning. :D Oddly, while we were at the pub a friend of mine was accosted by a older man at the bar, and we were a bit worried that he was sleazy. But then he came over with a four wine glasses and put them down on the table, and went away. Hmm. Then he came over with a bottle of champagne (Moët & Chandon at £35!), put it down on the table and said "I can see you're celebrating your A-levels. My daughter did hers last year, and I'm really proud of her, and I just found 10 grand in the roof of a house I'm clearing out, and so have some bubbly on me. We were totally overwhelmed, and tried to get him to join us, and he wouldn't have any of it. And then he came over again, and put £35 down on the table, and said "Get another one in after that". And by this point we were totally overwhelmed and grateful, and then he said, "Hang on, you'll just spend that on beer" and went and got another bottle for us, in a little bucket with ice, and still said "No, no, none for me, just enjoy your day and good luck for the future".

It was one of those unbelievably random acts of kindness and generosity that stays with you for ever, and we all felt dreadful for thinking he was just sleazing over 18 year olds at the bar. :eek: God knows if he had found 10 grand in the house, but it was such a nice thing to do and to not expect anything back.

And it got us totally fannied as well. :p By midnight in the vilest club in town, things were messy...:D And the moral of the story is, if you go to the pub soon, exciting things might happen. ;)

---------------------

Hector, why would going to Heriot-Watt be at the expense of your career? Do you mean you could go to a better uni next year, or that having a B rather than a D by next year would be good career wise? What subject will you be studying again?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Lau said:
"My daughter did hers last year, and I'm really proud of her, and I just found 10 grand in the roof of a house I'm clearing out, and so have some bubbly on me. "
Call me cynical, but the guy just found £10k? He didn't have a JCB parked outside did he? With a few bricks and a NatWest sign in the bucket?

L

Lau

dynamicv said:
Call me cynical, but the guy just found £10k? He didn't have a JCB parked outside did he? With a few bricks and a NatWest sign in the bucket?

:D I think we muttered that amongst ourselves at the time. He did seem a nice bloke, and didn't seem to want conversation or sexual favours for buying us it, and so we thought he must be ok. And it was 2 bottles of champagne for us lot, so who's complaining...:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.